Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2011, 22:45   #1
BHPian

Default Chennai Off-Road Enthusiast Saying Hello

Hello fellow BHPians! Just wanted to say first that there is so much valuable and helpful information here that all I have done this entire weekend is look over the entire 4x4 Off Roading forum. Well at least as much as I could.

The information in the 4x4 section is in fact what ended up landing me in this Automotive Holy Land. As much as I love cars and racing (On TV, go karts, Racing Simulators on the PC), my last 3 cars have all been Ford Endeavours! The reason partly being because I'm 6 foot 8 inches tall and cannot fit comfortably in anything else! I have done some occasional adventurous off roading (mostly on sand near the beach) in all my Endeavours and have been getting more and more interested in testing the car's capabilities off road as of late. I was wondering if there was a group that takes their SUVs off roading on the weekends in Chennai and my search brought me to a thread in these forums. Great find.

So far I have only found threads of people that are taking Jeeps into the rough stuff and over some obstacles that my car will definitely not be able to handle. The ultra long wheel base certainly does not help its off roading capability. I own the most recent model 3.0 4x4 Endeavour and was hoping to put it through its paces off the road on some flatter terrain. Was hoping that there would already be a group of guys doing some milder off roading in their SUVs but if not then i'd definitely be interested in helping start one up. I can see some good Endeavour vs Fortuner battles cropping up in those outings

Anyway, apart from all that, my name is Vishnu, I just graduated from University in the U.S and am now working full time in Chennai at TVS Logistics. So far I am very pleased with what I see in this forum and will try to contribute in any way that I can.

Looking forward to hear from fellow off road enthusiasts!
Endeavour333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 18:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Chennai Off-Road Enthusiast Saying Hello

Three Endeavours!! Ford ought to get you onboard as a brand mascot . Just kidding, I like how Ford has continually improved the Endeavour and in particular, the engine options. That 3.0 L's torque pulls like a train. I'm not a fan of the auto box though.

Welcome aboard and yes, there certainly are mild off-roading sessions that many an SUV owner indulge in. Search!
Old 19th July 2011, 10:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Three Endeavours!! Ford ought to get you onboard as a brand mascot . Just kidding, I like how Ford has continually improved the Endeavour and in particular, the engine options. That 3.0 L's torque pulls like a train. I'm not a fan of the auto box though.

Welcome aboard and yes, there certainly are mild off-roading sessions that many an SUV owner indulge in. Search!
Thank you for the Welcome. I have posted in the Chennai 4x4 offroad thread inquiring about their off road trips.

The previous Endeavour I owned for about 3 years was also 4x4 and had stick shift. The coolest thing about that car was that it had previously belonged to a Ford Executive that was here from the US and he had souped up the car! I discovered this only after timing some 0 - 100 Runs, Checking Top speed, and noticing that these number were way off the manufacturer claims! The Manufacturer claims said the car could do 0-100 in some 14 seconds but my car managed it in a mere 11.0! Shocking. Then came the top speed tests. I got a speedo reading of 180 as Max speed on the Chennai - BLR highway while Manufacturer claims said 147! LOL. Loved that car. Got too old after a while though and dad wanted to sell it.

Complaints after total 4 years of the car being on the Road:
- Turbo konked out once - I suspect it was due to the Turbo pressure being upped
- Rear Leaf spring got more and more stiff through the years (My new 4x4 AT Endeavour is much much softer now in comaprison!)
- Leather on top of the gear lever tore
- Clutch was wearing out quite badly by the end - I suspect that is due to some aggressive driving on my part
- No LSD was irritating (inside wheel kept spinning when I tried to floor the throttle out of a corner)

Other than that the car ran great!

My friend that has been in both my old Endeavour and the new one says that the old one definitely felt more powerful.
The torque was certainly more peaky in the old one(souped up) which could have given him the impression but i still agree with him. The Auto box also might make the new one feel slower.
Old 31st July 2011, 01:47   #4

Question Re: Chennai Off-Road Enthusiast Saying Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Thank you for the Welcome. I have posted in the Chennai 4x4 offroad thread inquiring about their off road trips.

The previous Endeavour I owned for about 3 years was also 4x4 and had stick shift. The coolest thing about that car was that it had previously belonged to a Ford Executive that was here from the US and he had souped up the car! I discovered this only after timing some 0 - 100 Runs, Checking Top speed, and noticing that these number were way off the manufacturer claims! The Manufacturer claims said the car could do 0-100 in some 14 seconds but my car managed it in a mere 11.0! Shocking. Then came the top speed tests. I got a speedo reading of 180 as Max speed on the Chennai - BLR highway while Manufacturer claims said 147! LOL. Loved that car. Got too old after a while though and dad wanted to sell it.

Complaints after total 4 years of the car being on the Road:
- Turbo konked out once - I suspect it was due to the Turbo pressure being upped
- Rear Leaf spring got more and more stiff through the years (My new 4x4 AT Endeavour is much much softer now in comaprison!)
- Leather on top of the gear lever tore
- Clutch was wearing out quite badly by the end - I suspect that is due to some aggressive driving on my part
- No LSD was irritating (inside wheel kept spinning when I tried to floor the throttle out of a corner)

Other than that the car ran great!

My friend that has been in both my old Endeavour and the new one says that the old one definitely felt more powerful.
The torque was certainly more peaky in the old one(souped up) which could have given him the impression but i still agree with him. The Auto box also might make the new one feel slower.
Hi Vishnu, can we know what mods were done on the car? It would be of great use because my endeavour seems terribly under-powered, party because I also drive a Civic, and party because its very old.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCK View Post
Hi Vishnu, can we know what mods were done on the car? It would be of great use because my endeavour seems terribly under-powered, party because I also drive a Civic, and party because its very old.
Hi Sonny, I honestly have no idea what mods were on that car as I my dad bought it for me second hand from a Ford Executive. I didnt even know about the modifications until I looked up manufacturer claims later. The car would cruise at 160 on the highway comfortably. Was shocked to see manufacturer claims put top speed at 147 so asked my dad where he got this car from. Then came the part about the Ford Exec.

It certainly had a bigger turbo / higher turbo pressure because each time I stepped on the accelerator and released it there was a very audible whoosh sound from the turbo - Much louder that my current Endeavour. The car had a huge kick when the turbo kicked in too. Was quite nasty when flooring it in second gear. What a fun car that was!
Old 31st July 2011, 09:01   #6
BHPian

Sonny since you're in Chennai you should definitely check out IgNite garage on ECR(1.5 KMs past VGP on the opposite side of the road). They are the authorized dealers for K&N Performance air filters and Methods Automotive (Tuning company - Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories). Will definitely look forward to seeing you sometime. Do you do the OTRs at all? Im going to get started with that stuff. Hence the off road tires I mentioned in the other thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...f-roading.html (Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!)

The guy that owns Ignite Garage is Raghav - Real Nice guy that knows a lot about modding cars. His number is 98419 55158. Good Luck!
Old 31st July 2011, 23:15   #7

Quote:
Hi Sonny, I honestly have no idea what mods were on that car as I my dad bought it for me second hand from a Ford Executive. I didnt even know about the modifications until I looked up manufacturer claims later. The car would cruise at 160 on the highway comfortably. Was shocked to see manufacturer claims put top speed at 147 so asked my dad where he got this car from. Then came the part about the Ford Exec.

It certainly had a bigger turbo / higher turbo pressure because each time I stepped on the accelerator and released it there was a very audible whoosh sound from the turbo - Much louder that my current Endeavour. The car had a huge kick when the turbo kicked in too. Was quite nasty when flooring it in second gear. What a fun car that was!
Oh, life would be so much better with a bigger turbo i guess! Maybe an off the shelf garret?
Old 31st July 2011, 23:19   #8

Quote:
Sonny since you're in Chennai you should definitely check out IgNite garage on ECR(1.5 KMs past VGP on the opposite side of the road). They are the authorized dealers for K&N Performance air filters and Methods Automotive (Tuning company - Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories). Will definitely look forward to seeing you sometime. Do you do the OTRs at all? Im going to get started with that stuff. Hence the off road tires I mentioned in the other thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...f-roading.html (Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!)

The guy that owns Ignite Garage is Raghav - Real Nice guy that knows a lot about modding cars. His number is 98419 55158. Good Luck!
Oh yea I've met with Raghav a couple of times, though I haven't really done anything with him. As for Methods, I know them well too, because I get my supplies of Rims and also the Remus End-can for my Civic from him.

Actually we just hit the beaches, and actually we'll be starting this week, because my friend is getting back from the UK, so his Pajero will also become available! Would you be interested?
Old 1st August 2011, 11:37   #9
BHPian

Welcome Endeavour. You got it right and you call this place the holy land of automobile which is very apt. I welcome you to this wonderful forum filled with knowledge of automobile. You will enjoy every bit of it.

Once again welcome. Happy miles and off course happy off roading to you as well.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, life would be so much better with a bigger turbo i guess! Maybe an off the shelf garret?
No idea. Never investigated how it made its power.

Quote:
Oh yea I've met with Raghav a couple of times, though I haven't really done anything with him. As for Methods, I know them well too, because I get my supplies of Rims and also the Remus End-can for my Civic from him.

Actually we just hit the beaches, and actually we'll be starting this week, because my friend is getting back from the UK, so his Pajero will also become available! Would you be interested?
I would definitely be interested! However, I leave for Pune for work this evening and am back late on Saturday night. So depends on when you will be going. My K&N Air filter, increased turbo pressure, and oil change will be done by then too so you can check it out if you want. Assuming Ignite is open on Sunday for me to pick my car up that is. Dropping it off at the garage today. Raghav said he'll look into some All terrain tires for me and will tell me what size to get once he gets a closer look at my car over the next few days. Will be interesting to compare my car against the Pajero. Looking forward to it! Let me know... My email is v.rajam@hotmail.com.

Hopefully I don't get myself stuck in the sand. Bring a tow rope of you have one. Just in case because I wont have my all terrain tires yet.

-Vishnu
Old 10th August 2011, 00:15   #11

Quote:
No idea. Never investigated how it made its power.

I would definitely be interested! However, I leave for Pune for work this evening and am back late on Saturday night. So depends on when you will be going. My K&N Air filter, increased turbo pressure, and oil change will be done by then too so you can check it out if you want. Assuming Ignite is open on Sunday for me to pick my car up that is. Dropping it off at the garage today. Raghav said he'll look into some All terrain tires for me and will tell me what size to get once he gets a closer look at my car over the next few days. Will be interesting to compare my car against the Pajero. Looking forward to it! Let me know... My email is v.rajam@hotmail.com.

Hopefully I don't get myself stuck in the sand. Bring a tow rope of you have one. Just in case because I wont have my all terrain tires yet.

-Vishnu
Hope your back cause we might hit the beaches this Saturday. And hope your ride is also back from service. As for the tow cables, don't worry, I never leave without them
Old 10th August 2011, 13:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hope your back cause we might hit the beaches this Saturday. And hope your ride is also back from service. As for the tow cables, don't worry, I never leave without them
Sonny, I might have missed going off roading with you this weekend but I went on a beach off roading trip myself. There's this great place off ECR that I've been going to that even has an entry point to the beach. It's a large area too, about 400 meters to the beach and the whole strip is atleast a kilometer wide. I've been to this spot twice before but have never taken my car fully on the beach before in fear that it would get stuck with my fully inflated highway tires and all.

I decided to go for it yesterday as there were plenty of construction workers nearby to help me out in case I did get stuck. Took a right at the entry point yesterday, drove about 200 meters and turned around when I got to what looked like the property of a beach resort. Dont know which one. The sand felt pretty good yesterday too. I was pleasantly surprised with my car

Let me know when you go next.
Closed Thread