Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 2nd October 2010, 14:09   #16
BHPian

I am sure NONE of the middle tier teams are looking at Karun. I guess he is still a rookie and HRT did their job well of messing up his career. What is the best option for Karun I guess will be Lotus or Virgin. At least Lotus and Virgin are serious about racing rather than HRT who are there for the sponsorship and exposure.
VictorSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
I do like to believe Karun was faster than Senna . Its the race which counts in the championship and not qualifying , though qualifying might be a better indicator of outright speed on a single lap .
I don't think Karun was faster than Senna in the races either. It's just that Senna's car kept breaking down. And if we look at the quali, it is not even close. He was outqualified 7 times to 2, that is huge. And even in GP2 when they were teammates, Senna beat Karun very badly. If we overcome our bias that he is our countryman, I don't think Karun deserves a seat in F1 at all, leave alone Mercedes or Ferrari. His best chance is a Force India seat but Mallya has already said that he will give a chance to an indian driver only if he thinks he is worth it.

By the way, Lotus have already confirmed that they will retain both Heikki and Trulli for next year ( and i frankly think that both of them are much better than Karun, even if they are mediocre by F1 standards ) . And if they did fire a driver, they already have Fairuz Fauzy on reserve and he is their preferred driver, being Malaysian and all.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 05:36   #18
BHPian

Wether Karun deserves it or not,he is at the right place at the right time.

Bernie is not a fool to run the Indian GP in 2011 without an Indian behind the wheels of a F1 car
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 11:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Wether Karun deserves it or not,he is at the right place at the right time.

Bernie is not a fool to run the Indian GP in 2011 without an Indian behind the wheels of a F1 car
Which is why I feel it is going to be a one-shot race deal for Karun, for Force India. That would make the most marketing sense.

While the fans would know that it is just a one-race deal, the general public would perhaps go in for the novelty and the fact that an Indian is driving in the race for an Indian owned F1 team.
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 13:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Which is why I feel it is going to be a one-shot race deal for Karun, for Force India. That would make the most marketing sense.

While the fans would know that it is just a one-race deal, the general public would perhaps go in for the novelty and the fact that an Indian is driving in the race for an Indian owned F1 team.
Force India has steadily improved in terms of performance and finishing races. Sutil may have done better earlier if Kimi has not taken a liking to his backside. But Force India is on a upswing albeit slow one. Vijay M is too smart and savvy to be nationalistic in a fiercely competitive (extremely expensive) international sport. I do not think Chandok will get a place just because he is an Indian. Vitantonio Liuzzi surely needs to go. But it is unlikely Chandok will get that place. There are too many better drivers waiting in the wings.

Rgds
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 14:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Force India has steadily improved in terms of performance and finishing races. Sutil may have done better earlier if Kimi has not taken a liking to his backside. But Force India is on a upswing albeit slow one. Vijay M is too smart and savvy to be nationalistic in a fiercely competitive (extremely expensive) international sport. I do not think Chandok will get a place just because he is an Indian. Vitantonio Liuzzi surely needs to go. But it is unlikely Chandok will get that place. There are too many better drivers waiting in the wings.

Rgds
I didn't mean that one Force India driver will be replaced for the whole season. Just for that one Indian GP. And realistically, even with the improved pace, I do not see Force India next year being championship contenders. So they can afford to give the race opprotunity to Karun and cash in on the marketing for it here. Mallya being smart may do just that; ergo.... sell lots and lots of Kingfisher .

Of course, if there is a small points difference in the constructors championship and say, Force India is in contention for third place or something like that, they would not give the seat to Karun for the India GP, and they have more to gain by winning third place.
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 13:16   #22
BHPian

I don't think Hispania is really a good measure of anyone's pace. The car is way too inconsistent to make any reasonable assumptions on who is faster or slower. At this point it comes down purely to money. Whether we like it or not, Hispania needs as much of it as possible and for whatever reasons (Karun says it is because the sponsors are torn between backing an Indian team with no Indian drivers & a Spanish team with an Indian driver) KC can't seem to bring enough of it on the table for them.

Unless that scenario changes, I don't think KC has any chance, save a major intervention by Bernie. Looking at the available seats, I don't think things are looking too great for KC at the moment. But it is possible that he'll get a one-off race with Hispania for the Indian GP.
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 15:36   #23
BHPian

I doubt sentiment will take over any team to put him in a one-off Indian GP just to please the gallaries and enhance PR. Sure money plays a huge role but IMO he has'nt really put in a good enough performance to raise the money or the eyebrows, so for the moment commentary seat is the only seat available for him. Disappointing.
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 12:27   #24

IMO HRT is not a long term player in F1 Circuits, Financials in F1 today makes its unfeasible to stay in races if there is no promising future HRT in that sense is going no where.
Chandok is a good driver, But saying that i feel Chandok lacks that spark that can get F1 bosses excited and gamble on him. Force India is doing fine. I think they will prefer them building on technical expetise than muddling with the drivers. then again if Suttil moves its a diffrent ball game.
Indianstorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 09:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

KC is a learning driver, F1 requires more than just driving fast. Its now more strategic than the chess; that to me is taking its edge off. More and more technical advances ruin the fun the car and driver has to provide. Thus new teams have seasoned drivers on the roster.

KC to me might be in for next season, albeit not the complete one. The only home advantage for a team running an Indian driver is not the knowledge of the circuit (its new for everyone) but the marketing and I do not think they would like to miss this opportunity.

I am sure in future we will have more drivers with more experience miles once the circuit is up and running. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Update :Chandhok is Team Lotus Reserve Driver

Just read this news in Autosport with KC joining as a reserve driver for team Lotus.

So hopefully if the Indian Grand Prix gets the nod it will be good to see NK and KC (If given the opportunity to drive for our Delhi GP) zooming in our Jaypee circuit.

autosport.com - F1 News: Chandhok is Team Lotus reserve driver
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote