Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 11th April 2013, 23:20   #1
BHPian

Default Hello from Kozhikode

Hi,friends. Let me introduce myself as an Orthopaedic Surgeon from Kozhikode (also known as Calicut). I have been driving for over 52 years now and have always been fascinated by cars.

Initial experience was entirely confined to Standard 10, Ambassador and Fiat till I moved to UK in 1981 for my higher training. My first car there was a used Vauxhall Cavalier, which was more than a welcome change from our Amby. Soon, I bought a VW Polo, my first new car, with a 1.1 L peppy engine. It was Silver colour with only two doors.

The very next year, I bought a VW Passat diesel, which even in 1985, had a well refined engine. It was a 5 door hatchback. Reluctantly parted with it on my return to India and settled for a Maruti 800 AC.

During my tenure in Oman, i drove a Toyota Corolla for over five years, before going for a brand new Merc C class in brilliant silver. Really enjoyed the almost 70 K kilometres that I clocked in that.
For the last one year, I drive a VW Vento highline diesel, after selling my Honda city,which served me well for over seven years.

Besides, enjoying driving and car detailing, I am very much into photography and am a member of Nikonians.org. I occasionally post my photos there. I enjoy good music too.

I hope it has not been too long an introduction. I hope to be active in the various forums, which I have been following for quite some time now.
premc44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 11:22   #2
vdi
BHPian

Default Re: Hello from Kozhikode

Hello sir, welcome to the forum and good to see a kozhikodan here..

Enjoy your time.

Rajesh.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:26   #3
BHPian

Hello Sir, Welcome to the forum. Good to know your experience with several cars in your lifetime.

Do post a review of your VW Vento with some lovely pics.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:07   #4
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Kozhikode

Welcome sir. Nice to see another Kozhikoden here
Wow, 52 years of driving, that's amazing
I am sure you have lot to share from your driving and photography experiences. Enjoy the time here sir.

Drive Safe,
Deepak
Old 13th April 2013, 03:37   #5
BHPian

Most welcome, you have got 52 years of driving experience, just a treasure house unexplored. Experience is the only thing that have no shortcuts and you have lived through it. Great!!
Old 14th April 2013, 16:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi premc44,

Welcome to the forum! Its a great place to be, with an amazing level of information and some really great members.

My hometown is Sulthan Bathery, and I work in Bangalore. Nice to see a member from Calicut. Hope to meet up and do a nice photoshoot sometime!

- Dhanush
Old 14th April 2013, 18:07   #7
BHPian

Hello Doctor,

Welcom to the Bhp'ans family. Don't worry, your are not alone but there are many Kozhikkodans hiding here and there...
Old 14th April 2013, 18:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

welcome to team-bhp doc. I hope you can share more about the cars and traffic scene in Kerala cities back few decades.
Old 14th April 2013, 20:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,friends. Let me introduce myself as an Orthopaedic Surgeon from Kozhikode (also known as Calicut). I have been driving for over 52 years now and have always been fascinated by cars.
Hello Sir , Welcome to Team - Bhp . I am really happy to see another person from Kozhikode. I am also born and brought up in Kozhikode.
Enjoy your experience here and I am sure that your experience will be a great asset to the group and the members

Cheerrs
Old 15th April 2013, 10:49   #10
BHPian

Hi Premc44, Seems that the kerala-Bhpians will have a very experienced man amongst their midst now! By the way, welcome to team-bhp! Do share your experiences and other useful information with the members which i am sure, everyone here will appreciate! Have a great day Sir!
Old 15th April 2013, 11:08   #11
BHPian

Hello Doc, Welcome to T-BHP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hello Doctor,

Welcom to the Bhp'ans family. Don't worry, your are not alone but there are many Kozhikkodans hiding here and there...
Yup. There are lots of em (including me)
Old 15th April 2013, 14:00   #12
BHPian

Hi Doc,

52 years of driving puts you in a very senior category, both age-wise and experience-wise. Your introduction, if anything felt a trifle short. There must have been so much more that you could have added. Well, I am sure we will get all that in your future posts.

I am from Goa and Mumbai, Sir. Welcome to the family.
Old 15th April 2013, 14:12   #13
BHPian

Thank you everyone for that wonderful welcome. it is a great feeling to know that you belong.

Many people have commented about my 50+ years of driving experience. I started driving when I was sixteen and needless to say, the first few years were done without a valid licence. To compensate for that I now have valid licences from three countries, India, UK and the Sultanate of Oman.

I have been very lucky, so far I have been able to take pride in the fact that by the grace of God, I have been a safe driver and have not contributed to the growing number of accidents. I have driven different kinds of cars, manual or automatic, driven on the right side of the road as well as the left and of course in different countries. I have always observed the legalities in different countries,including the speed limit, except once in Australia. I was driving from Adelaide to Melbourne and was stopped by a traffic cop for being slightly over the sped limit and nearly fined. I got away, with my profuse apologies and the fact that I was a visitor for the first time.

The speed limit in the good roads of Oman is 120Km/hr. You will be most often ignored, even if you clock 130, but beyond that there is no escape. police are all powerful there and they don't take very kindly to that kind of reckless driving and of course drunken driving. Personally, even in a Mercedes, I have never gone past 140Km/hr, it makes no sense to me, you don't save much time and even if you are in a hurry, your chance of an accident exponentially increases with increasing speed. You don't need to test or prove the car's ability, that has already been done by some one else. Trying to do that on our roads, where so many morons run amuck, though with valid licences, is downright stupid. I have seen many drivers in various car forums write about this kind of stunt on our roads, just to reconfirm that their prized possession can touch 180 or 200 Km/hr. Thank God, they are safe and well today.

I practice safe driving. In our country on a good road with not much of oncoming traffic, one can afford to floor the pedal at times just for the heck of it, but on our roads in Kerala, you seldom get that chance. With pedestrians, cows, autos, careless bike drivers and buses sharing the same narrow roads, one has to be careful. You may be a good driver with impeccable road manners and respect for the law, but for every such person, there are ten idiots on the roads without any manners or courtesy, they nevertheless, can afford very powerful cars and will try to show off. Have anticipation on the road, imagine that the fellow in front of you may do something stupid any minute and so, keep a safe distance from him. With good anticipation , you can reduce applying breaks and thus prolong the life of your break pads and do some good for your engine too.
Enjoy your driving. There is nothing more enjoyable than a relaxed sedate driving (does not mean you are at crawling speed),listening to your favourite music. You may reach your destination, may be half an hour late, so what? It has been an enjoyable drive. The longest such drive that I enjoyed was from Melbourne to Adelaide. A distance of over 750Kms, covered in about 11 hours with lunch and coffee breaks and a short nap for 15 minutes.
Just shared some thoughts with you on my attitude to cars and driving. I know there are better drivers out there, who know much more about cars, this was just my two cents. Have a great day.
premc44 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 23:23   #14
BHPian

I think it is only proper that as part of introduction, I should introduce black beauty, Vento HL diesel, my drive for the last 16 months. Together we have done almost 16000 Kms without any problem. Better do the introduction through some photos.

Hello from Kozhikode-p1020196.jpg

Hello from Kozhikode-p1020200.jpg
The Kagu 3D Maxspider mats
Hello from Kozhikode-p1020203.jpg
The Alloy wheels after 16000 Kms
Hello from Kozhikode-p1020205.jpg
The Karlsson leather seats
Hello from Kozhikode-dsc_0002.jpg

Hello from Kozhikode-dsc_0006.jpg

Hello from Kozhikode-dsc_0009.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Kozhikode-p1020184.jpg  

premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 23:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hello Doctor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hello Sir , Welcome to Team - Bhp . I am really happy to see another person from Kozhikode. I am also born and brought up in Kozhikode.
Enjoy your experience here and I am sure that your experience will be a great asset to the group and the members

Cheerrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Hello Doc, Welcome to T-BHP!!

Yup. There are lots of em (including me)
There may be many from Kozhikode, Even I am one among the "hiding" Kozhikodans .
Closed Thread