Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2015, 01:20   #1

Default Greetings to Everyone

It actually feels great to become part of such an awesome community. Honestly speaking, surfing this site has actually become an addiction. I really enjoy and appreciate extremely detailed and brilliant reviews (especially ownership reviews).

I am a tax consultant by profession (completed my MBA last month and recently re-entered the corporate world) based out of NOIDA and by hobby I really like to own cool gadgets. I literally have no savings and every month I end up buying something or the other no matter how I hard I try to save.

As far as cars are concerned, I love driving for many reasons- It unwinds me when I am upset, it multiplies my happiness when a day turns out to be good and it takes me away from the world when I intend to. My father likes to have a chauffeur driven car whereas I hate drivers simply because I want my car to be driven the I want it to be. Long story short, I adore my cars to the core.

I started off driving as soon as I attained the legal age for it and my first car was a Wagon-R VXI. It was a fantastic vehicle. I had to never worry about parking it in the hustle bustle area of South Campus (Delhi University) and getting it serviced costed few hundred rupees only. It was a very practical and economical vehicle and it really pinched me when I had to sell it off.

Then after good 3 years of relationship with Wagon-R, I got to drive my mother's Toyota Corolla. My mother has been a phenomenal driver and her car is no less than home for her (clean and shining all the time). So I had to be very careful (lot of sentimental attachments she has with the Corolla). Amazingly, Corolla used to give better FE than Wagon-R and it feels plush to sit as well as drive. Maintaining Corolla has been little expensive primarily because of poor service experience with Galaxy Toyota but ever since we have moved to Noida, Uttam Toyota has really surprised us with their brilliant servicing. In May 2015, Corolla will complete its 11th year with us and trust me, the car (clocking over 125,000 kms on the odometer) still looks and feels as good as new.

Finally after few months, I got the opportunity to drive Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. It was Delhi's first Chevy Cruze on paper. I drove it for more than 50,000 kms. Never allowed drivers to touch it (except in service stations) and I have actually sat for 8-9 hours at service station just looking at the car. Needless to say, Cruze is meant to be driven around. It is not at all a chauffeur driven vehicle. The amazing turbo that used to kick in as soon as RPM crossed 2,000 mark literally made me feel like a race car driver at times. But, I had a very saddening and pocket snatching service experience with the Cruze. Its AC stalled multiple times and engine kept giving troubles which used to dig holes of 30-40,000 rupees every quarter apart from regular servicing it really required being a diesel vehicle. So as I was pursuing MBA, my father thought it was prudent to sell off the car and he did so even if we got merely peanuts in its re-sale value. Cruze was my love and I actually cried for days when it was sold off.

My father drives a red Skoda Yeti 4X4 Elegance (import and not Indian built). It looks boxy and I never liked it in first impression but as soon as I entered the cabin of the car, well dad got go ahead from me right then and there. It is so easy to enter and exit Yeti and it is very comfortable to drive. Possibly the easiest car to drive in that price bracket. We did think of buying a Toyota Fortuner but it seemed too big for our family of four and we all agreed to Yeti. Yeti is a feature rich car and it sails on the road. Wish we had automatic version for it. In past four years, the car has not asked for any special attention and regular prescribed maintenance is keeping it healthy. It does lack the turbo feel I used to get out of Cruze but then it is much more easier to drive and manoeuvre.

Anyhow, now I am back in town and I am back to Corolla for the time being. My mom gets jitters every time I take it for a ride. Obviously I needed to have a car for every day purpose and we had the option of either buying an automatic D+ segment car (which I would use) or buy some sort of entry level luxury SUV for dad (and Yeti goes to me).
I did a lot of research in the recent past, read close to 15 ownership as well as official reviews on Team-BHP and settled on the new Corolla and Audi Q3. We test drove Merc GLA, Merc B Class, Audi Q3, BMW X1 and for Corolla we had no competition in our head. Budget being tight, we almost agreed on Corolla as dad is very happy with his Yeti and naturally Corolla costs half of what Q3 does.

But then lot of persuasion by me and great pre-sales activities of Audi staff motivated dad to go for Audi Q3 Premium Plus. So last week we finally booked the Audi Q3 and we will take delivery of the same two weeks from now.

This post is a big thank you note for all the Team BHP enthusiasts because of whom choosing cars has been so easier for quite a lot of time now.

I shall be posting detailed TD experiences and ownership reviews in days to come.

P.S: Having authored lot of stuff and managing blogs of my own, I like express everything through writing only. Hence, my posts will generally be long.

Cheers !
ckhattar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 23:57   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Greetings to Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhattar View Post

P.S: Having authored lot of stuff and managing blogs of my own, I like express everything through writing only. Hence, my posts will generally be long.

Cheers !
Welcome to the club. You are at the right place if you like to express everything and write long posts. Forums here are testament to that.

Look forward to your posts, especially Cruze servicing.

Cheers!
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:26   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome buddy! Super to have you with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhattar View Post
Having authored lot of stuff and managing blogs of my own, I like express everything through writing only. Hence, my posts will generally be long.
You don't say .

Considering my reviews are (on an average) 6000 - 7000 words, we're two of a kind.

Quote:
In May 2015, Corolla will complete its 11th year with us and trust me, the car (clocking over 125,000 kms on the odometer) still looks and feels as good as new.
That's Toyota! Their cars age very slowly. Hard to get rid of an ol' Toyota Corolla as the resale doesn't match the utility it can still offer.

Good to hear about your positive experience with the Yeti too. I've yet to meet an unhappy Yeti owner; says a lot about the car.

Quote:
But then lot of persuasion by me and great pre-sales activities of Audi staff motivated dad to go for Audi Q3 Premium Plus.
Congrats on the Q3. I'd pick it over the GLA (an A-Class on stilts) and X1 (too mediocre) any day. Look forward to an ownership report from you.

Drive safe.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a great write-up there. Welcome to the group!

Great choice with the Audi Q3. Looking forward to your ownership review
Closed Thread