Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 27th September 2010, 21:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the race was really won in qualifying
Probably.
But, if Vettel had qualified P1, Alonso would probably have tried to pass him and Vettel would have crashed as usual, probably taking out Alonso with him as well.
Hamilton should stop being so impatient about overtaking someone.
I really wish Webber's car got damaged along with Hamilton's.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 07:57   #77

I was pleasantly surprised to see my Tiger Air Weds BLR-SIN flight packed with Indian race fans. Thought Id share a few thoughts on Saturdays quals and Sundays race.

25 Sept Saturday 1900h

We took the MRT to City Hall. As soon as we entered the course near the south end of the circuit we caught them shrieking by between T15 and 16. The cars were less than 30 feet away and the noise as they downshift like thunder claps. The McLaren cars are usually the loudest but I felt that they were a little more subdued compared to the noise I heard at USGP 2000. Maybe my hearing is going...

Checked out the vintage car display which was really no great shakes - as expected (MGTF, MGA, MG Midget 1960s, MG Midget 1930s, MB 190SL, MB 280SL Pagoda). The standouts were 1939 BMW 327 (a rare war era machine), 2 Rolls Royce Type 20/25s from the 1930s - one of them was the oldest RR in Malaya being brought in new.

But for the reputation of the marque I have to wonder why the RR engineers of the early 1930s never thought to lower the engine behind the front axle to lower the CD and center of gravity to make for a more stable ride like MB Typ 710 and Alfa 6C1750 GS of the age were engineered. Gave the RRs and Bentleys (Barnato boys etc.) of the age a more lorry type appearance and ride IMHO. Being a fan of Tim Birkin I always wondered how he would do compared to Dick Seaman if both were in Alfas or Mercedes.

Went for dinner at Circular Road and had some fantastic Nasi Padang. Surprisingly the area was relatively empty as most of the roads around there were closed to traffic. Later we settled into out $40 seats at the Bay Grandstand to see them come through for quals between 2000 - 2300 at T17 and 18. It was neat to see all 4 brake rotors aglow. Alonso was on a mission as his car allowed one hot lap - he made it count.

26 Sept Sunday 1900h
We took the MRT to City Hall. We walked around the Padang and had a laugh at some of the silly pre race performances ala Cirque Du Soleil. The decent thing was that food and water was reasonably priced at less than $10. Water was available for $3 SGD - considerably less than the $4-5 USD thats usual for California. It makes things more affordable for families etc.

Settled into our top row seats at the far end (at the railing) of the Padang Grandstand near the Cricket Club chicane directly in front of the Supreme Court building. So the vantage was incredible. We were able to see the cars at full rip down the straight at T9 and downshifting in a matter of meters and one plus second to slow down for the chicane at T10. Alonso never really looked under threat as he focused and got the job done leading every lap of the race (Grand Chelem). Pit stop strategy was largely moot as numerous were done under yellow. As for Hamilton, choosing to pass on the outside at Monaco or Singapore street circuit is baffling. To see the cars encounter and bounce over the chicane 61 times and not suffer damage is a true feat of engineering.

Amazed to see so many people skipping the race to wait for Mariah Carey - whatever floats your boat as they say. Stayed for the first song. Post race dinner at Clarke Quay sampling great Mediterranean food at a friend's restaurant and bar, watching Newcastle lose to Stoke, talking the night away about the good state of Asia's economies...long may they run.
Squidink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 10:50   #78
BHPian

Moment of the race from Alonso's point of view IMO was the start : he managed to put a squeeze on Vettel, leaving him no room at all inspite of Vettel having the speed on Alonso.

That Vettel managed to be on his tail till the chequered flag speaks volumes of his temperament, while Alonso maintained a 'Schumi-like' determined & flawless effort in holding his position in a high pressure situation. After all, its more difficult to hold lead than to tail.

I think from here on, its not about which car is better, but more about which driver is better in a pressure situation. Hamilton's got the special magnetic field around him to attract trouble in such situations.
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 14:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Now here's an interesting titbit, would've really been one hell of a twist if it had happened

Quote:
Inspecting Webber's car after the race, the Red Bull engineers were horrified to discover that Webber had been within millimetres of his rear tyre, damaged in the clash with Hamilton, slipping off the rim.

The collision had pushed the tyre off its normal mounting on the rim and there was just 5mm of tyre left holding it on the rim. If it had slipped it would almost certainly have resulted in a blow out. Had that occurred Webber would almost certainly have failed to score points, putting Alonso into the championship lead!
Source:
http://www.espnstar.com/opinion/colu...umn/item56310/

Last edited by suman : 28th September 2010 at 14:06.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 17:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now here's an interesting titbit, would've really been one hell of a twist if it had happened

Source:
Sports | Columns | Steve Slater | ESPNSTAR.com
How I wish Webbo would have crashed. Think he is desperate & determined (that's a lethal combo) to win this year as he knows next year he will be older than what he is now and it will be a long shot. Seb , I think is the preferred man for Herr Marko & gang !!
Hammy for the title from now. Fortune favours the brave.
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 18:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

i'm putting my money on Alonso!
He has the experience & the speed for the 'controlled aggression' required.
With Kimi absent, he is the ICEMAN!

but there is still a gap to be made up, to the red bulls, we must not forget that.
Singapore was a bit lucky
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 05:34   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Killer move by Ferrari.

They would have most definetly lost the lead during pitstops because Vettel (who was at least 1/2 sec faster all weekend) was being blocked by Alonso and would have pulled a couple of super fast laps in clean air to take the lead after they rejoin.

But they were smart...when they saw Redbull mechanics moving to position, they immediately brought Alonso in on the same lap and thus the blocking continued till the end.

Surprisingly nobody noticed?

Last edited by Mpower : 30th September 2010 at 05:35.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 09:40   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Killer move by Ferrari.

They would have most definetly lost the lead during pitstops because Vettel (who was at least 1/2 sec faster all weekend) was being blocked by Alonso and would have pulled a couple of super fast laps in clean air to take the lead after they rejoin.

But they were smart...when they saw Redbull mechanics moving to position, they immediately brought Alonso in on the same lap and thus the blocking continued till the end.

I did. My eyes were on the pits all along. It was a superb reaction from Ferrari and quite a good stop from them too because I noticed that the gap between the two was a little more than the time they came in.

The Constructors looks a long shot but Alonso has upped his hopes on the drivers championship big time. Keep a cool head and drive focussed in the remaining races. I'm loving the new points system.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 13:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Killer move by Ferrari.

I dont agree, half a second is an inflated figure.

You're reading far too much into practive times.

You cant hide 0.5 sec in qualifying. And if they had that pace in the race they would have waited for alonso to pit first (what Jenson didnt do in the last race) before pitting themselves.

Ure also forgetting that alonso slowed his pace to protect his already suspect engine.

But killer move no doubt
Old 30th September 2010, 21:04   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I dont agree, half a second is an inflated figure.

You cant hide 0.5 sec in qualifying.
No problem. Facts are facts. I missed Saturday but I believe he lost pole due to a botched up lap in quali3.

He was right on Alonso's bumper all race. What are the odds that their laptimes are exactly the same? None if you ask me. If Alonso was truly faster, he would have pulled a nice gap by pitstop time.

Problem is that Vettel lacks (clean) overtaking skills and Redbull team is lacking in strategy.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st October 2010 at 00:19.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 21:31   #86
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Hamilton should stop being so impatient about overtaking someone.
I really wish Webber's car got damaged along with Hamilton's.
Why do you wish so? Webber pitted at the right moment and got ahead of Hamilton. Hamilton's maneuver was irresponsible as there was no space and Webber had the racing line. It would have been a shame if Webber had to retire because of Hamilton's folly.

Rgds

Last edited by Garipagol : 30th September 2010 at 21:32.
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 10:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No problem. Facts are facts. I missed Saturday but I believe he lost pole due to a botched up lap in quali3.

He was right on Alonso's bumper all race. What are the odds that their laptimes are exactly the same? None if you ask me. If Alonso was truly faster, he would have pulled a nice gap by pitstop time.
With half a second vettel wouldnt have needed to leave it only 1 lap in Quali.
Which was the case at the beginning of the season

I never said Alonso was quicker!
just saying that red bul was only marginally quicker. half a sec is HUGE

The Mclarens were almost a second off the pace and look how much behind Button finished
(taking into account 2 safety car periods)
Old 1st October 2010, 11:16   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Why do you wish so? Webber pitted at the right moment and got ahead of Hamilton. Hamilton's maneuver was irresponsible as there was no space and Webber had the racing line. It would have been a shame if Webber had to retire because of Hamilton's folly.

Rgds
+1 It would have been a disaster if Webber had to retire. It was nothing short of a miracle that he finished.There was a huge Oz contigent rooting for Mark including the marshall's .

Also I do not think Vettel was quicker than Alonso on race day. maybe they were predicting storms and a wet track. He was tailing fernando for say 10-11 laps and couldn't make use of straights as well.

One of my fav shot of the GP.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 F1 Singapore - Singtel Grand prix-dscn4382.jpg  

Last edited by 2theMax : 1st October 2010 at 11:19.
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote