Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2012, 00:11   #1

Talking Greetings from a traveler

Hello everyone,
Happy to be here - my wife and I have just started traveling extensively again in India (we were in the US for ~7-8 years until early 2009). We just completed a wonderful, leisurely drive a couple of months back from Delhi to Trivandrum with PLENTY of stops along the way and are now planning our way back to Delhi, giving ourselves ~14 days of actual driving time, spread over 4 weeks for the entire trip (so on average 2 nights for every stop). (I realize a lot of you will probably find it crazy slow to take this long to cover the distance, but it's a good time for us to do this, so we're doing it, because we can!)

On our way here, we did Delhi - Alwar - Pushkar - Chittorgarh - Udaipur - Nadiad - Vapi - Mumbai - Pune - Belgaum - Canacona - Mangalore - Kappad - Fort Kochi - Trivandrum. Next week, we start making our way back to Delhi (slowly but surely, we'll get there).

To say we love traveling would be an understatement - we've both traveled extensively in India with family and as architecture students. And during our time in the US, amongst other travels, we visited over 3 dozen national parks all over the country, and traveled almost 50,000 miles in our Honda Civic (2004 Value Package that gave us ~38 mpg - ~16 kmpl) in ~4.5 years, almost all of which was for cross-country road trips as neither of us had any more than a 20-minute walk for a daily commute at any point (a conscious decision to cut the commute out of our lives). Going by my TripAdvisor Travel Map, I've been to over 300 cities in 10 countries, traveled more than 300,000 miles and covered 13% of the world so far. The list of World Heritage sites is currently on the top of my to-do list for travel.

We currently own a 2010 i10 Asta AT (smallest automatic car available in India at the time that had airbags and ABS).

When we're not traveling, I don the hat of a building energy efficiency and sustainability professional - in some ways a recovering architect and a reluctant engineer.

We're currently reluctant 'Dilliwaalaas' (living in South Delhi since Jan 2010) and recovering 'Mumbaikars' (born and brought up in Mumbai, lived there until we went to the US in 2001/02) - we relocated to India/Mumbai in early 2009 and we're loving being back here, by far!

I've gleaned some very useful information on Team BHP forums and I figured I can register to start asking some specific questions and hopefully even contribute something meaningful from my experiences as we go along. Until I started reading the other intro posts, I hadn't realized it was so difficult to get accepted as a member! (I got in at my first attempt so a big thank you to the moderator(s) concerned!)

Look forward to our interactions!

Best,
- Aalok.
Old 8th March 2012, 00:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Greetings from a traveler

Welcome on board Team-BHP, aalok.

So what are the planned stopovers on the way back from Trivandrum?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 01:06   #3

Default Re: Greetings from a traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Welcome on board Team-BHP, aalok.
So what are the planned stopovers on the way back from Trivandrum?
Thanks, SS-Traveller!
I've just submitted another reply to an existing post on current road conditions in Kerala, that's awaiting moderator approval, about this. But current plans are:
  • Kanyakumari (as we haven't been there) (stop by at Padmanabhapuram Palace)
  • Kollam (stop by at Varkala)
  • Thekkady
  • Munnar
  • Maybe Thrissur
  • Wayanad
  • Tumkur (just north of Bangalore)
  • Hubli
  • Pune
  • Mumbai
Rest of it is undecided - will figure it out once we get to Mumbai
aalokd is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread