Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2013, 16:30   #1
BHPian

Talking An ‘Introduction’, a long one!

[First of all: Thanks to TBHP moderators for approving my membership in the first go! Sorry to them since I used the 'Assembly Line' section for an Introduction, I was too nervous for my first thread!]

Coming back, Hello BHPians!

I am Ashish Adhana, 18 at heart, from New Delhi. Currently I am doing BBA in New Delhi itself. I have been following T-BHP since 2009, when I was in Class X. My nickname comes from my habit of driving wih loud music! I was a car enthusiast since Class X, I used to read these instead of NCERT books and guides-
Name:  Bs motoring.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  85.6 KB

I drive a Swift Dzire, which has been serving me (rather say tolerating me) since about 2 months. I have also been fascinated by cars and bikes, though I don’t know why cars have always glued me to them, unlike bikes! I like travelling (better say driving to the destination), music, pets, T-BHP and almost everything on 4 wheels with a steering!

Coming to My Car History, I started driving in Class X, when my friends were learning to ride. Our first car was a Maruti Zen LX, bought in 2002. It was very reliable (when compared to our relative’s M800 and Santro) and was used by Dad for his office commute. In 2005, we felt that it was the time for Mom to have a separate car as she had to visit malls, markets and do numerous household works, which meant mostly in-city commute. But, she had no idea about car driving, which meant that she had to learn in the Zen and no new car for her. Since Dad also needed a car, we decided to go for a longer one as we found the Zen small for our trips (At least 2 trips every month), even though we are a family of 4. So, Dad got himself a used 2003 Ford Ikon in 2005 from his office friend (who was shifting to America) and used it for his commute. Do remember that the Zen was handed over to Mom. In 2008, the Ikon felt dated and we decided for a new car. Since, the Ikon was pretty much fine and dealership attitude was also great (contrary to our assumption), we decided to stick to the Ford only, and there it was, Ikon was exchanged for Ford Fiesta 1.4 LXi Special Edition in 2008. I was very much tempted to drive a car, when I went to Class X in 2009. Fiesta being a newcomer in the house, I wasn’t allowed to touch the steering! So, I learnt to drive in our old Zen, which was doing its duty, till then. In late 2009, we sold the Zen (it was 7 yrs old) and got a Maruti Alto LXi for Mom. As I gradually attained perfection in driving, I got the job of parking my Fiesta and tiny Alto at my house (since I was not of a legal age to drive on roads). Now, after 4 years of fitting cars into tight spaces, I feel no difficulty in reversing a car without a reverse camera. Now I am the parking legend of my house!
Came 2010, went 2010, came 2011, in November, we purchased the Mahindra Scorpio SLe. Reasons for this surprise purchase being that my brother needed a car, we needed a big family car for trips, and parking space was not limited! This is the first SUV in the family and there are mixed opinions on this one in the family.

Finally came 2012, I turned 18! I got admission in a college 20 km away from home and needed a mode of transport. 2 of my friends (of Class XII) also came into the same university and we decided for carpooling (1 Fabia, 1 SX4 and my Swift Dzire was added later on), as our homes were at a walking distance and we could burn our fuel and rubber roaming elsewhere!

Search started in September 2012 and after reading lots of reviews and discussions, I shortlisted Swift LDi MT, i20 1.4 Era MT, Polo 1.2 TDI Comfortline and Figo ZXI Duratorq. In October 2012, we booked the VW Polo TDI Highline after considering the features, fit and finish, quality, value, discounts, freebies, etc and yes, the First TD of my life! In some time, we visited a Hyundai dealership to check out the face lifted Hyundai i20 and my heart said “O meri jaan! i20, pakka!” (English: I will buy this i20 for sure). But, price was on a higher side for the desired variant (1.4 Sportz MT) and we finally zeroed down upon Maruti Swift ZDi. We booked the car in November 2012, but dad was not very happy with the rear space and boot space.
When I said it is spacious, he replied: "Our 220 is spacious than this".
Then what? Dealer (thanks to him) tilted our decision towards the Dzire and we booked the White VDi a week later and got the delivery in February 2013. Well, all this belongs to the ownership thread, right?

Now you all must be thinking, NO BIKES?

Oh, well, my parents (and even I) feel that I would be much safer in a car, rather than a bike. And, we had a Chetak earlier (don’t remember the year, etc) which was sold in 2005 and a Bajaj Pulsar 220f was bought in 2010. Unfortunately, I rode it only till mid-2012 (after which I used Alto) and it was lying idle for 5-6 months. Now, fortunately I have started riding it again and it has clocked 16550 kms by now.

Well, I hope you are not bored.
Some data about the cars and bikes I currently own:

Maruti Swift Dzire VDi (My stretched swift!)
- Bought: 2 February 2013
- Kms covered: 2600 kms
- Colour: White
Name:  DZire.jpg
Views: 5339
Size:  93.5 KB

Maruti Alto LXi (Chotu! 0.8 litre car!)
- Bought: 9 November 2009
- Kms covered: 15500 kms
Name:  Alto.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  66.0 KB

Ford Fiesta 1.4 LXi (Wild and White workhorse!)
- Bought: 15 September 2008
- Kms covered: 82350 kms
Name:  Fiesta.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  48.3 KB

Mahindra Scorpio SLe (Badi gaadi of the family!)
-Bought: 15 November 2011
-Kms covered: 26620 kms
-Colour: White
Name:  Scorp.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  73.7 KB

Bajaj Pulsar 220F (My 0.2 litre bike!)
-Bought: 30 August 2010
-Kms covered: 16550 kms
-Colour: Black
An ‘Introduction’, a long one!-sam_1000.jpg

I had decided to end my introduction here, but T-BHP tempted me to write a bit more!

Cars I have driven (other than ours):
Honda City V MT, Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX(O) CRDi, Maruti SX4 VXi, Skoda Octavia 1.9 Rider, Toyota Etios G, Hyundai i10 1.1 iRDE Era, Maruti Swift LDi (Old one), Maruti Ritz LXi, Maruti Alto 800 LXi, Honda Civic 1.8 S MT, Skoda Fabia Ambition 1.2 TDI. And, that’s all I remember. C’mon, I have driven these in past 7-8 months only, after I had turned 18!

Cars I would wish to own:

What an easy question! My answer: Jaguar XFR V8, Land Rover Free Lander 2 TD4, Maserati Granturismo S AT, Ferrari 458 Italia Spider, Mercedes E350 CDI V6, BMW X5 xDrive 50i, Audi RS5 4.2 V8 (in Red), Audi Q7 4.2 Quattro TDI, Bentley GT Continental, Lamborghini Aventador V12, Aston Martin DB9 Roadster V12…That was too much, right?
Limiting myself, I would pick one Tata Safari Storme VX, a Porsche Cayenne S V8 and a BMW X5 xDrive 30d.
Still limiting myself, I would get a Hyundai Verna SX CRDi, a Maruti Ertiga LDi and a Fiat Punto Active 1.2.
Still limiting myself, I would have nothing left except a Tata Nano LX, and yes, I would definitely buy one if it has that Lamborghini (Gallardo) Yellow colour on it!

Now stop staring at your monitor, that was it. Thanks for reading!
See you in other threads!
Packing up…

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2013 at 13:26. Reason: As requested
Loud is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 17:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: An ‘Introduction’, a long one!

Thread moved to the Introductions section.
Welcome to Team-BHP.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 02:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Ashish, Finally someone of my age from delhi on the forum. Even i used to reverse the car and park it in the house, till i got 18 and as i turned 18, no one could stop me from driving.

Do make yourself familiar with board rules, to enjoy a pleasant stay here. Enjoy

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 10th April 2013 at 02:03.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 11:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Ashish.

4 Years of parking practice:

All the best with your college and your new car. Have fun and drive safe.

I really appreciate the fact that your family did not allow you to drive on public roads till you got a license. And a BIG to you for adhering to it.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 12:42   #5
BHPian

Got to be one of the best introductions I've read around here. I too was like you, couldn't wait to be 18 and get my license. I actually learnt driving at the age of 12 but that's a different story.

Anyway welcome to the gang!

P.S. Don't you wish the pulsar came in white too
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 15:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP.
Thanks benbsb29!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Welcome to the forum Ashish, Finally someone of my age from delhi on the forum. Even i used to reverse the car and park it in the house, till i got 18 and as i turned 18, no one could stop me from driving.

Do make yourself familiar with board rules, to enjoy a pleasant stay here. Enjoy

Cheers,
Sameer
Thanks Sameerg001! We underage drivers are the most tempted ones in the house to drive. As a matter of fact, I think I would have reversed the car more than to drive it in forward gears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Welcome Ashish.

4 Years of parking practice: Thumbs up!

All the best with your college and your new car. Have fun and drive safe.

I really appreciate the fact that your family did not allow you to drive on public roads till you got a license. And a BIG clap to you for adhering to it.
Thanks bblost for the wishes! Regarding college, I am just waiting for classes to start and me to sleep!
BTW, there is a police station near to my house and police vehicles are always present at a junction just ahead of my house. So, drivers under 18 can hardly manage to escape the police. Thus, I was never given the permission to drive on roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Got to be one of the best introductions I've read around here. I too was like you, couldn't wait to be 18 and get my license. I actually learnt driving at the age of 12 but that's a different story.

Anyway welcome to the gang!

P.S. Don't you wish the pulsar came in white too
Thanks for the compliments, EagleEye. I am not that great in writing posts though. This introduction has been in my PC (MS Word) since February 2013 (Yes, even before I registered)! I also remember those days when I used to perch on a cushion (kept on the driver's seat) and simply rotate the steering around and honk, even when the car was parked!
Oh, yes! Wish 220 had been white! Then, I would have kept my username as 'White' here! The choosing of colour of the Pulsar was a real dillema. We were confused between Blue and Black, but finally zeroed down on the Black! Contrasting to white, eh?

Thanks all!
Cheers.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th April 2013 at 15:37. Reason: Under-age driving/riding is not encouraged.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
I am Ashish Adhana, 18 at heart, from New Delhi. Currently I am doing BBA in New Delhi itself. I have been following T-BHP since 2009, when I was in Class X. My nickname comes from my habit of driving wih loud music!
Hi Ashish,

Your intro is one of the more enthusiastic ones I have read. Great on you; Welcome to the family!

I have a 17 year old son and I keep telling him that listening to and hearing traffic warnings like horns, indicator sounds, braking squeals and thuds etc. is an important & integral part of safe driving. I do hope that you will not live up to your nickname, too often, while driving.

Drive safe, drive long, have fun, 'Loud'.
Tigger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 15:53   #8
BHPian

Thank you very much, Trigger.
Yes, I do agree that listening to horns, tyre squeals and thuds, etc is an important part of driving safely. BTW I have heard somewhere that Police in the foreign countries are given some training to listening to tyre noises ASAP and react accordingly in an emergency.
Leave it!
'Loud' music is not actually that loud! Just sometimes when the Enthusiast feel comes, I switch to 20-22 Volumes in my JVC 826. Actually, that is also fairly loud, I have JBL GTO1214 Subwoofer with a Mono Blaupunkt GTA135 Amplifier! Sure sir! I will try my best to refrain from listening to loud music.
Thanks again!

PS: I DON'T ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO LISTEN TO LOUD MUSIC WHILE DRIVING.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: An ‘Introduction’, a long one!

Welcome to TBHP, Loud !

Already a BHPian status !
And an infraction to boot

That's certainly "Loud" !

Enjoy your stay here
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 16:53   #10
BHPian

@Bluethunder: Thanks mate! Already enjoying my stay!
I know, buddy, that how cluttered my profile looks!
Posts? 44 now!

What about 'T-BHP EARLIEST INFRACTION AWARDS', eh?
Closed Thread