Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2015, 05:55   #1
BHPian

Smile Hola! I am new around here and here's about me...

I have been granted 'member' status at team-bhp, and am mighty thankful for it. I decided just to go internalize the forum's rules on how to post and what not to do. Consciously, I haven't gone through the other introductory posts yet so that I can bring out what's on my mind, strictly unconditioned. Here I am - just winging it within the rules of the game now. Sorry if this turns out too different from what you're used to.

I am 31 years old, 6'4" tall and I weigh in at 91 kg. I am afraid I may get shorter as I age since I find it hard to sit straight on chairs, car seats or practically anywhere, given my height. Girls giggle at me, kids run behind me on the streets and old people instantly try to rewind their memories whenever they see me. I am exaggerating a bit, but I bet you get the picture.

I own a Honda Unicorn motorcycle back in Chennai, and used to own a Maruti Swift VXi (2008). I sold the Swift in 2013, when I came over to Connecticut, USA, from where I am writing this post currently. I now own a 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD. At least with the Rogue, am truly happy to be able to sit upright and drive over long distances!

Motoring anecdotes about myself:
* I used to be an avid motorcyclist. I have done two Udupi-Chennai coast-to-coast trips on my Honda Unicorn, plus multiple runs within Karnataka and TN. I even tried some offroading in the jungles in Karnataka once. Those were probably the best days of my life!
* I have done a lot of trips on the Highways in India on my Swift VXi and rarely in a borrowed Maruti Ritz, Tata Manza or Toyota Etios. It's a hair-raising experience to drive in India, upon hindsight, now that I drive in the interstate highways in the USA in my compact SUV. But I'll tell you what, I somehow prefer the wilder Indian highways. You can't shake off the feeling of being watched all the time in the USA, while you're totally free in India to drive as you wish. (Deep down however, I do appreciate all the rules and safety that the US driving-experience affords to the discerning driver.)
* I am an avid Top Gear (UK) fan. I even proselytized my young niece into being a hardcore fan of this show!
* Even the Americans find me quite tall. Many a stranger has walked up to me and spoken to me about it. And hence, I wasn't surprised to find that I couldn't fit into many of the smaller-segment cars here when I was looking around to buy one. That being the case, I do find excellent choices for tall people here - the big pick-up trucks, gas guzzling SUVs etc which do 14 miles per gallon (or 5 km per litre), and which "kill the baby seals" and "anger the eco-mentalists" as Jeremy Clarkson would say! I think I will stick to compact SUVs which fit me, while not killing the planet!

Enough about me now though. I look forward to reading through the forums and maybe even posting an ownership review of my Rogue (if there's a sub-forum for phoren cars here, i.e.).

Thanks for reading this far! You're far too kind.

PS: I am not the Stig.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 11:20   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hola! I am new around here and here's about me...

Welcome on board. It was really a nice intro about yourself. You would find so many interesting things on the forum, be it motor or non-motor.

I understand your about 'frame size'. I am also a very well built man. 6 feet tall and some 2 feet wide.

Hope you will have a great time around.

Welcome once again.

Last edited by rki2007 : 10th January 2015 at 11:23.
rki2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 18:05   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the forum !!
and Happy New Year !!

A very good introduction of yourself

I too am a well built person at 6ft 3in and weighing about 120kg. (Yes, i know I am obese) So, you can imagine, that i am a small moving mountain
Being at this height, in India; everyone looks at me like I don't belong here; as if I just landed from some other planet, from some other galaxy.

Anyways, you mentioned that you were never comfortable in before in cars. Maybe it could have been due to incorrect seating posture (everyone has that one PERFECT setting); and now that your in USA, roads are much better and MOST of the people running on them are better (they follow rules).
themonster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 15:42   #4
BHPian

Welcome to the forum locusjag ! Great intro, I am on the other end of the spectrum with a height of 5.4" :P
Old 12th January 2015, 04:35   #5
BHPian

@ rki2007

Aha! It's always nice to meet someone who understands one's points of view! Thanks, and well-met, I must say.

@ themonster

Happy new year to you too. Yes, you're right - my problem has always been with poor posture. But having a minimum seating height to begin with is what really helps. Given the right height, I tend to sit straight. And about the driving conditions in the US, well - it truly is stupendous. I couldn't have imagined it to be any better.

@ Kartavya

Thanks for the warm welcome mate! 5'4" is a good height, trust me. There are so many things you can do, such as be a spy for an intelligence agency wherein you're needed to blend into a crowd, pop a bullet or two at someone and disappear. Or you could have tried signing up to be a fighter pilot (I know I wouldn't have qualified). The list is endless...the bright side is indeed bright, what say?
Old 13th January 2015, 18:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum!

Your issues with height reminded me of a girl I knew from school who was 6'1" (taller than almost everyone at school). Her only "demand" when it came to her wedding was "I want to wear high-heeled shoes after the wedding and it shouldn't look odd with my husband next to me". And I heard she eventually married a state volleyball (or was it basketball?) player who is 6'5".
Closed Thread