Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 5th May 2004, 02:19   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can you imagine watching Formula one without Bridgestone and Michelin making the most of their strengths in hot or wet conditions...F1 without tyre wars?

This is just one of the stupid rule changes approved yet again by MAD Mosley and his band of monkeys. Why keep changing the rules of the game every year? Talk about being indecisive.

Formula One team chiefs agreed in principal to give the go-ahead to sweeping changes designed to make the sport more exciting after a meeting with FIA president Max Mosley here Tuesday.

A new engine format, a single tyre supplier and a ban on electronic driver aids were three of the many areas accepted by the teams for introduction by the 2008 season.

Mosley and the 10 team principals were joined by the sport's commercial rights holder, Bernie Ecclestone, and several engine manufacturers for the meeting, which took place in the Automobile Club de Monaco. And Mosley said: "It was a very good meeting. Where I had expected very significant dispute and debate there really was none and it was very constructive.

"We went through all of the proposals and discussed them with the teams in some detail and as far as doing things sooner than 2008 there was a wide measure of agreement that we need changes much sooner. It will make Formula One more interesting, there will be closer racing and more overtaking. The basic idea is to make the racing closer and more interesting for the fans because that is what they want to see."

The engine format could be brought in two years early, by 2006, if engine manufacturers can come up with an efficient method of reducing costs when they meet to discuss ideas at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

Mosley added: "I think we are going to see a new engine formula in 2006 and the engine manufacturers are going to make proposals in addition to those that we have made to reduce the engine cost by 50 percent."

A new qualifying format could be brought in before the end of the year after team principals agreed the back-to-back single lap system introduced this season has failed.

Mosley hopes the changes will improve the spectacle and put a greater emphasis on driver skills while also reducing operating costs and encouraging new teams to enter the sport. He is also pushing for a reduction in non-event testing throughout the year and is also keen on banning mid-race tyre changes while retaining refuelling stops in Grands Prix.

He believes the sport has suffered from a lack of entertainment in recent years and pointed to the battle between Valentino Rossi and Max Biaggi in the opening MotoGP race of the year as an example to follow.

"Everyone I know who likes racing is still talking about Valentino Rossi and Max Biaggi in South Africa. These people care about racing and I think that the point on that is now being accepted."

The conclusions from the meeting here, and from the additional engine manufacturer's discussions, will now be presented for approval to the FIA's World Motorsport Council at a meeting to take place on June 30.

Original article sourced from here on F1-live
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 19:51   #2
Tom
BHPian

F1 has become really boring.
Hope the A1 generates some more interest.

F1 viewrship in Europe is at an all time low
most die hard fans are switching to Moto GP and WRC

cant blame shcumi he's jus doing what he enjoys most
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 20:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

u bet.. but would reserve my comments on schumi part lol..
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 21:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the new rules will make F1 even more interesting. I don't mind the new rules.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 21:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Stupid!
What next? A single engine supplier? A single brand of lubricants?
As Geoffrey Boycott would say, "Even my mum would handle things better."
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2004, 21:47   #6
zen
BHPian

ya the new rules arent that bad..

The tyre war isnt really one because Bridgestone are designing tyres with only Ferrari in mind leaving the rest of the Bridgestone users to suffer.

The engine format should reduce the disparity between the top teams and the lower half somewhat..
zen is offline   Reply With Quote