Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 6th March 2015, 03:39   #1
BHPian

Default Bonjour!

Hello fellow members,
I am a software manager by profession and most of my day time is spent on looking at programming code while dreaming about cars.

I like petrol cars and love to take them to their extremes, sort of. This basically involves squeezing the maximum mileage out of the cars. The best I got was 32kmpl from a rental Corolla once. That moment was one of the most emotional ones in my life. But this passion has lead to getting stuck on a highways with an empty tank on more than one occassion, which also tested my own mileage while walking to get some petrol. I also got 21 from Maruti Alto, and 19 from WagonR. Don't remember that of 800.

Most people who sit on the rear seat of my car doze off to sleep due to the very stable NVH and invariable speed that I maintain.

I also like chicken and XBOX. but not Kinect.

I own a 800, Alto LXi 2007, WagonR VXi 2008 and Swift VXi 2013.
ChupaRustam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 19:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bonjour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChupaRustam View Post
The best I got was 32kmpl from a rental Corolla once.

I also like chicken and XBOX. but not Kinect.

I own a 800, Alto LXi 2007, WagonR VXi 2008 and Swift VXi 2013.
Welcome onboard.

You are a mileage addict and you like petrol cars!?! Shouldnt you be a bigger fan of the diesels? Speaking of mileage, you'd probably be shocked to hear what I am getting these days! 15MPG! That converts to roughly 6.4 kmpl! Although this is mainly due to lot of idling to make sure the car is warmed up for the kids.

Chicken and xbox? Hopefully you meant one in the context of eating and the other in the context of playing. Because, I am not sure how people would take to you playing with both chicken and xbox
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello ChupaRustam,

Welcome to the forum. I like your forum handle

I was just talking to a friend the other day that there was a time when petrol was costing Rs. 80/litre and I used to drive like a hooligan with a lot of redlining. Now, after many years, it costs around Rs. 68/litre and I have begun driving with a light foot. Every time I'm at a fuel station to refuel, I am eager to calculate my F.E and surprisingly, I manage to extract 13 - 13.5 kmpl from my Grand i10 (petrol) in city driving conditions. There is just a different kind of joy on achieving those figures. So I can totally empathise with your fancy of extracting maximum F.E.

Although, highway runs things are different. The best I've got is 18.xx kmpl from my Ritz (petrol) while the worst I've got was in my Zen at 9 kmpl (due to extreme forms of driving).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Chicken and xbox? Hopefully you meant one in the context of eating and the other in the context of playing. Because, I am not sure how people would take to you playing with both chicken and xbox
Old 7th March 2015, 19:45   #4
BHPian

Hello!
A person who loves to explore the next mileage milestone is highly oriented towards a cleaner environment
You could share some tips about getting driving frugally in start stop conditions- like- upto what rpm do you shift from 1st to second in the swift, how soon do you engage fifth in city conditions etc.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Welcome onboard.

Shouldnt you be a bigger fan of the diesels? Speaking of mileage, you'd probably be shocked to hear what I am getting these days! 15MPG!

Chicken and xbox? Hopefully you meant one in the context of eating and the other in the context of playing.
What I actually love is to extract the max out of a machine and take it to its limits, in a different context though. I feel petrol is the true fuel for a car and Diesel engines were meant for commercial trucks. And yes I like playing with xbox and not chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Hello ChupaRustam,

Every time I'm at a fuel station to refuel, I am eager to calculate my F.E and surprisingly, I manage to extract 13 - 13.5 kmpl from my Grand i10 (petrol) in city driving conditions.
Thats me too. Every single time. On 2008 WagonR I have been getting 11.5-14 with AC and 14-17 without AC in Delhi, with 18.5 on highway. BTW I have learnt that the phrase "city mileage" is a very vague one, as you can see from my mileage figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Hello!
You could share some tips about getting driving frugally in start stop conditions- like- upto what rpm do you shift from 1st to second in the swift, how soon do you engage fifth in city conditions etc.
Some tips:
- Keep engine in 1600-1900 rpm for comfortable drive. Definitely shift up at 2000 rpm. 2k+ rpm is the high power zone. Use it for acceleration.
- General gear suggestions for each speed are 1st: 0-10, 2nd: 10-20, 3rd: 20-30, 4th: 30-40, 5th: above 40 or 45
- many people give heavy acceleration to overtake a car and then have to apply slight brakes immediately in a few seconds due to traffic. Learn how you can minimize the use of brakes while while using same time to reach point A to B, by looking at cars even much ahead of you.
- In delhi I drive in rightmost lane. Its a bad habit and unethical, probably illegal too. But it has smoothest speed and gives best mileage.

In general, applying brakes even slightly kills mileage. Not only is your engine uselessly burning oil during braking period, it also wastes the oil you used to accelerate in the first place. With practice and patience we learn to use brakes better. Although, when in doubt, don't hesitate using them.

One day I might write an article on mileage, unless someone has already done it on TBHP.
Closed Thread