Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2012, 17:52   #1

Default Pleased to find machine lovers

Pleased by Team BHP administration for making my presence felt.

I have seen 24 winters, and have a few years of experience working with Maintenance Department at an Automotive Component Major. I can run Manual Lathe, Vertical Drill, Manual/Automatic Surface Grinder, Band saw, et cetera. I am also good at polishing die punches and inserts. At times, I've done Preventive Maintenance on FB Presses(Feintool) and tooling, Robotic Welders(Fanuc) and tooling, so on and so forth. Although most of it is history.

As of now, I'm on the verge of setting up a furniture design and processing workshop.

My Fossil fuelled vehicles in chronological order:
Ambassador-1.5d
Swift-vxi
Baleno(aka esteem)
RAV 4
Manza- quadrajet abs

Cars I would buy given I had the dosh:
Mini Clubman or smart diesel
Prius or insight
G-series or Defender

Car I admire for:
Agility: ssc aero
Luxury: lincoln mks
Off Roading Capability: H1 hummer

I am a old rock music lover and I have an ovation applause(acoustic/electric) guitar and a psr-640 keyboard which I casually play for recreation (never performed).
Music in my car's USB drive isn't complete without:
Pink Floyd: final cut, dark side of the moon, the wall
The Doors: strange days, morrison hotel, la woman
Metallica: black, master of puppets, st anger, garage in
Iron Maiden: fear of the dark, number of the beast
Nirvana: nevermind, in utero
Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, The Beatles (specially George Harrison), Bad Company, The Who, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Dire Straits.

It feels nice to be in the community.

Purple Haze Manza clocks 3000kms without a burp, would be back soon with initial ownership experience.

Yours faithfully
Attached Thumbnails
Pleased to find machine lovers-img2012072800455.jpg  

Old 30th July 2012, 19:30   #2
Zed
BHPian

Default Re: Pleased to find machine lovers

Welcome to the forum! Your post reaffirms that great music, like great cars, stands the test of time. I can speak from personal experience that hands-on skills such as those you've acquired will serve as a competitive advantage in the landscape of your career. An enabler that will give you a different perspective on business & processes. I wish you luck on your new business endeavor.
Old 30th July 2012, 23:35   #3

I am grateful for the wishes. I hope to be at autobahn someday.

A couple more snap shots of my Purple Haze Manza.
Attached Thumbnails
Pleased to find machine lovers-img2012062700430.jpg  

Pleased to find machine lovers-img2012061300418.jpg  

Old 31st July 2012, 14:45   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard, Cawnpore!

I love the Manza and strongly considered it for the role of a family workhorse. But our poor Indigo ('05 TDI) experience made a Manza entry impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawnpore ghost View Post
I'm on the verge of setting up a furniture design and processing workshop.
Wish you good luck.

Quote:
Mini Clubman or smart diesel
Why Clubman? If it's Mini, it's got to be the hatchback. The driving pleasure is easily equal to some 500 BHP cars I know.

Quote:
Metallica: black, master of puppets, st anger, garage in
Quote:
Nirvana: nevermind, in utero
Hey, how come no G N' R?

Hope to see you active in our Technical section.
Old 1st August 2012, 00:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why Clubman? If it's Mini, it's got to be the hatchback. The driving pleasure is easily equal to some 500 BHP cars I know.
Reasons are exclusive to me. I cannot contradict the performance of the hatch over station wagon, but, all the cooper hatches I've seen have been driven by young, spirited ladies in classy outfits. Only on a very rare occassion have I been able to spot, an odd male driver.
Plus the added practicality as with the Smart Forfour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey, how come no G N' R?
All apologies for omitting G N' R and demigod Led Zeppelin.

PS: Your username suggests you too are a goat fan. I have a soft corner for them since they are the overachiever underdog when compared resource happy sister chevrolet.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:34   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawnpore ghost View Post
PS: Your username suggests you too are a goat fan. I have a soft corner for them since they are the overachiever underdog when compared resource happy sister chevrolet.
Naah, not goat (though I like some of them Pontiacs too). The reason behind my username is this incredibly special car:

Name:  1984_ferrari_288_gto_03_m.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.3 KB
Picture Source
Old 1st August 2012, 10:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Very happy to see a Mech Engineer with hands on experience at the shop floor. Welcome to Team-bhp and as GTO said, hope to see you in the technical section also.

Now a question - since there are nowhere else in this portal, that i can ask this - you say you have used band saw machines. What is the process you suggest to weld band saw blades, when they break?
Old 1st August 2012, 14:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Very happy to see a Mech Engineer with hands on experience at the shop floor. Welcome to Team-bhp and as GTO said, hope to see you in the technical section also.

Now a question - since there are nowhere else in this portal, that i can ask this - you say you have used band saw machines. What is the process you suggest to weld band saw blades, when they break?
Blade shearing in most cases I've seen is a result of excessive workpiece infeed in relation to the rpm and material removal capacity of individual teeth at a time.

A few machines that I have worked on had a resistance butt welding attachement mounted on the machine frame. After wearing required ppe, you remove the sheared part from both ends of the blade using a die grinder so the ends are as square as possible. Then you slide both ends in into left and right clamps. Joint is heated to fusion temperature and the clamp force fuses the two ends. The joint thus formed is brittle due to ahs properties. Annealing brings back the flexibility in joint. Remove burrs if any.

I have seen machinists brazing saw blades but don't recommend it.

I have also seen a lot of experienced ME's sending the grinding wheel dressing diamonds flying in the air, so, in my personal opinion, they should go for T and D makers or machinist certification. No issues with CNC though since safety features like light curtain, door limit switches are built into the product.
cawnpore ghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread