Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 14th November 2012, 22:27   #1
BHPian

Default Hi from Bangalore!

Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker and finally decided to "upgrade" to contributor. I'm a car, bike, scooter, and electronics aficionado. I've had lots of fun cars in my past -- Ford Cobra, the entire BMW line, and a few others. I've gotten rid of most of the new stuff but still cling to a an early 60's MB SL and an early 70's BMW /5. I"m pretty technical and have taken apart and rebuilt a few modern and classic cars. In the US I used to road race motorcycles and for years did track events with the BMW and Porsche Clubs.

Mini.
miniwarmth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 00:57   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hi from Bangalore!

Let me be the first to welcome you sir. Hope to see you more in the technical section. Welcome aboard and Happy miles. A 60's MB, calls for an Image of that beauty sir.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 18:11   #3
BHPian

Will be happy to lend a hand in the tech section and once I get process down on this site, I will certainly post some pictures.
Old 19th November 2012, 06:06   #4
BHPian

Welcome aboard TBHP, miniwarmth. Please make it a point to go through the rules so that you enjoy a pleasant stay here.

Glad to see you have so much hands on experience and were into racing. Am sure you have a wealth of experience you can share with us.

Looking forward to pics of your MB.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:47   #5
BHPian

Nice of you to join us sir . Please share all your experiences with us and I am sure that we will enjoy reading it .
Old 19th November 2012, 10:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome onboard sir. Please share your knowledge on the racing. I believe quite a few will be interested to know more about this.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:17   #7

Welcome Sir, Its always great to hear insights from Technical guys. I hope your tons of experience and knowledge will help everyone here.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Welcome aboard TBHP, miniwarmth. Please make it a point to go through the rules so that you enjoy a pleasant stay here.

Thanks -- have I (inadvertently) violated any rules? Or is this just a suggestion?

Regarding racing, starting in the early 1990's in the US I used to do 4-6 track events year with BMW's -- E30's and E36's. Both wonderful cars in their own rights and excellent track performers out of the box and with a bit of tinker amazing. A friend of mine got in the Porsche scene and I dabbled in that too -- air cooled 911's, and the very modern GT3. It's a real rush but also a quick drain on the pocket book. In fact, it's more like a suitcase!

As regular motorcycle rider, I ventured in the the stock 500cc racing scene. It's the most fun I've ever had and was less costly that cars. A wreck in car is big bucks. The one thing is you actually feel safer on a track on a motorbike because everyone is effectively obeying the same rules.

My wife though couldn't handle watching though. In the car arena if there is a wreck, everything stops and people speak in hushed tones while an ambulance goes out to check on things. Whereas in the motorcycle scene the ambulance seems to be constantly coming and going, scraping riders off the track and bringing them back in with nary a change in their behaviour. In fact, if you want to win you have to push to the edge that usually means a few crashes with broken shoulders, fingers, etc.
miniwarmth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 16:26   #9
BHPian

Here a few pics of the SL:
Attached Thumbnails
Hi from Bangalore!-230sl_1.jpg  

Hi from Bangalore!-230sl_2.jpg  

Hi from Bangalore!-230sl_3.jpg  

miniwarmth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 16:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwarmth View Post
Thanks -- have I (inadvertently) violated any rules? Or is this just a suggestion?

Regarding racing, starting in the early 1990's in the US I used to do 4-6 track events year with BMW's -- E30's and E36's. Both wonderful cars in their own rights and excellent track performers out of the box and with a bit of tinker amazing. A friend of mine got in the Porsche scene and I dabbled in that too -- air cooled 911's, and the very modern GT3. It's a real rush but also a quick drain on the pocket book. In fact, it's more like a suitcase!

As regular motorcycle rider, I ventured in the the stock 500cc racing scene. It's the most fun I've ever had and was less costly that cars. A wreck in car is big bucks. The one thing is you actually feel safer on a track on a motorbike because everyone is effectively obeying the same rules.

My wife though couldn't handle watching though. In the car arena if there is a wreck, everything stops and people speak in hushed tones while an ambulance goes out to check on things. Whereas in the motorcycle scene the ambulance seems to be constantly coming and going, scraping riders off the track and bringing them back in with nary a change in their behaviour. In fact, if you want to win you have to push to the edge that usually means a few crashes with broken shoulders, fingers, etc.
Just a suggestion is all. I learnt the hard way by even getting warnings so make it a point to advise people. Learn from others mistakes rather than your own. You learn a lot more and a lot quicker that way.

Nice to hear about all your racing. My brother is racing superbikes in south Africa now. Club level I guess. The ninja zx10 cup. He has taken a couple of falls but fortunately no broken anything so far. Just bruises. Lucky I guess.

He is also a CSS coach so he enjoys the racing and rides only on tracks now. Finds it not worth it on the road. Too dangerous I guess. Can't say I disagree. I only ride in Bangalore when I have to. Would rather incur more cost and drive. Prefer a dent in my car rather than my body. A couple of dents have convinced me of that.

Are you still into racing in any form. If so, what do you do.

I love the e30 and 36 bmw's. The e36 was by far the best looking of them all. Cannot handle the bangle designs. Horrible to say the least. Plus over time the cars have strayed from the ultimate driving machine philosophy. Horrid fellows but the profit need overrides everything I guess.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:22   #11
BHPian

A couple of kids and other things changed some of priorities and I'm no longer racing; my license is expired. But whenever, I'm in the US I usually coordinate with a few old friends and do some hot laps.

Your brother is crazy though -- Superbikes?? Things happen so fast with them on the track. I was racing stock EX-500's (aka Ninja 500's). Your brother isn't lucky he's just not winning much I did the same, pushed it a bit. A few "low sides" and slides but nothing serious but I never won much. I was more than happy to get the thrill of the pass and hunting down a few in front of me. Catching the guys at the top required a lot of track time and much more aggressive lines than I was willing to take.

I loved the E30's but the E36's seemed strike the perfect balance of street and track. Kind of like the old Porsches. I agree on the design the Chris Bangle years did get a bit crazy with the the "flame surfacing" design. That said, I like the Z4 with the hard-top;reminds me of the Zagato designs.
miniwarmth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 19:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwarmth View Post
Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker and finally decided to "upgrade" to contributor. I'm a car, bike, scooter, and electronics aficionado. I've had lots of fun cars in my past -- Ford Cobra, the entire BMW line, and a few others. I've gotten rid of most of the new stuff but still cling to a an early 60's MB SL and an early 70's BMW /5. I"m pretty technical and have taken apart and rebuilt a few modern and classic cars. In the US I used to road race motorcycles and for years did track events with the BMW and Porsche Clubs.

Mini.
Hullo Mini

I've just realised that you seem to live in Bangalore.

I have been told that there MIGHT be a 1930s Wolseley Messenger in the showroom of Trident Hyundai in Sarjapur Road, Bangalore.

I've tried and miserably failed to get in touch with them to see if they really have one. Could you find out if they have ?

I have started a Topic on Team BHP about the Wolseley Messenger and the Bomvay Wolseley Depot In the 1930s if you would like to find out more.

Sincerely Sayer
Old 30th November 2012, 16:36   #13
BHPian

Hi Colin --

Sarjapur Rd. is pretty far from where I live. I've actually never been down there before. If I do find my way there, I'll see what I can find out.

That said, I think that "Trident" owns a number of dealerships. Including one on the North side -- of late, a sales rep has been hounding me. Next time he calls, I'll see if he can get me a number for their other location.

Nik
miniwarmth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Hi Mini, welcome aboard! Thats amazingly a wonderful start with a couple of pics of your beauties and your brief notes on your adrenaline rush; awaiting to hear a lot from your racing experience soon! Keep writing and wishing you happy miles with Team-Bhp!
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Hi Mini, welcome aboard! Thats amazingly a wonderful start with a couple of pics of your beauties and your brief notes on your adrenaline rush; awaiting to hear a lot from your racing experience soon! Keep writing and wishing you happy miles with Team-Bhp!
Thanks Chris! These days my racing experience is confined to the Bangalore Roads. Not quite as exhilarating, but more mentally challenging.
Closed Thread