Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 14th July 2012, 18:58   #1
BHPian

Default Hello Awesome Drivers

Hello Gentlemen and ladies.
I am honored to be a Team BHPian. I have been reading this forum for quiet a while but finally decided to become a member. I am very glad to have had my membership been approved. I am insanely passionate about aviation and automobile(s). I fly planes for a living and I am very happy doing it. I am happy that my job is helping me to own bigger and better machines on the road as well. I currently own an Zen Estilo and Toyota Corolla. I posses driving licenses issued in California, Dubai & Chennai. Intending to discuss a wide variety of topics on this forum and contribute when and where it my contribution is worth reading. Lastly I 'd just like to say, I am alive because I wore and wear a Seat Belt always.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hello Awesome Drivers

Interesting to have a Pilot here or as you call yourself, a BoeingDriver!! Will be nice to know about your experiences. We had some good 'ship' experiences thanks to a fantastic writer called Deky.

Now it is time for you to take us on board for some thrilling experiences on air

Welcome and have enjoy the ride!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

HI Boeing Driver - Nice to see yo on the Forum. I too know how to fly a plane and have flown one, but do not have a license. I wanted to apply for one but cannot afford it .

Lets meet up sometime when you are in Chennai. Its really nice to have a Pilot in TBHP. If you would like to share - which airlines are you associated with and what is your real name (If you are comfortable sharing).

This thread should keeep you in sync with the Forum Rules.

Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
HI Boeing Driver - Nice to see yo on the Forum. I too know how to fly a plane and have flown one, but do not have a license. I wanted to apply for one but cannot afford it .

Lets meet up sometime when you are in Chennai. Its really nice to have a Pilot in TBHP. If you would like to share - which airlines are you associated with and what is your real name (If you are comfortable sharing).

This thread should keeep you in sync with the Forum Rules.

Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements
If you are willing to invest 5 lacs for 100 hours of flying at Jakkur Flying Club in BLR you can earn yourself a PPL. Rs 5000 per hour is the cost including instruction and fuel ad other fees etc.
I have recently caught the flying bug but cannot put such investment down right now for something I may or may not use in a hurry.
I have logged around 2 hours so far on Flight experiences, in dual control aircraft in the UK and in Australia where you go up with a trained pilot and he teaches you the ropes and you are allowed to fly the plane for a while.
Lovely feeling to be like a bird!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:02   #5
BHPian

Talking Re: Hello Awesome Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you are willing to invest 5 lacs for 100 hours of flying at Jakkur Flying Club in BLR you can earn yourself a PPL. Rs 5000 per hour is the cost including instruction and fuel ad other fees etc.
I have recently caught the flying bug but cannot put such investment down right now for something I may or may not use in a hurry.
I have logged around 2 hours so far on Flight experiences, in dual control aircraft in the UK and in Australia where you go up with a trained pilot and he teaches you the ropes and you are allowed to fly the plane for a while.
Lovely feeling to be like a bird!

Interesting facts Shankar sir. But I wonder what could be / if at all there could be any ROI (Return on Investment) for an investment of 5Lacs and earn a PPL! Because for a normal individual being put up in some other profession, how much good does it make for such a cost / is this only a "Pride" builder??

I personally felt - just trying it out like how you have done at UK / Ozzieland should quench a "flying-thirst" Much cost-effective option isn't it??

@Boeing Driver, nice to see a "Big" driver now in TeamBHP. Enjoy your flight here in this forum too!

Last edited by Mister_M : 23rd July 2012 at 19:27.
Mister_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hello Awesome Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Hello Gentlemen and ladies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Shankar - I think you know everything. Kudos. . I see your posts on all topics and threads. You are a versatile person. I think we must catch up sometime when I am in Bangalore. I really did not know you too were an "airborn" person. Great to know this.

I think there is a "license" that we get for 30 hrs of flying. Is there something like that? I think we cannot take commercial passengers, but can self-fly.

Thoughts ?
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lets not hijack Boeing Driver's thread! I have absolutely no manners at all. I am sorry. boeing driver Welcome aboard!

Just a quick answer to Bharath and MisterM:

. I like many things. Dont know all that much about most things. Am a bit of a jack of all trades I guess.
. Reg flying, yes it is more out of an interest to perhaps one day rent an aircraft and buzz around.
But you are right, it is better to do an 'experience flight' every now and then if one is not totally serious about flying for pleasure, leisure or for work.
We arent as developed as some societies where flying is considered just another means of transport to cover huge distances - like Australia or America or NZ or RSA for example.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd July 2012 at 19:52.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 00:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Now it is time for you to take us on board for some thrilling experiences on air
Thank you so much bud appreciate it. Vast majority of my Airline Flying experience has been incident free as airline generally operate with high level of safety factor involved but as a former flight instructor who used to teach flying on small planes to cadets I ve had a quiet a few interesting incidents which I ll shortly share.

Quote:
Absolutely bud. I ll pm you the details and we shall catch up the next time in chennai.

Quote:
@Boeing Driver, nice to see a "Big" driver now in TeamBHP. Enjoy your flight here in this forum too!
Thanks mate. Appreciate it.

Quote:
I think there is a "license" that we get for 30 hrs of flying. Is there something like that? I think we cannot take commercial passengers, but can self-fly.
Just to explain on an outline basis. Different types of pilot licenses are:-
1. Private Pilot License (PPL) :- Once you obtain about 40-60 hours and demonstrate flying proficiency to pass a written / flight test. You will be given this license. You cannot operate for revenue or in bad weather conditions or at night. You should also pass a Class 2 medical exam to posses this license. Holding a PPL in India is very restrictive unlike the western countries.

2. Instrument Rating :- You must be trained by an Instrument Rating Instructor to fly specific procedures and you will be taught on how to fly in bad weather conditions and coping up with it apart from flying instrument approach procedures and holding etc.

3. Commercial Pilot License (CPL) :- You need abour 250 hours of flight training apart from instrument rating. You should have passed a written exam in Air Navigation, Aviation Meteorology and Air Regulations. You must also pass an Radio Telephony Exam. You must hold a CLass 1 medical exam conducted by Air Force Station in Delhi or Bangalore. This license lets you be a pilot on aircraft less than 5700 kgs and copilot on other aircraft.

4. Airline Transport Pilot License. You need about 1500 hours of flight experience. You must pass comprehensive exams on Air Navigation, Radio Aids, Meteorology and also a viva examination. This is a very tough examination with pass percentage less than 5%. This will let you be the Pilot in Command of aircraft with Max take off weight of 5700 kgs.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 23:03. Reason: Corrected Typo - thought <> taught, thanks
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 20:30   #9
BHPian

Amazing information ! Are cameras allowed in the cockpit? can you upload some pics if possible ! I am dying to see what its like. Apart from being a passenger, never had any as such flying experience.
Closed Thread