Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2012, 12:19   #1

Default ... and I'm revvin'!!

Hello,

Its been over three months since I received a confirmation of registration at this forum. I've written countless introductions, but never thought any of them was 'good' enough to post. So I continued to silently follow the forum while I kept putting off the day I would take the plunge. So here I am today. What follows is a short history of nearly everything... about cars in my life.

I'm an Indian, which is the only way I can describe myself successfully, considering how we have ancestors and relatives from different parts of the county. My ancestors and relatives are mostly from the northern regions. I work as a project manager for a telecom software company. BSc(H) Maths and MCA seem like a lifetime ago...

I have really, really basic knowledge of cars. In fact, to tell you the truth, I've never really liked to drive... till yesterday. So here's how it happened.

I tried to learn how to drive when I turned 18, and when the lessons from the driving school were over, my father took me out on the road. I almost ran into a traffic policeman! Needless to say, my father did not try again. Then, when I got married, I felt I would be able to silently get through my life with the dependable driver I got free with a husband. But life had different plans for me. Our work places are now in complete opposite ends of our city, so I needed to get mobile, and soon. My husband was a little more successful in teaching me to drive, and we bought my first car - nice blue Maruti 800. After a year or two, I felt that I had grown enough as a driver to move to a Chevy Spark, which I have been driving for the past five years. Though nice enough, I viewed both cars as means to take me to work and back. And work is only 10 km away. But yesterday, everything changed...

So let me come to that, but first... while I was driving the Maruti 800, my husband was in his maruti esteem. And his counterpart for my Spark was a swanky red honda city... which I inherited yesterday (He moved to a Vento TDi for pure fuel economy reasons). Today, I am in awe of the beast... it is amazing. Its like a whole new world. I took the long route to work, enjoyed the ICE, loved the seat height adjustment (I dont feel vertically challenged any more), and the steering wheel is crazy... I could move it with my pinky finger if I wanted!!!

So yesterday I broke out the 'Live to Drive' sticker... and I feel like a 'real' member of the forum!!!

Keep revvin'
Anjali

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2012 at 01:58. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
anjali_riat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:07   #2
BHPian

Default Re: ... and I'm revvin'!!

Congrats on "Taking the Plunge"!! And, that was a short and crispy intro Anjali!! Welcome aboard and Enjoy your stay here! I'm sure you'll find some crazy petrol heads here!

Let me tell you, you'll never realize when this forum and its addiction get into your nerves!! This is so addictive!

Best,
r-six

Last edited by R-Six : 12th June 2012 at 14:07. Reason: corrected the spelling!
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:08   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Anjali !!

Its very common for every person to start the driving journey the bumpy way. I am too ashamed to share mine

Anyway, nice to hear that you now actually enjoy driving, its a real stressbuster. Music to your choice, an empty road and a ride that talks to you - all that turns your mood pleasant. City is a real smoothie and you have defined its nature well.

Welcome again and have a nice time.

Cheers!
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 14:10   #4
BANNED

congrats and welcome aboard
Being a team bhpian will teach you to become a expert in driving and will act as your third mentor in revvin'
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 15:13   #5
BHPian

Welcome Anjali.

Good to see more womenfolk on the forum. Most of learn driving in our own different ways. Nicely narrated experience from you.

I have not been active over the last 2 months on account of work commitments. But planning to post more often in the coming weeks.
Sugeeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 16:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard Anjali! Your story rings a bell. I taught (my word, hers is probably "harangued" ) my better half to drive and she "inherited" my Swift when I graduated to a Vento last year. Still doesn't drive as much as I'd like her to but since I love riving that hasn't proved to be a problem yet!

Looking forward to your contribution on our forums. Have a blast!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 20:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice intro post !!! It was worth the time you spent on various draft versions.

And having myself moved from a couple of M800s to the Baleno, it was indeed a big change and can identify with how you felt on moving to the City. And still loving every minute of it, though it is 7 years since I got the Baleno home.

I assume your City is the latest edition (120bhp), because I doubt the 2nd version (76bhp) came in the swanky red color.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 12:39   #8

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks especially for including me in this forum! I had fallen off the earth after my first post, but I'm back now, and hope to be a more active contributer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

And having myself moved from a couple of M800s to the Baleno, it was indeed a big change and can identify with how you felt on moving to the City. And still loving every minute of it, though it is 7 years since I got the Baleno home.

I assume your City is the latest edition (120bhp), because I doubt the 2nd version (76bhp) came in the swanky red color.
Yes, I did feel a huge change. Especially if you add to it that my spark didn't have music, cause the stereo was leaking charge and was disconnected!! You are right about my City - 2010 model - beautiful red color. We are especially attached to it, because it may well have saved our lives. A couple of months after we bought it, some guy who chose to drive under the influence banged into us on the Suraj Kund road from Faridabad. The whole right side was wasted, and we hardly felt it in the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Welcome aboard Anjali! Your story rings a bell. I taught (my word, hers is probably "harangued" ) my better half to drive and she "inherited" my Swift when I graduated to a Vento last year. Still doesn't drive as much as I'd like her to but since I love riving that hasn't proved to be a problem yet!
Looking forward to your contribution on our forums. Have a blast!
I would probably say I was "harangued" into driving too and I would never have learned if it wasn't for utter necessity!! And as a rule I dont drive on the weekends... since my husband just loves to drive! But I do appreciate my time on the road more. And the purring from my cars engine still amazes me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Welcome Anjali.

Good to see more womenfolk on the forum. Most of learn driving in our own different ways. Nicely narrated experience from you.

I have not been active over the last 2 months on account of work commitments. But planning to post more often in the coming weeks.
Thanks for your comment! Probably one of the reasons I took my time in introducing myself was the fact that I couldn't really find many women folk. And considering that I am probably not a 'technical master' of cars, I had started to feel that I would end up being more of a post 'spy' rather than a contributer!!

Anyways, I'm off to the thread on the love of coffee!!!
See you around -

Anjali
anjali_riat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 23:22   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjali_riat View Post
Hello,

nice blue Maruti 800.
Welcome to tbhp Anjali, you're off to a great start !

Was reminded of a friend of mine who narrated his first meeting with his girlfriend who was to later become his fiance.

He, being a car buff, went to great length to describe his car - the engine, the power, the torque, the top speed, the roll on figures, the fuel efficiency, comparison with other similar cars, the modifications he had done to the engine, suspension, exhaust, etc.

After about 15 minutes of thus describing his car he was eager to know about her car and asked, “So, what car do you drive? ”

She replied “A blue one”.

He has the impression that amongst the many factors that could have helped him win her heart, the major one may not have been his love of cars.
Old 12th July 2012, 23:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP Anjali, have a pleasant stay here.

Waiting for your Honda City/VW Vento's ownership reports.

Keep Revvin'

PS - Do ask your husband also to register here .

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th July 2012 at 23:32.
Closed Thread