Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2012, 23:26   #1

Default From Maruti to a Mustang - a Brief Introduction

Hi all,

I am a 35 year old Tam Brahm from Bombay (Matunga to be exact - how's that for a stereotype?). Grew up thinking I would never leave the city, which during my time was easily the most progressive, culturally enlightened and the most awesome city in India (keenly enjoyed its rise from Sunil Gavaskar to Sachin Tendulkar, not so much the politics or the deteriorating infrastructure), but here I am in New York since 2004 (work in Manhattan, live in Jersey City), currently working for an investment bank after finishing my MBA a few years back.

I have always been a car buff since I can remember, however didn’t own a car till 2001 – my first car was a 1995 November issue 2nd hand Maruti 800. I have always been more of a driver than a mechanic. My fondest memory is of driving the car to Khandala in 2002 – the drive was perfect till the car broke down exactly as we entered Khandala, almost like Rana Pratap’s horse (was soon back up and running, to be fair), loved the car to death and till 2011 had kept it locked away in Bombay before finally selling it.

When in India, my favorite car was the dukkar Fiat (would insist on finding a dukkar fiat taxi, till they stopped using them for taxis in Bombay). After coming to the U.S., I fell in love with the American Muscle Car. Totally impractical, expensive to run and maintain but still probably the most fun to drive. I have also enjoyed riding pillion on Bullets, TVS 50s, Vespas, Lambrettas, Chetakss, Kinetic Hondas, Ind-Suzukis, Shoguns, Yezdis (and even Jawas) and Yamahas (owned by a wide host of relatives from uncles and aunts to cousins and brothers). Sadly, I have never ridden a motorized bike, but have always fantasized about owning a Bullet.

The car I currently own is a 1967 Ford Mustang – Small Block 289 V8 manual shift (slightly modified to a 5-speed from the original 3-speed), and yes, no power steering (which makes parallel parking the car equivalent to a 1 hour gym workout). I have an almost Gollum-like obsession with my green monster to the extent that I will slip out of bed and go stare at my car in the parking lot in the middle of the night. What I love about the car is that driving it is like taming a beast whether I am doing 20mph or 100mph and of course the stares I get when I do mundane tasks like grocery shopping. I was able to take it to a pilgrimage to Woodstock (tried to see what the 1969 fuss was all about but instead got to see a quaint little charming town totally devoid of any legacy of the famed festival).

Since coming to the U.S. have gotten into road tripping in a big way – till now – have driven from Philadelphia to San Francisco over 30 days (zigzagging via the south and southwest), from Jersey City to Portland, Maine over 2 weeks (making in-between stops all along the North Eastern Seaboard and surprisingly, Salem, Massachusetts), from Jersey City to Niagara falls (with a pit stop at the Pittsburgh Balaji temple, true to form) over 5 days and more recently on a 10 day road trip across Arizona, Utah and New Mexico and a 5 day trip across Puerto Rico. For me the pleasure is in just cruising (though I did get a speeding ticket somewhere along the way) and seeing the landscape change.

In terms of other hobbies, am big into cricket, reading books, movies, TV shows (my current favorite is Battlestar Galactica – the 2004 re-imagined series, sorry Star Trek fans!), writing (trying very hard to write a cohesive short story) and classic rock (The Stones and Zeppelin are my favorites, however, my musical evolution stopped with Green Day, so not as familiar with the music scene now!).

I hope to get sincere advice about maintaining my Mustang and on any other future project I might endeavor to undertake and become as much of a mechanic as I am a driver. As a disclaimer, I am not an engineer and even simple aspects of Physics bounce way over my head. Also looking forward to read people’s blogs (especially travelogues and ownership threads on muscle cars, Ambassadors, Bullets, Padminis and of course, Dukkar Fiats!).

Have posted a picture of my car (can’t help showing off my preciousss).

Regards,
Pradeep
Attached Images

pradeepj251 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 00:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: From Maruti to a Mustang - a Brief Introduction

Welcome onboard ! Have a pleasant stay and enjoy tbhp'n ;-)

I am sure that you will see may petrol heads here of same frequency and wavelength who are very happy to keep the metals that rust.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 05:16   #3
BHPian

Welcome aboard TBHP, Pradeep. Please make it a point to go through the rules so that you enjoy a pleasant stay on this forum.

The mustang is truly a classic, but I have always had more of a soft spot forthe 67 Corvette. Both highly impractical cars though in this day and age. Given a choice though I prefer the older cars without the modcons if it does the basics right and handles well.

We look forward to lots of TL's from you given all the driving you are doing.

And lots of photos of your amazing beast. What did you name her by the way.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Welcome onboard, Visit me on www.ariesonu.tumblr.com, which will again bring you back to TBHP. See if you like something there & then here.

Raab rakha.
Old 21st December 2012, 10:39   #5
BHPian

Welcome to aboard!Thats a well maintained steed u have got.Looks pristine.Looking forward to some more pictures of the Mustang.Hope all your metal-to-the-pedal enquiries will be answered here and You will surely find your brotherhood here because many of our fellow tbhpians are Mustang owners.Drive safe.Cheers!!!
Old 21st December 2012, 10:44   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2012 at 13:19.
sumathindra is online now   Received Infraction
Old 21st December 2012, 12:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Pradeep. Its feels good to see someone living his dream(and your dream, Yeah its my dream car too). Would appreciate if you could upload lots more pics and give a detail ownership report.

Wishing you many happy miles. Drive safe.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

A beautiful car in a lovely colour too!
Wish you all the best!

Was there not a similar car in Steve McQueen's BULLITT?
Old 21st December 2012, 18:20   #9
A M
BHPian

Oh My Gosh!!! You own my dream car. This is what is pure American muscle. This car has something that the current gen Mustang doesn't have. Please do start an ownership thread. Would be awesome to have some first hand info about the legend straight from the horse's mouth.
The other car I love is the Charger of similar vintage and with those injectors popping out of the hood.

Oops!!
Welcome aboard!!

Last edited by A M : 21st December 2012 at 18:23. Reason: Added the welcome note.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 22:27   #10
BHPian

Indians in the US are getting cooler and cooler every decade! In nearly a decade of staying in the US, all I saw was desis in Accords, Civics, Camrys, etc. And most never traveled too much other than the obligatory Niagara falls:-)

Lovely car, bro. And very impressed by your adventurous spirit, seeing how much you have driven across the States.

Take care!
Old 21st December 2012, 23:06   #11
BHPian

Welcome on board Pradeep!
Just love the color. Looks so mean.
I hope you have a big enough stable to keep so many horses.
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A beautiful car in a lovely colour too!
Wish you all the best!

Was there not a similar car in Steve McQueen's BULLITT?
On question on the car chase scene from Bullitt, yes Steve McQueen drove a mustang, but it was a Fastback (mine is the standard 2 door), slightly different lines and of course way more horsepower. But yes that was the scene which introduced me to the American muscle car.
Old 22nd December 2012, 16:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepj251 View Post

On question on the car chase scene from Bullitt, yes Steve McQueen drove a mustang, but it was a Fastback (mine is the standard 2 door), slightly different lines and of course way more horsepower. But yes that was the scene which introduced me to the American muscle car.
Yes I remember that flowing Fastback design. Very reminiscent of a galloping horse. Even had a scale model of it as a kid.
Old 22nd December 2012, 21:47   #14

Thanks all for your very welcoming posts, hope to be an active participant in the forums
Closed Thread