Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2013, 19:53   #1
BHPian

Default Thank you

Just for a change, I thought that I will open my introductions with a thank you to everyone who started this site and to the incredible community of participants who power this site through their positivity, enthusiasm and knowledge.

My name is Mohan. I live in Mumbai. I moved here after a decade in the States hoping to get closer to family and make a fresh start in life. Trading away my organized and systematic daily routines for the chaotic urban cauldron that is Mumbai undoubtedly has been one of the most illuminating experiences of my life.

This is a tough town that takes no prisoners. It certainly isn't for the faint of heart. And I took my time to make peace with Mumbai. But now, I am not sure if I'll fit in anywhere else.

In previous lives, I have owned a Ducati Monster 750 (very briefly), a Honda Prelude (peppy little thing), two Nissan Altimas and a Scion TC. None of these is anything close to the powerful / sexy cars that others in this forum seem to own (or have owned). But, that TC was hands down one of my favorite cars. Although the soft suspension was slightly annoying in a coupe, the car was hugely satisfying. That thing could move (especially with the added TRD chip and exhaust).

The Altimas... well, they were just flawless work horses and dependable companions over multiple trips across the US (Miami to LA and back).

Moving on, I was fiercely adamant about not buying a car during my life in Mumbai. A lot of that sentiment has to do with the traffic situation and my personal lack of distaste for public transportation (I am an urban planner by qualification, you see).

But, of course, I got married and couldn't stomach the idea of putting the wife and visiting parents / in-laws thru' discomfort for those trips to the hospital, the train station / airport. So, after a long search, I finally found a used Maruti Ritz ZXI recently.

I hope to see and help some of you on the road.

Cheers.
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 20:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Thank you

Welcome to the forum Mohan and looking forward to lots of contributions from you!

I drove an Altima more than 3000 mi along the West Coast recently and agree with your assessment that it is a workhorse. You are being modest- the rest of your vehicles form quite an enviable collection and you have nothing to fear here . We are all equal here on team BHP!
Old 21st June 2013, 20:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Welcome to the forum Mohan and looking forward to lots of contributions from you!

I drove an Altima more than 3000 mi along the West Coast recently and agree with your assessment that it is a workhorse. You are being modest- the rest of your vehicles form quite an enviable collection and you have nothing to fear here . We are all equal here on team BHP!
Thank you Noopster. You are lucky to have made that trip along the west coast. I hope that you did it with no agenda and no time lines. Not many people get to experience the road for the living, breathing, evolving creature that it is.

My cross-country trips were the meditative balms that I needed periodically... you know just to feel like maybe life was cutting me some slack.

Sometimes I think that I am truly at peace only when I am behind the wheel...
Old 21st June 2013, 20:38   #4
BHPian

Cool Re: Thank you

@mohansrides.
Hi and welcome to team bhp buddy!. Have a great stay here. Happy to know you are a Mumbaikar! . Hope we meet up sometime on our way!. As you said, Mumbai is indeed a tough town at the same time its the busiest too. But, its just a matter of time and believe me you will start loving this wonderful city!.

Do post the ownership report of your Ritz. Will read it for sure.

Anyways, wishing you good luck.
Cheers.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyAsta View Post
@mohansrides.
Hi and welcome to team bhp buddy!. Have a great stay here. Happy to know you are a Mumbaikar! . Hope we meet up sometime on our way!. As you said, Mumbai is indeed a tough town at the same time its the busiest too. But, its just a matter of time and believe me you will start loving this wonderful city!.

Do post the ownership report of your Ritz. Will read it for sure.

Anyways, wishing you good luck.
Cheers.
Hello greyasta... Thank you for your kind note. The tone of your message makes it clear that you exemplify the "Mumbaikar attitude" - always upbeat and positive. And you're right. This town has seeped into my veins. I am now a convert. For example, from the days when I would bitterly complain about the city's traffic situation during major festivals, I have now come full circle.... Now, I am actually looking forward to Ganesh Utsah and feel a strange pride in the City's unique connection with Lord Ganesh. Long live Mumbai!!!

Cheers.
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the team, Mohan! Just onboard and already following some of our philosophies . Yeah, I'm pointing to that pre-worshipped Ritz ZXi. As a lover of used car deals, and the sheer value they provide, happy to read. With the way that petrol cars are suffering, I hope you got a great price.

You MUST head out of Mumbai over the weekends. This road is beautiful in the monsoons.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 17:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome to the team, Mohan! Just onboard and already following some of our philosophies . Yeah, I'm pointing to that pre-worshipped Ritz ZXi. As a lover of used car deals, and the sheer value they provide, happy to read. With the way that petrol cars are suffering, I hope you got a great price.

You MUST head out of Mumbai over the weekends. This road is beautiful in the monsoons.
Thank you GTO. I couldn't agree with you more about the value equation with regards to used cars.

By the way, I am not sure if this is the right place for it. But, I am uploading a couple of pics of two of my rides from the past.

Speaking of cars.... although the probability of it is almost zero, if life does indeed take me back to those shores, my next car will either be a VW GTI (MT) or an Audi A4 (AT); complimented with either a BMW R1200R, or a Triumph Bonneville T100, or a Honda CB1100. And I am buying none of those new...
Attached Thumbnails
Thank you-altima3_2.jpg  

Thank you-scion1_2.jpg  

Thank you-ritz1.jpg  

mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread