Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 23rd February 2015, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Default Finally, phew...Team-BHP!

What a relief? I finally got approved on Feb 2, 2015 (the 1st anniversery of my current drive Crimson Red Ford Ikon TDCI) and have been ultra-addicted.

I was hyper-addicted to this website since May 2004 (Akshaya trithiya to be precise) when I brought my first set of modern wheels - 2000 Mettalic Silver Hyundai Santro LE. I tried tried tried and tried for the Team-BHP membership since then but alas!.

Probably, I am the current Team-BHP record holder with more than 80 tries. Started my first drive on getting my licence in 1998 with my Dad's Premier 118NE. This car a wonderful piece of engineering saw me make umpteen travels to Shirdi/Shanishinganapur, Pune, Lonavala-Khandala, Goa, Mt Abu, Daman, Lonar, Saputara, Nashik, Triambakeswar, etc. It was eventually crashed by a friend against a Road Roller without tail lights just after the Jogeshwari Flyover late night of September 30, 2003 at 60 kmph. We should thank our stars for being alive. Also had an original 1988 Jap Yamaha RX 100 and Enfield Fury (Damn you local mechanic, Kapur Wadi Thane for promising and then going back on your word in getting me parts and building the Fury). The Yamaha was my life and I had spend a fortune on restoring it to its prime (Thank you Yamaha service, Sindhi Society - Chembur).

Back to my Santro, it was swallowed by the July 27, 2005 rain and resulting floods in Mumbai. I got back my car from Sharayu Hyundai, Navi Mumbai after an agonizing 7 months and numerous bargaining with ICICI Lombard Insurance for a better claim. It was a pathetic situation looking at the number of vehicles affected then. I badly wanted to join Team-BHP to first get help and then help others after my ordeal. No luck!

A new job took me to Muscat, Dubai, Bahrain, Qatar in 2006 where company handed me a Mazda 323 and then a Mazda 6 and later Mazda RX8 (I worked for a Oman company which dealt with brand Mazda, so all employees of this conglomerate got a Mazda or Toyota, Firangs got LR, Jag, etc. So, much for discrimination I still kept trying becoming a member of Team-BHP. My dad, a keen automobile enthusiast (done a mumbai-kerala in a HH CD100, My back hurts thinking of it!) was handling my prized Santro in Mumbai. 2008 saw me pack off to London, UK for an MBA and PSW - Post Study Work from the moolah earned in Muscat. LOL. 2010 while being in London, saw me meet my better half in Kolkata. I came back to India for good late 2010 (blame the recession-no opportunities in the UK). I used to drive an Old VW Golf in Hounslow, London UK (bought it for GBP 550 and spend GBP 1000 on MOT and Insurance - The Indian equivalent of Murgi se mehenga Masala. LOL). Tried the Team-BHP membership also while being in the UK but rejects all the while left-right and center. Lol.

In Kolkata joined ITC Infotech, Got married and settled in 2011. Transferred to Bangalore by ITC. Got back to Kolkata joining TCS and first son in 2012 and second son 2013. All along I was joined by my better half in trying to get a membership in this exciting forum (She being a English honours student tried all the flowery queen's language in the questions section of the new user in Team-BHP. Lol). My better half learned all about cars from Team-BHP and our constant change of cars - 2010-2012 Green Maruti Suzuki Wagon R Lxi Duo driven to Bangalore from Kolkata and back.

2012 saw our grey Honda City Zx Gxi with which we frequently visited Digha, MandarMoni, Orissa-Puri-Konark, etc. 2013 saw the best set of wheels we ever purchased - Blue Streak Mitsubishi Cedia New Sports. We sold it to a team-bhpian in Bangalore. This car had seen Kolkata-Mumbai-Kolkata (On return through Lodhashuli forests - I can confirm the cedia is tank-built), Mumbai-Lonavala-Mahabaleswar-panchgani-Goa-Mumbai and finally Kolkata-Bangalore. I tried tried and tried to join the Cedizans of Team BHP but alas!

We now own a pre-worshipped 2010 Ford Ikon TDCI which has seen Kolkata-Chennai-Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry-Kolkata, Kolkata-Banaras-Allahabad-Kolkata, Kolkata-Siliguri-Darjeeling-Mirik-ManeyBhanjag-Chitrey-Kolkata before we trekked to Sandakphu, Moley and Phalut . It also has seen Siliguri-Gangtok-Kolkata on the ruthless NH34. However, I can vouch for this incredible machine (Love Condors Ikon) returned me 30 kmpl of diesel without AC and now runs like a gasoline car. Have been always using it with System-D and have covered 27000 kms between Feb 21, 2014 and today. Also have a 2010 French Eclair Maruti Suzuki SX4 Zxi which is partly chauffer driven and for all in the family. Also, purchased a pre-worshipped Mineral Red Dec 2007 Tata Safari 2.2 DICOR VTT on Feb 13, 2015- Yes Friday the thirteenth. Thank you ADC and others for all the wonderful journey's and threads with your Safari. I since have been trying hard to join Team-BHP for experiencing the Safari boards.

Alas, I am not going to have the Safari ready from Mahindra First Choice - Mukesh Hyundai, Kalikapur, Kolkata and am using the SX4 for a dream drive starting on Wednesday Feb 25, 2015 - Kolkata-Rameswaram-Madurai(dad joins us from Mumbai via Nagercoil Express)-Kodaikanal-Palani-Coimbatore(marriage of a cousin)-Bangalore-Tirupati-Kolkata - March 14, 2015. So have my newbie membership to post live - my better half would be updating everything while i drive. I will be adding all my adventures with cars and travels in Europe, Africa and US sometime latter. Thank you for patiently reading my first topic. Whoa am I excited! I would also like to give my heart felt thanks to all mods, HVK Sir and all the wondeful ppl who have made my day on day.
SafariMan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Finally, phew...Team-BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
What a relief? I finally got approved on Feb 2, 2015 (the 1st anniversery of my current drive Crimson Red Ford Ikon TDCI) and have been ultra-addicted.

I was hyper-addicted to this website since May 2004 (Akshaya trithiya to be precise) when I brought my first set of modern wheels - 2000 Mettalic Silver Hyundai Santro LE. I tried tried tried and tried for the Team-BHP membership since then but alas!.
[/IMG]
Let me be the first to welcome you onboard SafariMan! It does feel great to be a part of this community and it is a privilege that most of us get after many attempts! Even I got mine after trying 4 times (but 80 is a real record- hats off to your persistence!) and after following for 3 years!
All the best to you and looking forward to hearing your Car-Tales!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd February 2015 at 10:27.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Default re: Finally, phew...Team-BHP!

Quote:
Let me be the first to welcome you onboard SafariMan! It does feel great to be a part of this community and it is a privilege that most of us get after many attempts! Even I got mine after trying 4 times (but 80 is a real record- hats off to your persistence!) and after following for 3 years!
All the best to you and looking forward to hearing your Car-Tales!

Regards,
Behemoth
THANK YOU. Behemoth. Your words are really appreciatedl.Yes its great to be here. One change. Been trying for 11 years!

Mod Note: Please use "Quote" button below the respective post- you can also "multi-quote" by using the Quote+ button.

Last edited by noopster : 24th February 2015 at 19:28. Reason: Refer mod note inline
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:49   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Finally, phew...Team-BHP!

Welcome to Team Bhp. Hope to see you around in the Kolkata Team Bhp meets. Must say 80 tries in 10 years is really something. It shows your love for Team Bhp.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 21:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Welcome to Team Bhp. Hope to see you around in the Kolkata Team Bhp meets. Must say 80 tries in 10 years is really something. It shows your love for Team Bhp.
Sure @Samba. We will meet up during the meets. Yeah I love Team BHP for the passion most members exhibit for their chariots. Amazing
SafariMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 13:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome onboard SafariMan!!
80 tries must be something. I got lucky on my second try, so just can't imagine what it would have been felt when your membership approval came up.

Great to have you here. Please don't forget to go by the rules of this forum and always abide by them.

Hoping to meet you on the next Kolkata meet!

Keep revvin'
petrolhead_neel
petrolhead_neel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 16:14   #7
BHPian

Dear safariman, congratulations! 80 tries, phew. Did you check with the Guinness folks if you qualify for a new record.

Hats off to your sheer tenacity and perseverance and never say die attitude.

You are the new benchmark for people like us who get dejected only in a couple of failures. Keep writing and keep revving.

Mod note: Please start your sentences with capital letters. Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2015 at 10:23.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 18:16   #8
BHPian

Welcome onboard! You have taken my expectations through the roof with your intro and now I am waiting to hear (read) a lot of interesting stories and see beautiful picture from your past and future sojourns.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 18:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I tried tried tried and tried for the Team-BHP membership since then but alas!.

Probably, I am the current Team-BHP record holder with more than 80 tries.

Wow wow & wow. 80 tries, that is some persistence. Super like for your and moderators patience

Welcome and see you around the forums.

Cheers!
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 19:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hi Safariman, welcome to the forum and look forward to your travelogues- those are some fantastic drives you have notched up!

Am finding it hard to believe that someone with your flair for writing was rejected 80 times by our admissions process! A touch of hyperbole, perchance?

In any case, what's done's done. Wish you a wonderful stay here- do look up our posting rules and announcements so that you can make the most of your long-awaited membership!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 23:11   #11
BHPian

Welcome to the club! Your persistence and passion have finally paid off
We have quite a few people from TCS kolkata in this forum. Here are few Kolkata specific threads which you might be interested in:

Last Kolkata Meet
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-2014-a-7.html (Kolkata Winter Meet 2014)

West Bengal Travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-tourists.html (West Bengal - A treasure for tourists)

We also have a Whatsapp group where we keep in touch with fellow Bhpians, organise meets, help each other and discuss what we love most: Cars ! I have PM'd you contact number of admins, do join if you use Whatsapp.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 17:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
We also have a Whatsapp group where we keep in touch with fellow Bhpians, organise meets, help each other and discuss what we love most: Cars ! I have PM'd you contact number of admins, do join if you use Whatsapp.
Can I join in too? Presently in Kolkata and would love to join the TBHP meets whenever you guys organise them. No issues if there's any problem.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 12th March 2015, 18:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello SafariMan, welcome to the forum

Trying since 2004? I got my membership in 2006 and I do remember, I did not have to try for it. I became active in late 2010, so this admission process should have started somewhere around 2008, a good 4 years after you started trying.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 20:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Can I join in too? Presently in Kolkata and would love to join the TBHP meets whenever you guys organise them. No issues if there's any problem.

Regards,
Swapnil
PMd you the numbers. See you in the group soon
Old 14th March 2015, 21:18   #15
BHPian

Anybody who persists for 80 tries over 11 years to get approved deserves my respect.

PS: Are the standards of TBHP really this high, and if so, is this a realistic standard?

PPS: Yes, and yes. That is what makes it a quality site.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

« Hello | Greetings! »