Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 4th December 2013, 23:54   #1
BHPian

Default Hello Team-BHP

Hello everyone
Feels amazing to have my membership approved and to be able to post after years of lurking the threads. I'd promised myself I'd register when I got my first car, and now that I (finally!) do, it was time.

I'm currently 19 years of age, and pursuing my engineering in my home state of Goa. Ever since i remember,
I've loved cars more than is probably healthy and I've owned scale models and toys since a young age, and my fondest childhood memories are linked to some of these toys. Growing up, my family has owned atleast 25 cars that I can remember, ranging from Merc's, to Mazda's to Pajero's. Now, finally, I have been given my own car, a pre worshipped Skoda Octavia, which i zeroed in on due to fond memories of the same model that we owned a few years previously. Despite having a spot for certain cars, I've tried not to make a mental wishlist until I can start earning independently.

Apart from cars, I read a lot, ranging from fantasy genres, to sci-fi, covering almost everything in between. I used to be a state level swimmer and have won medals in swimming and diving at various state meets. I'm a fanatical Formula One fan(Viva Alonso!), with MotoGP a close second. Football (and Manchester United) is a huge part of my life, and playing football with friends on rainy evenings on a beach is just about as good as life can get. Cycling is another hobby of mine, that I don't devote as much time to as I probably should though.
TeamBHP is hands down an online Mecca for enthusiasts in India, and I look forward to being a productive member of this wonderful community. It's great to finally be here!

Thank you for reading everybody.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2013 at 14:59. Reason: Please use spaces between your paragraphs; results in superior readability
KhalDrogo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 00:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hello Team-BHP

Game of Thrones fan eh?
Welcome to the forum

Our interests are almost alike except that I prefer WRC over F1. Please do share a few more details on your used Octy; which variant, colour, planned mods.

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th December 2013 at 00:56.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 09:41   #3
BHPian

Hi Ishaan
Yeah, a huge GoT fan, been reading for quite a few years. Can't wait for The Winds of Winter to come out.
I used to watch a lot of WRC back when it was telecast on Star Sports. That along with my Autocar subscription helped me keep track of every race. However for 10th and 12th my subscription wasn't renewed and I sadly lost all contact WRC. Quite a shame, because a talent like Loeb may not be around for a long long time.

As for my Octavia, it's a 2006 model, Golden, 1.9TDI Rider, run 80,000km. Apart from a few minor scratches the car was in great shape. However we decided to replace the suspension set, tming belt, brake rotors and a few other parts to ensure trouble-free running for a few year. However the dealership gave a quote of 93k for this, plus replacement of all the filters and pumps, as well as changing the engine oil, which I found to be extremely overpriced. So after some online hunting, I found the OEM parts for almost 70% off the dealership price, and had them sent over to be fitted after a painful wait of 2 weeks. Side note, I even found a set of unused OEM alloys that had never been used, and at throwaway prices. I got a new set of tyres too from a local dealer.

Next up, fixing the minor scratches and nicks on the exterior. Thankfully there are no dents. This shouldn't take too long, hopefully. And in between a fitting for custom seats, where I can't decide between art leather, or high quality cloth seats. Guess I'll just pick based on the samples available in the shop. The covers should be ready by the time the paintwork is done, just in time for my exams to end, for me to FINALLY bring my car home!

However one thing remains, that's been giving me sleepless nights. I've always wanted an OEM spoiler and a vrs bumper fitted on my Octavia, but convincing my dad would be very tough, as he's a staunch believer of function over form(He was willing to shell out 93k for mechanicals!). The added 14k and 16k price tags at the dealership would make this challenge even harder. So if anyone could guide me as to where I could source these two parts for less, I would be grateful.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2013 at 15:00. Reason: Please use spaces between your paragraphs; results in superior readability
Old 5th December 2013, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
As for my Octavia, it's a 2006 model, Golden, 1.9TDI Rider, run 80,000km. Apart from a few minor scratches the car was in great shape. However we decided to replace the suspension set, tming belt, brake rotors and a few other parts to ensure trouble-free running for a few year. However the dealership gave a quote of 93k for this, plus replacement of all the filters and pumps, as well as changing the engine oil, which I found to be extremely overpriced. So after some online hunting, I found the OEM parts for almost 70% off the dealership price, and had them sent over to be fitted after a painful wait of 2 weeks. Side note, I even found a set of unused OEM alloys that had never been used, and at throwaway prices. I got a new set of tyres too from a local dealer.

Next up, fixing the minor scratches and nicks on the exterior. Thankfully there are no dents. This shouldn't take too long, hopefully. And in between a fitting for custom seats, where I can't decide between art leather, or high quality cloth seats. Guess I'll just pick based on the samples available in the shop. The covers should be ready by the time the paintwork is done, just in time for my exams to end, for me to FINALLY bring my car home!

However one thing remains, that's been giving me sleepless nights. I've always wanted an OEM spoiler and a vrs bumper fitted on my Octavia, but convincing my dad would be very tough, as he's a staunch believer of function over form(He was willing to shell out 93k for mechanicals!). The added 14k and 16k price tags at the dealership would make this challenge even harder. So if anyone could guide me as to where I could source these two parts for less, I would be grateful.
I always maintain to go for high quality cloth instead of art leather. Real leather or no leather since especially in our country, faux leather with its breathing inabilities, is a pain and just doesn't come close to the feel of the actual thing, merely looks the same.

As for sourcing parts, I'm sure a brief search through this forum will give you a few pointers.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As for sourcing parts, I'm sure a brief search through this forum will give you a few pointers.
I realised that the dealership parts for mechanical components were overpriced via the forum, but repeated searches haven't given any results on the aesthetics part of it. Maybe I don't know how to use the search feature in it's entirety yet. Still a newbie!

And yeah, I think good quality OEM fit cloth seats would be be ideal.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:52   #6

Welcome on Board KhalDrogo!

Envy the fact that you are from Goa!

Looking forward to seeing some nice suggestions for TBHPians that travel to goa. Which are a million I guess!
richiesubbaiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 11:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard chieftain of the Dothraki!

Quote:
I used to be a state level swimmer and have won medals in swimming and diving at various state meets.

Do have a glance through the forum’s rules prior to posting. And do share the ownership report of your Octy (there are plenty of madly modded ones in the forum!) and the travelogues on any recent trips you’ve taken.

Have a pleasant stay here!
Old 6th December 2013, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiesubbaiah View Post
Welcome on Board KhalDrogo!

Envy the fact that you are from Goa!

Looking forward to seeing some nice suggestions for TBHPians that travel to goa. Which are a million I guess!
I'd be glad to offer travel tips to visitors. Right from hotels, night life, restaurants, friendly taxi drivers, to places to visit. Sadly, too many people visit all the wrong places in Goa, that have been completely ruined by years of over commercialized tourism. There are some great places that are untouched and pristine and see very few visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Welcome aboard chieftain of the Dothraki!

Do have a glance through the forum’s rules prior to posting. And do share the ownership report of your Octy (there are plenty of madly modded ones in the forum!) and the travelogues on any recent trips you’ve taken.

Have a pleasant stay here!
Thank you Gannu, will edit that out of the post right away, though I sadly still can't see what rule I'm violating.

I do plan to make a lot of posts, just have to wait for my month long exams to end.
Old 6th December 2013, 14:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
will edit that out of the post right away
Hey, I was just giving you a headsup on the rules. Your posts are just fine.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread