Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 3rd October 2013, 20:00   #1

Default Mumbai-car in Delhi

Hello BHPians, I'm a Mumbaikar living in New Delhi, and I want to drive a Mumbai car in Delhi. Before I introduce myself, allow me a few of sentences of praise for this community.

I love you guys. The kind of effort and dedication is takes to build such a passionate and resourceful community is exemplary, and you have gained my respect a long time before I decided to apply for membership.

One of my biggest interests is technology, and I joined a couple of gadget forums a few years ago. Back then, I saw threads where people were complaining about the sign-up process on this site and that is what first drove me here. I was not too interested in automobiles back then, so I just read a few threads and returned to the technology websites. The website was etched in my memory. I decided not to apply before I was sure why I wanted to join the community.

When I started visiting online forums, I had a Nokia 3500 Classic phone and to save money on text messages, I heavily used SMS lingo. I tried to cram as many emotions as possible in every message, leading to terrible posting habits online. Luckily, the forums I joined were in a mess and nobody banned me. One fine day, I completely lost it at the amount of time it took to decipher each text message and decided to abandon SMS lingo. From then on, I have experienced varying degrees of annoyance at the lack of forum etiquette, basic manners and poor language in many online forums and social networking websites. I fought a losing battle against the falling language standards, and the rising use of swearwords in a couple of forums.

Long story short, I was extremely impressed when I revisited Team-BHP a couple of weeks ago. The forum is largely free of text-speak or swearing or the barrage of emoticons that assault my eyes online. Kudos to the staff members for keeping the forum clean. The quality of content here is excellent and hopefully I will be able to add something to the community.

I was driven here by the need for a new car. I'd planned a short pitstop at Team-BHP before telling my parents to zero in on a car. Fortunately, that short pitstop was frankmehta's Swift ZDi thread and it got me so hooked to the community that I felt like joining it, four years after I first visited the site. You can read reviews all day long and never be able to make a buying decision. But when you read an initial ownership report of an excited driver, you are bound to feel like buying the same car, from the same dealer. Frankmehta's thread made me want to buy a Maruti from Vitesse in Worli, preferably from the same service advisor (Mitin Udeshi). I've already asked my father to visit the showroom and see if he likes the Swift. We're still a few weeks from making the decision, but that thread was a very good place to start.

I then read GTO's reviews of the Swift and i20, and was blown away by the quality of writing, precise and in-depth nature of the review. Even though I am a beginner when it comes to cars, I had no trouble understanding most of GTO's reviews. Following that, I read some of the excellent travelogues on the forum (most memorable ones being "solo-LEH-tude", Bangalore to Leh, inter-city luxury bus rides, and a few others) and I knew why I wanted to join the community.

That brings me to, well, me. I am a Mumbaikar who works in Delhi. I am a journalist. My job involved covering technology (reporting) during the day and editing for the city edition of a newspaper till around 1 am. When you work in a newspaper, you realise that it is very easy to get caught in the vicious cycle of monotony. I am a versatile person, and my hobbies are following technology, reading, music, films, football, F1, travelling, photography, cooking, among many others (in no particular order of preference). I felt I was not getting a chance to expand beyond the profile that my job requires due to time constraints. I'm so drained on my off days that I do not feel like pursuing non-work related hobbies. Of late, I have been trying to break that cycle and after seeing the travelogues here, I was sold.

Once I get my car to Delhi, I will be going on long drives to the Himalayas. I want to return with travelogues for the community. A cynical reader may say that I could have written travelogues without joining Team-BHP. True, but I am not among those who enjoys writing for myself alone. I like an appreciative audience, which can offer constructive criticism and help me improve my writing and photography. Let's hope that works out and that I can become a useful member of this community. I've seen quite a few Team-BHP stickers in Delhi, Mumbai and on various highways. I assure you that my new car will have one too.

My experience with driving is, sadly, fairly limited. My parents own a 2001 Maruti Alto LX (only 26,000 km till date). I recently drove them to Pune and back, so we are now ready to get a second car and so far it looks like it will be the Swift. That Alto is the epitome of a barebones ride, and this time around, I refuse to sacrifice on the interiors or safety features in the car.

Moderators, I have read the rules and will go through them again. I don't think I will violate any rules as long as I'm here. My thanks to you for keeping the forum clean and ensuring that the content quality is top-notch. You've done a great job, keep it up.

GTO, in case you are reading this, I would love to tag along for one of your car reviews. I'm a big fan of your writing, and if this works out, I'll hopefully learn a few things about cars and may be able to help with the review too.

That's all I wanted to say. Thanks for reading this long introduction.
Crow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai-car in Delhi

Welcome to the Forum and to Delhi too. Lovely introductory post and looking forward to reading some of those promised travelogues soon.

Why don't you buy your Swift from Delhi itself? It should cost you much less here than in Mumbai.

Whats the story behind that handle?

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd October 2013 at 23:48.
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:23   #3
BHPian

The swift is an amazing family car.
But, welcome to Delhi and TBhp Crow!
Hope you love it here. I have very similar interest as you, except football!
And, also be a part of the delhi meets!
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Mumbaikar in Delhi; same pinch
and giving up the sms language

welcome to the forum and look forward to reading your travelogues, you have a way with the words.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 00:35   #5
BHPian

Nice introduction there. If you end up buying the Swift from Mumbai you could drive it to Delhi

Welcome to the forum. Delhi members meet very often now so be sure to attend the next get-together. Best of luck for your future purchase and good luck with the trip to the Himalayas.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 09:09   #6
BHPian

Smile Re: Mumbai-car in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I'm a Mumbaikar living in New Delhi, and I want to drive a Mumbai car in Delhi.
Welcome to the forum.

Any particular reason for driving a Mumbai car in Delhi? Cars here are cheaper as compared to Mumbai, we pay more road tax in Mumbai.

Looking forward to see you in the meets.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...pm-nfc-17.html (Delhi NCR Meet: 29th Sept 2013 @ 6 pm, NFC)

I am a Mumbaikar too and I drive a MH registered car in Delhi

Rishi
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 18:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Welcome to the Forum and to Delhi too. Lovely introductory post and looking forward to reading some of those promised travelogues soon.

Why don't you buy your Swift from Delhi itself? It should cost you much less here than in Mumbai.

Whats the story behind that handle?
Thanks drmohitg.

My father is going to pay for the car, so we decided that it would be best to get it in Mumbai. I am in Delhi due to my job, and not sure if I will be here for too long. I plan to use the car for around five years. My understanding is that we will have to pay a conversion fee when a DL registered car is driven in Mumbai. Might as well pay the higher taxes now and avoid unnecessary paperwork later. A few people told me that there is no fee/penalty for driving outstation vehicles in Delhi. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for the handle, the crow is my favourite bird. One of the most intelligent, resourceful and under-appreciated creatures on this planet. It is pesky, but me and my family have been feeding and observing it for over nine years now. And we love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Mumbaikar in Delhi; same pinch
and giving up the sms language

welcome to the forum and look forward to reading your travelogues, you have a way with the words.
Thank you for the warm welcome, nothing like finding a fellow Mumbaikar in the capital. I'm glad you liked my introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Nice introduction there. If you end up buying the Swift from Mumbai you could drive it to Delhi

Welcome to the forum. Delhi members meet very often now so be sure to attend the next get-together. Best of luck for your future purchase and good luck with the trip to the Himalayas.
I was thinking of the same thing actually. I've read tour logs here that say some stretches of that route are great for driving. Having read some tips about giving the engine a proper run-in, I'm not sure if a long drive is the wisest thing for a new engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Any particular reason for driving a Mumbai car in Delhi? Cars here are cheaper as compared to Mumbai, we pay more road tax in Mumbai.

Looking forward to see you in the meets.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...pm-nfc-17.html (Delhi NCR Meet: 29th Sept 2013 @ 6 pm, NFC)

I am a Mumbaikar too and I drive a MH registered car in Delhi

Rishi
I've mentioned the reasons in this post and I read that thread before joining. Nice to see you guys having a good time. Will try and make it for the next meet. I'll be car-less for a while, will probably have to make alternative arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
The swift is an amazing family car.
But, welcome to Delhi and TBhp Crow!
Hope you love it here. I have very similar interest as you, except football!
And, also be a part of the delhi meets!
Thank you. Will try to make it for the next meet. We will get many opportunities to discuss non-automobile topics here I'm sure.
Old 4th October 2013, 18:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
A few people told me that there is no fee/penalty for driving outstation vehicles in Delhi. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yup there is nothing usually since Delhi gets a lot of vehicles daily from neighboring states. At the most they might ask for your documents late at nights but even that is very rare. No checking regarding road tax etc.
And if you play your :"Press card" then they will not even ask you for your DL.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 00:02   #9

Don't really know where I can ask this, so posting it here. What is that silver koala bear thing on the moderator badge? Looks like a koala bear to me, but not really sure.
Closed Thread