Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 13:14   #76
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 580
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Watched every-bit of the race and though it was boring, it did make a wonderful finale to the season. There were two things I was worried about during the race:
a) that Lewis was gonna hunt down Vettel
b) that Petrov and Nico, might have reliability issues giving way for Alonso to finish 4th

I was happy when the order finished the way they did and what a pleasing sight to see Vettel take the championship. I am sure he will be much stronger next year. I did expect Alonso to cry and it was fitting that Petrov replied by almost touching Alonso's ferrari after the gesture. Though I hated Alonso, I was happy to see Ferrari win under him but what a sore-loser he is! Overtaking was difficult but not impossible, Kubica pulled a couple of moves on Kobayashi and Sutil.

Sebastian Vettel, You are the man of the season. Did anyone notice how tensed was RBR pitlane until Petrov finished ahead of Alonso?
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 13:48   #77
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

I missed seeing Alonso showing finger to Petrov live. Seriously, isn't he a bad loser? Did he forget 2007 Brazil race, where he said whoever wins the final race should be the champion?
I hope this guy doesn't win anything in future. As a Kimi fan, i am doubly happy that Ferrari got a big zero in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The other sad part is Karun Chandok having to sit out of most of the races this season, Man..............! Thats depressing. Hope he gets to race in an F1 car the next season.
Small consolation for him: He is classified higher than the other 3 HRT drivers and 2 Virgin drivers in the final WDC standings.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:11   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Great finish to as awesome season. Congratulations to Vettel...

Don't feel sorry for Alonso/Ferrari, they ran a very bad final race. Webber looked as if he had given up hope after Vettel qualified on pole.

Quote:
I missed seeing Alonso showing finger to Petrov live.
But did you notice Petrov swerving to the left and almost touching Alonso's car? He wasn't gonna let anyone spoil his party.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 15th November 2010 at 14:19.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:56   #79
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But did you notice Petrov swerving to the left and almost touching Alonso's car? He wasn't gonna let anyone spoil his party.
Yes, saw that in the video GTO posted. Petrov drove a great race yesterday, without any mistake and kept Alonso behind him for 40 laps.
With the drive yesterday, he has earned his place in the grid for next year.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:06   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 70
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

i kind of feel that webber was cheated on the championship front by the red bull.the red bull always favored vettel and treated webber as there 2nd driver , the whole year they were neck to neck and now suddenly in the last race he is half a second slower!!!!

i feel that vettel was given a superior car than webber and now i guess poor webber cant criticize the team cause if he does that he would be kicked out of the team and due to his age he wont be able to join the top teams again

remember alonso had a same problem with mclaren in 2007 when they were favouring hamilton nd he complained about the performance of car and criticize the team and then he shifted to renault luckly for him that he got a chance at Ferrari but sadly at the expense of kimi (my fav driver)
moose56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:40   #81
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
i kind of feel that webber was cheated on the championship front by the red bull.the red bull always favored vettel and treated webber as there 2nd driver , the whole year they were neck to neck and now suddenly in the last race he is half a second slower!!!!

i feel that vettel was given a superior car than webber and now i guess poor webber cant criticize the team cause if he does that he would be kicked out of the team and due to his age he wont be able to join the top teams again
Conspiracy theories are always nice to read but i guess webber was not upto the mark yesterday and probably will never be champion if he doesn't make the most of the situation, also remember that he made a error in Korea that actually cost him the world title
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:04   #82
BHPian
 
slicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 64
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I hope this guy doesn't win anything in future. As a Kimi fan, i am doubly happy that Ferrari got a big zero in the end.
+1 to that mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
but i guess webber was not upto the mark yesterday and probably will never be champion if he doesn't make the most of the situation,
Adding to that, its Vettle who rose to the occasion, and was absolutely untouchable on Sat and Sun. It was the best he could do and hope things would go his way and they did. What an awesome display.

Was nice to see him chatting with Schumi after qualifying on Sat, the "Baby Schumi" has come to the fore. He will be unstoppable now.
slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:22   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
i kind of feel that webber was cheated on the championship front by the red bull.the red bull always favored vettel and treated webber as there 2nd driver , the whole year they were neck to neck and now suddenly in the last race he is half a second slower!!!!

i feel that vettel was given a superior car than webber and now i guess poor webber cant criticize the team cause if he does that he would be kicked out of the team and due to his age he wont be able to join the top teams again
Going into the last race, Webber was in a much better position than Vettel to win the championship.

If Webber won the race, Alonso had to finish 2nd but if Vettel Won, Alonso would still be champion with a 4th place finish.

So i doubt Redbull would take such a huge risk.

Vettel's championship was due to a combination of his fantastic driving and the fact that Ferrari/Alonso messed up.

Reminds me of 2007, when Kimi took advantage of Alonso and Hamilton's mistake, to come from 10 points behind and win the championship.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:30   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,964
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Vettel as usual didn't have to overtake or defend his position.
As usual, consistent qualifying laps + a track that doesn't allow overtaking got him the win and championship.
Which means at this track, Vettel won the championship on Saturday.
And Alonso lost the championship at the first corner when he was being "safe" and let Button pass through.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:03   #85
BHPian
 
aman9393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 371
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Congrats to our youngest Weltmeister!!
Red Bull have won both the championships this year quite deservingly.
And did anyone notice that this was the first time that Vettel is on top of the championship table in this season?!!
And a very good drive by Kubica.
Except for the visuals, I find the Yas Marina circuit quite boring, very few overtaking opportunites!
aman9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:10   #86
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
i kind of feel that webber was cheated on the championship front by the red bull.the red bull always favored vettel and treated webber as there 2nd driver , the whole year they were neck to neck and now suddenly in the last race he is half a second slower!!!!

i feel that vettel was given a superior car than webber and now i guess poor webber cant criticize the team cause if he does that he would be kicked out of the team and due to his age he wont be able to join the top teams again

remember alonso had a same problem with mclaren in 2007 when they were favouring hamilton nd he complained about the performance of car and criticize the team and then he shifted to renault luckly for him that he got a chance at Ferrari but sadly at the expense of kimi (my fav driver)
I doubt that 10 pole positions are due to Webber gotten the inferior car. Also Mateschitz is a straight forward person and a very strong personality who is rather impartial and expects from his team fair play.

Also it would have been pretty dumb to give Webber the 'inferior' car. Vettel was unlikely to win the race and the title when he started fronm the pole position. The risk would have been to big and nothing being gained.

I could turn the question now round and ask you: "Did Webber stay behind Alonso to do his best that his team mate does not get the title?" The reality is that the situation has turned out to be favorably for Vettel in this race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Vettel as usual didn't have to overtake or defend his position.
As usual, consistent qualifying laps + a track that doesn't allow overtaking got him the win and championship.
Which means at this track, Vettel won the championship on Saturday.
And Alonso lost the championship at the first corner when he was being "safe" and let Button pass through.
Qualifying is a part of the race. Overtaking took place. It was just that hardly anyone had the guts to do it. Schumacher attempted and was thrown out of the race for it.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:33   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 698
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

There is no denying the fact that Vettel did a good job. He has the pace and he had a good car throughout the year. Kudos to him.

But over the years we need to see how he races in other conditions where he has to come from behind in a race, not alone from pole position. That is Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi kind of racing. I dont think he has done anything like that yet. If pole position alone can win races and the championship then we can watch only the qualifying and give up on the race.

Hamilton did a very good job with that car and he did make a good fight in the last race. All through the year he has been aggressive and extracting more from the car that was clearly inferior. And as for Ferrari the race year started from mid year when they were able to make some improvements. Ferrari think tank needs a big change.

Button though world champion of the previous year didn't shine as bright as Lewis all year. Last year he had a clear car advantage. This year on a par car he didn't deliver the results.

One observation is that in this forum until Saturday there were lot of cheer and support for Webber and Alonso. Once Vettel won clearly that has changed.

I think Red bull decided to take it easy on Webber once he put a poor show in qualification and used him as a dummy to toy with Ferrari. But that is strategy and it worked well for them. Congrats again RBR and Vettel.

Waiting for more exciting 2011!

Last edited by LandCruiser : 15th November 2010 at 17:35.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:54   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

As a supporter of Ferrari, this was a very disappointing race to me. I was so sure that Alonso would walk away with the title. He had the upper hand and made a tough decision to pit which cost him the crown. But I still say that the decision to pit Alonso immediately after Webber was a good one. But this 'pest' called Petrov ruined Alonso's chances. Kudos to Vettel, that cheeky bugger never was on top of the standings the entire season but on the day it mattered the most, he came on top. As for Ferrari's pit stratergy, they could not afford to lose sight of Webber and had to be in his shadow. Oh well, next year will be the era of the Prancing Horse's Return!!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:55   #89
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Isn't it ironic that the team which got Alonso his 2 world titles was responsible for his loss this weekend.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 18:16   #90
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
And Alonso lost the championship at the first corner when he was being "safe" and let Button pass through.
Not really. If he had managed to stay behind Button throughout the race, he would have become the champion. P4 was good enough for him. He lost because of the dumbest pit strategy ever executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
There is no denying the fact that Vettel did a good job. He has the pace and he had a good car throughout the year. Kudos to him.

But over the years we need to see how he races in other conditions where he has to come from behind in a race, not alone from pole position. That is Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi kind of racing. I dont think he has done anything like that yet. If pole position alone can win races and the championship then we can watch only the qualifying and give up on the race.

Hamilton did a very good job with that car and he did make a good fight in the last race. All through the year he has been aggressive and extracting more from the car that was clearly inferior. And as for Ferrari the race year started from mid year when they were able to make some improvements. Ferrari think tank needs a big change.

Button though world champion of the previous year didn't shine as bright as Lewis all year. Last year he had a clear car advantage. This year on a par car he didn't deliver the results.

One observation is that in this forum until Saturday there were lot of cheer and support for Webber and Alonso. Once Vettel won clearly that has changed.
I think next year you will see a much improved Vettel.

I was actually rooting for Webber. But he just crumbled. He had given up even before the qualifying. Statements like "if i don't win, it's not the end of the world" were clear signals that he isn't the one.

Quote:
I think Red bull decided to take it easy on Webber once he put a poor show in qualification and used him as a dummy to toy with Ferrari. But that is strategy and it worked well for them. Congrats again RBR and Vettel.

Waiting for more exciting 2011!
Webber pitted because of his potential tyre failure. His right rear tyre had kissed one of the walls. Unfortunately Ferrari team read too much in it and decided to pit both their drivers immediately. Ferrari should have just ignored that and concentrated on their own race, after seeing that Webber had come out behind Rosberg and Petrov who had already made their stops. So i still don't understand why they made such a blunder.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Formula 1 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina Circuit jfxavier Int'l Motorsport 11 30th November 2015 17:34
2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina Circuit - Season Finale deetjohn Int'l Motorsport 38 26th November 2014 11:32
2013 - Abu Dhabi F1 @ Yas Marina Circuit PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 22 4th November 2013 19:43
2012 F1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand prix - Yas Marina Circuit PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 143 14th November 2012 09:01
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2011...championship decided, boon or bane? MaserQ Int'l Motorsport 10 14th November 2011 15:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks