Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 1st October 2011, 14:15   #1

Default Greetings!

Hi All -

It's nice to join fellow enthusiasts here. I had previously thought of myself as somewhat educated about cars, but some time on this site has, sadly, made it clear that I really am a newbie - the knowledge and insight I have chanced upon here has been illuminating! But the interest is real and perhaps in time the passion will grow.

A bit about myself - I'm in Delhi, back since 2007 after many many years in the UK, Far East and Europe. Car wise, my earliest recollections are of a Padmini and the Ambassador (staff car, as it was referred to somewhat quaintly). The first car I owned was a Renault 9 - hence the handle (bought for the princely sun of GBP 300 I think, when I was a student in England!, and which cost a further 100 quid to pass the MOT/get roadworthy). Since those days I've owned, long used or leased a Saab 90 in blue (a 2+2), Porsche 924 in Guards Red (also 2+2, which was an early front engined P-car, circa 1980-81), Daewoo Cielo in Sherwood Green (whenever I visited Delhi), Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TdI (or maybe a 2.4TdI?) and since my return to Delhi, the family Opel Vectra 2.2 (still my daily use car, although it's starting to show it's age).

Short period notable vehicles have included an MB CLS (easy/boring), A6 (easy/boring corporate type), 911 of the 1980s (beautiful!, and in a beautiful blue you mightn't think would show off the car), an RS4 Avant of the early 2000s I think (nuts!), a Ford Sierra Cosworth (which I nearly crashed on the track ), a Caterham (look it up), Santro (perfect, when I first returned to Delhi and was scared to drive!).

You can possibly detect a leaning towards the Europeans in my choices. That remains a preference, and I'm leaning, nay swerving, towards buying the Skoda Superb as my daily drive, perhaps in MT due to the now pronounced hesitance to take my chances with the gremlins in the mechatronic (or is that megaphon?! - See 'the Yeti' for a good read on Akbar's reportage) thingamijig.

And that's the help I've had with this site. Opinionated, exhaustive and non-commercial set of posts that should help me choose a car using good quality inputs, fulfilling a key role in the absence of rock solid customer protection programs by manufacturers. Caveat emptor everywhere, but perhaps more so in India. Thanks to all the knowledgeable folk who share their time and insight so readily!

Anyway, I ramble. It's good to be here, and I hope to, in time, add to the value of posts.

Cheers!
Rohit
Old 1st October 2011, 15:39   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Greetings!

Welcome aboard sir. I see that you have travelled across the world a lot and owned a variety of vehicles. Would be really nice for youngsters like me to hear and know more from experienced people like you. Do collate your experiences and kindly share for the better future drive safe.
Closed Thread