Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2013, 11:35   #1
BHPian

Default Hi

Hi all! I'm a 26-yr-old software engineer from Hyderabad. I've been browsing this site since a few years after seeing it in Google search results and was quite impressed. I like the level of knowledge being shared here and the content (reviews, experiences, etc.) is of a very high standard. Credit for this goes to the mods and passionate members.

I decided to join the site and was surprised with the lengthy sign-up process but realized it was necessary to maintain the standard of the forum. But after signing up I feel the forum is too restrictive. No access to PM, every post has to be moderated before being posted, and I can't even edit my posts! I was actually forced to double post at one point because of this even though it is against the rules! And no access to PM is a real pain. The only way to contact a moderator is by using the Report function or by replying to one of their posts so that they get a notification. I am forced to use these two methods in a way other than their intended purpose to contact a moderator and it has the potential to be irritating (to the mods).

Anyway, after joining I posted my story about my good fortune and excitement of coming across a very sparingly used 2003 Honda City VTEC. It was a popular thread and many members were happy that I shared my story and I received many Thanks for it.

Since I was new and couldn't figure out the most appropriate section to post it in, I initially posted it in the 'Indian Car Scene' section. After a day or two it was moved by a moderator to the 'Test Drives & Initial Ownership' section. Then after a short time it was moved by another moderator to the Assembly Line because it wasn't an ownership report. The mod very kindly asked me to provide more details and make it a proper ownership report.

Honestly, I don't know anything about cars and do not have sufficient knowledge to use technical terms and do a comparison with other cars to give a proper unbiased report. The best I can probably manage is some silly one-liners like 'I like the acceleration' or 'I don't like the suspension'. That does not constitute a quality Ownership report. I have read other Ownership reports that are of a very high standard and I know I will never be able to meet that standard.

I intimated this (via the Report function) many times over the course of a month and finally my thread appears to have been unceremoniously deleted from the Assembly Line. If it was not deleted and simply moved somewhere, I apologize for not being able to find it and I request a mod to kindly point to where it has been moved. However, if it has been deleted, I must say I am very disappointed with this forum. I have very interesting stories to share about four other cars that I own and it is sad if there is no place here for me to post them and for others to enjoy. In fact, in the sign up process I specifically stated that I was joining in order to share my stories and my membership was approved.

My thread was never meant to be an Ownership report. Isn't there any section in this forum where it can belong? Perhaps in the Shifting Gears section where offtopic things are discussed?

Here is a thread that is similar to mine:
Story about a VTEC

Why was this allowed and mine deleted? This thread also is not a proper ownership report. No offence to the OP of this thread, I am glad you found your dream car!

I request someone to please "undelete" my thread. I spent a lot of time taking pics and writing it up. I also had to spend a lot of time making it up to my wife because in her eyes it was time "wasted" that I could have rather spent with her!

I am glad I joined this forum. Everyone is extremely helpful. I have been mostly active in the 1st gen Honda City owner's thread because of my recent purchase of the VTEC and I would like to thank everyone who helped me. I ended up saving a lot of money based on their advice of importing an O2 sensor rather than spending 22K for it in the Honda Stealership (lol!).

This is a great forum and I look forward to my continued membership. Cheers!
Old 15th May 2013, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hi

You can try this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sendmessage.php

You would get a reply from a Moderator. If not, try PM'ing a Moderator
Old 15th May 2013, 14:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
You can try this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sendmessage.php

You would get a reply from a Moderator. If not, try PM'ing a Moderator
Thank you for that link

PM feature is disabled for me since I am a new member. I don't know when it will be activated.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Anyway, after joining I posted my story about my good fortune and excitement of coming across a very sparingly used 2003 Honda City VTEC. It was a popular thread and many members were happy that I shared my story and I received many Thanks for it.

Since I was new and couldn't figure out the most appropriate section to post it in, I initially posted it in the 'Indian Car Scene' section. After a day or two it was moved by a moderator to the 'Test Drives & Initial Ownership' section. Then after a short time it was moved by another moderator to the Assembly Line because it wasn't an ownership report. The mod very kindly asked me to provide more details and make it a proper ownership report.
Are there any guidelines for a proper ownership report? If someone bought a car but only has a couple of things to say about it then does it not qualify for an ownership report?

Quote:
14. While the Team-BHP Support takes decisions only with a community-centric attitude, public threads / discussions on Administrative decisions & Moderator actions are not permitted. For any clarifications, BHPians are free to use the Contact us form.
One of the rules of this forum is that discussions on Admin/Mod decisions are not permitted but it'd be great if someone can clarify what is the minimum criteria for somebody's ownership report to be featured in that section.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Are there any guidelines for a proper ownership report? If someone bought a car but only has a couple of things to say about it then does it not qualify for an ownership report? ...
It is not about the number of things that count, but the depth of personal observation. It is an "ownership report", not "off-the-cuff comments on someone's car" - the difference in involvement should be apparent. If one reads the existing Ownership reports in that section, that should be 'guidelines' enough as to what is expected.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
not being able to find it and I request a mod to kindly point to where it has been moved.
Guess your thread was merged.

See here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3087862 (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less)

Is this what you are searching for?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
One of the rules of this forum is that discussions on Admin/Mod decisions are not permitted but it'd be great if someone can clarify what is the minimum criteria for somebody's ownership report to be featured in that section.
I am not criticizing the actions of any moderator. I just wanted to know where to post my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why yes, thank you very much!!

Now I would like to edit my OP to clarify my thread wasn't deleted but I can't!

And also I have already replied to another post above this but it hasn't appeared yet because it is waiting to be moderated. So I can't edit it to include what I want to say now. I have to create this new post and it might end up being a double post!
Old 15th May 2013, 15:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now I would like to edit my OP to clarify my thread wasn't deleted but I can't!
Edit is allowed for only the first 20 minutes for any member. Newbie or distinguished.

Quote:
And also I have already replied to another post above this but it hasn't appeared yet because it is waiting to be moderated. So I can't edit it to include what I want to say now. I have to create this new post and it might end up being a double post!
Relax. The moderation limit is only 25 posts. When we joined, it was 50. You are just a few posts away.
Old 15th May 2013, 17:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:

This is a great forum and I look forward to my continued membership. Cheers!
Hello bowser,

I think if you read the rules and guidelines/how to post half of your doubts will fade away. 25 posts and you will be labelled a 'BHPian' and would have access to PMs/replying without the need of the moderator's approval.

When I was a newbie I felt it was restrictive. If you look at the larger picture the moderators '25 post' rule helps you understand the forum so you're equipped to post without mod notes or infraction warnings.

I support the moderators in this case because Team BHP stands out for quality and easy access to a huge knowledge database.

All of us aren't as 'technical' so to speak as some of our other forum members. But hey what's the disclaimer for? I don't put numbers & figures in my posts but I do try to cover as many aspects as possible.

Also you can edit a post within minutes of posting but not beyond that. If you go through all the guidelines and all the rules you would not be bothered much.

I suggest spending 25-30 minutes on how the forum functions and you'll be good to go without having to worry about small things.

There's a system in place which ensures there's pattern and not chaos. A lot of other forums struggle for quality and I suggest you make the comparison yourself.

P.S : Kindly note my opinions are based on the smooth functioning on the forum which I really enjoy.
Old 15th May 2013, 18:16   #10
BHPian

Hello, and welcome to the family of "team-bhp"

since you own a honda city 1st gen, i request you to add a few pics of the car and also to let us all know the updations to your car (Managing to Save 22,000 rupees is certainly a big help! ) and the pun "stealership"

Regards,
Rajoy.
Old 15th May 2013, 22:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello bowser,

I think if you read the rules and guidelines/how to post half of your doubts will fade away. 25 posts and you will be labelled a 'BHPian' and would have access to PMs/replying without the need of the moderator's approval.

There's a system in place which ensures there's pattern and not chaos. A lot of other forums struggle for quality and I suggest you make the comparison yourself.
I read the rules (mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-posting.html) and couldn't find anything about these restrictions for new members. Is there another set of rules that I have missed?

I am a member of other forums and I fully agree this is one of the best I've seen in terms of quality and "family friendliness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Hello, and welcome to the family of "team-bhp"

since you own a honda city 1st gen, i request you to add a few pics of the car and also to let us all know the updations to your car (Managing to Save 22,000 rupees is certainly a big help! ) and the pun "stealership"

Regards,
Rajoy.
Hello Rajoy! Pics and the story about my car is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3087862 (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less)

My car is completely stock, no upgrades. To avoid repeating and derailing this thread, the story of how I saved around 20K can be found here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3095770 (1st Gen Honda City Owners - Problems Areas, Fuel Efficiency and more)
Old 15th May 2013, 23:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I read the rules (mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-posting.html) and couldn't find anything about these restrictions for new members. Is there another set of rules that I have missed?

I am a member of other forums and I fully agree this is one of the best I've seen in terms of quality and "family friendliness".
Yup, you've missed a bit of reading

Here you go : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-benefits.html (Explanation of Membership Levels (Newbie, BHPian etc) & Their Benefits)
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread