Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 22nd August 2013, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Default My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”

Phew, third time lucky I must say. One of the greatest moment happened in my life when I saw those two words “MEMBERSHIP APPROVED” on Independence Day.

Well to start with, I live in Salem, Tamil nadu and Co-Owner of our family run Business. Married and expecting our first kid shortly. We are manufacturing Sago (in a mid-large scale at 2 factories) which is called as Sabudana in Hindi. Am adding this here just because, it is very famous in Northern part of our country and purely no intention in marketing it here.

I used to go to school by our school bus and that was the first instinct on the Motor-Head in me. In those days, I used to watch the bus driver passionately and getting the single-seat near the driver was passion! Infinite number of hours I had spent on observing how he drove, how he engaged gears, released the clutch while accelerating at the same time. I can very well remember when I first laid my hands in steering wheel of a 6 wheeler (No it’s not a truck, it’s a Mahindra B275 Tractor). Yes at the age of 14, that was too much to ask for; I still did. I will just steer the vehicle and my driver will take the control of brakes. To be frank, I learnt driving myself and have never visited a driving school.

My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-tractor.jpg

The only car in our entire family in those days (Maruti 800) was owned by my uncle. One fine day in 1999, while he was not at home I tried to open the car and voila it opened. I just sat on the driver seat and felt the controls and when I opened the glove box, there I saw the keys. Suddenly I thought why not crank the engine and move it a little bit. Gathered all my senses and cranked the engine, engaged the first gear and released the clutch, the car jerked and came to a halt. That’s it; I was all sweating and came out of the car. After repeated attempts later on, I moved the car for a few 100 metres and started driving on streets few days later. That’s how I started driving cars. My elder brother (another Motor head) is a great companion for me and he learnt driving just like how I did.
At the same year we pestered our dad that we have to own a car now. We are a family of 6 members, hence our first choice was Tata Sumo, but since our driving cycle did not warrant a diesel car, we dropped it and booked a California Gold Maruti Omni 8 Seater. I was in cloud 9 when I first saw our first car. We owned it for 14 years and sold on Jan’13. We had lots of memorable moments and some bitter moments with the car.

My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-rajas041.jpg

In 2006, I ventured into trying out our Load-Truck (obviously, un-loaded when I tried) 1994 model Ashok Leyland with our driver seated next to me. Don’t curse me – it was within our private property, around our mill’s pathway with no persons walking around). Bigger wheels gave me a totally different experience, which I slowly mastered too. Though it is not necessary for me to hold a HMV license, I often think of taking one; if this is a part of my destiny, I might. I wish that I must!

My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-picture-048.jpg

In 2009, while hunting for our second car, I came across Team-BHP. Of course, from then on I was glued to this community. We ended up buying a Grey Innova VX 8 Seater on Aug’09, which contended over Scorpio, Tavera and Xylo; my first thanks to T-BHP for the numerous knowledge I got during this decision making process. Though it is hard to drive this monster in city, its highway manners are great. Very comfortable for long drives and it is a people mover.

My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-dsc_0503.jpg
My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-dsc_0505.jpg

It was a high time last year because we bought 2 more cars. A Fluidic Verna for my brother and Jetta Tdi Comfort line (Ownership thread will follow soon) for myself.

My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-dsc01066.jpg
My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-img_7280.jpg
My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-img_7339.jpg

Fellow BHPian Mister_M is a good friend of mine and his post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2848874 (VW New Jetta (MT) - Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver??? Update: It's Moonrock Silver!) helped me to finalise on the color of my Jetta; Since then, I have tried a couple of times to get on-board in TBHP and am happy to be successful on my third (at least)attempt now.

I love travelling and have personally driven more than 3Lac kilometres on some motoring vehicle or the other in my 29 years of life; I love being passionate about motoring and travelling. My each mile has its own story / experience around it and I will definitely look for all possibilities to share them here whenever and wherever required.

Having widely used Japanese / Indian / German / Korean rooted cars and other vehicles, my choice mostly bends towards the Japanese & Germans for Luxury / comfort (Owner driven types) and the Indian made choices for heavy / rough-and-tuff applications (driver-driven types). The Koreans somehow fail to impress us and this is just my view (definitely not intended to provoke Hyundai owners around).
I would like to specially mention and thank GTO, HVK sir, Rudra_sen, anshman, shankar.balan, Sgiitk, Laluks, Ampere, ajmat,etc., for keeping me glued in this forum. All their “gyan”s at various threads (ranging from a simple ICE advice to a Travelogue or even the Jokes thread) impressed me so much that I fell in love with this community so many times. I still am not sure if I would be active / passive out here; but I certainly can assure – whatever my participation is, it will be meaningful.
I am going to paste our famous “Live to Drive” sticker on my Jetta (I wanted to badge it on my Jetta only after getting the membership) and this speaks it all. I definitely “Live to Drive”.
Jetta_Volkmann is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:55   #2
BHPian

Default Re: My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”

Congratulations and welcome to the TBHP family.
It is indeed a great moment to see the two words as you mention.
Liked your intro and good to see someone with varied experience out here.
Looks like you guys have a fixation on three digits of any same number on the plate
Looking forward to more writeups.

Last edited by HillMan : 22nd August 2013 at 17:01.
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:42   #3
BHPian

Arrow Re: My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”

Welcome on board mate; It is really nice to see you in T-BHP!

Now it is time to paste your long-waited "Live To Drive" badge on the Jetta's rear bumper. And don't forget to post a picture of it in the Forum once done.

Happy revving around buddy.

Cheers!
M
Old 22nd August 2013, 21:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Volkmann View Post
One of the greatest moment happened in my life when I saw those two words “MEMBERSHIP APPROVED” on Independence Day.
Very true Jetta_Volkmann! Can totally understand the feelings! I almost cried when I saw those two words today morning!
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Jetta_Volkmann, (went through the post but could not find a name!), your photo above resembles and is worth to be a TBHP Facebook Cover photo!

Welcome to this great forum.

- Sai
Vihari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 10:11   #6
BHPian

Welcome aboard Jetta_volkmann! Handler suggests you are from a different planet! Good resolution not to use sticker till you became a member of this respectful community. And I hope that this would have given you enough motivation to become a member. By the way, the word sago reminds me of my frequent visits to Namakkal earlier. I frequently travel to Kovai from chennai by road at least once in two or three months and hope to catch you up then.
Old 24th August 2013, 12:10   #7
BHPian

Congrats Jetta...

Finally! it seems that you have posted your Introduction...

I can see clearly that you have spent quite a lot of time in coming up with this introduction...

Lets meet up some time...

Please post your ownership review of Jetta 2.0 TDI as soon as possible...
Old 24th August 2013, 16:17   #8
BHPian

Jetta, that was a fantastic intoduction. Your post really brought back my memories as well, since I too learned on my own and used to observe bus and car drivers pressing their foot on the clutch pedal and throwing the gear lever. In fact I used to mentally drive cars lying down making sounds of the motor and shifting my legs to press the clutch and accelerator pedal.

My first drive( when I was in my 8th grade) too was my uncle's ambassador, I had taken the car keys from him on the pretext of opening the door to see the car and the bolted the main door of the house from outside ( to prevent them from running and coming on hearing the engine sound) just got into the car started it put into gear and just drove off for a small round around the block using only the 1st and 2nd gear. I was all red and excited and in fear also when I reached my home with all of them waiting for me(luckily no firing, they were all shocked )

Yes I think you should get your heavy licence and drive your trucks too and hope to catch up with you some time on the highway since we pass through your city often.
Old 26th August 2013, 15:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the TBHP family.
It is indeed a great moment to see the two words as you mention.
Liked your intro and good to see someone with varied experience out here.
Looks like you guys have a fixation on three digits of any same number on the plate
Looking forward to more writeups.
Thanks Hillman, as you said all our cars number are like that. we are not fans of number like that, but somehow it ends up like that. Definitely am looking to contribute as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Welcome on board mate; It is really nice to see you in T-BHP!

Now it is time to paste your long-waited "Live To Drive" badge on the Jetta's rear bumper. And don't forget to post a picture of it in the Forum once done.

Happy revving around buddy.

Cheers!
M
Hello Mister_M, nice to see you around here. Yes my dream has come true. Here am presenting my car with 'LTD' crown.

My new 4 wheels, the “T-B-H-P”-wp_20130825_003.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Welcome aboard Jetta_volkmann! Handler suggests you are from a different planet! Good resolution not to use sticker till you became a member of this respectful community. And I hope that this would have given you enough motivation to become a member. By the way, the word sago reminds me of my frequent visits to Namakkal earlier. I frequently travel to Kovai from chennai by road at least once in two or three months and hope to catch you up then.
Thanks Krish, In fact I got my set of stickers way back in 2010. Took 3 long years to me for using it in my car. Gave my car a good wash (took good 2.5 hours) and installed the sticker. While I was taking snaps my mom commented 'even a girl will fail to impress you as much as this car do'. I really liked that comment.

Yeah Sago is quite famous in salem, namakkal and attur. From your words, I guess your native is Coimbatore. Do inform me on your next drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingGuru67 View Post
Congrats Jetta...

Finally! it seems that you have posted your Introduction...

I can see clearly that you have spent quite a lot of time in coming up with this introduction...

Lets meet up some time...

Please post your ownership review of Jetta 2.0 TDI as soon as possible...
Thanks Guru, Yes I thought of starting this journey with a bang. took lot of time to search and find the snaps. By the way I have already working with my Jetta ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Jetta, that was a fantastic intoduction. Your post really brought back my memories as well, since I too learned on my own and used to observe bus and car drivers pressing their foot on the clutch pedal and throwing the gear lever. In fact I used to mentally drive cars lying down making sounds of the motor and shifting my legs to press the clutch and accelerator pedal.
Thank you majumon, learning through observation and executing is quite a difficult task by itself, but the experience is amazing. Good that we did not make a mess and at the end of the day, all are happy. Don't forget to call up while crossing my place. We will catch sometimes.
Old 26th August 2013, 17:09   #10
BHPian

Hi Jetta_Volkmann, Welcome to the forum. You rightly said, this forum glues anybody coming near it. I'm glued to this for over 3 years now, and got my membership approved in April '13.

No wonder that i check this site more often than my mail id.

Happy motoring, buddy!
Old 26th August 2013, 18:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Krish, In fact I got my set of stickers way back in 2010. Took 3 long years to me for using it in my car. Gave my car a good wash (took good 2.5 hours) and installed the sticker. While I was taking snaps my mom commented 'even a girl will fail to impress you as much as this car do'. I really liked that comment.

Yeah Sago is quite famous in salem, namakkal and attur. From your words, I guess your native is Coimbatore. Do inform me on your next drive.
Though I do not belong to Coimbatore, I do frequently visit the place as my better half belongs there. And, yes for almost 3 1/2 years, I was working in a cement company at Coimbatore. On our way to Coimbatore by road, we generally take a break at Salem to stretch my legs and more so, because of my fond memories there.
Closed Thread