Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 6th April 2015, 12:35   #31
BHPian

Default re: The man who helped me become a millionaire has let me in!

Welcome on-board.

I do agree its prudent to invest wisely but buying a car for some is more than just dollars and cents. It's also about happiness and investing in your passion. I doubt their is a monetary figure one can put on this.

Anyways everyone to one's own. See you around the forums.

Cheers!
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 13:14   #32
BHPian

Default re: The man who helped me become a millionaire has let me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I have no much writing skills, so pardon any short comings.
Welcome Aboard Mr. rationalist ! It was a lovely write up and enjoyed reading it, literally I could visualize your write up. And who said you don't have any writing skills, then I better say I don't know how to speak!
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 13:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The man who helped me become a millionaire has let me in!

Great OP

1) I have a Zen AX (manual Steering) and I have learnt one can remove the EPS (Power Steering) from a Lxi Zen and retro fit it. Check with your local mechanic. It is quoted at 12K for parts in bangalore scrap yards, 9-10K in Delhi markets, labor about 2K extra.

2) For the Automatic trouble - see this site

http://www.cityclutch.com/

I didnt trust this myself when I first saw this about 5+ years ago. Last month (after I got the Zen AX) I happened to meet a owner (of a Manual Alto) who was specially abled (Left leg polio) who had this system installed. It was a ease to use and can be switched to manual at a flick of a switch. Costs 45,000Rs and takes about 3 hours to install at the sellers place in bangalore.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:06   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Rational Dude!

I'm glad that you found my thread helpful. It's the principle I live by = Buy the best car you can in the budget and use it for a long time.

BUT, even though my thread encouraged you to wisely hold onto your car, 15 years is good enough. It's time for a change . Highly recommend reading this thread - lateral upgrades (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)). Sell the Zen and buy a nice pre-worshipped modern car. For not much money, you'll get a lot more power, space, safety, features etc.

Wonderful to have you onboard!
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

What a lovely introduction! Nice read.

Welcome on board and may more of the tribe increase (rationalists).
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Welcome!
I hope you are not a rationalist just because you choose to be in that team.
alpha1,
I'm a scientific person and all progress mankind made was due to science. When my daughter was born, the hospital gave a form to fill and there is a column to specify religion, I have filled it NO RELIGION. I was born into a semetic religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Welcome on-board.

I do agree its prudent to invest wisely but buying a car for some is more than just dollars and cents. It's also about happiness and investing in your passion.

Cheers!
Dear heydj,
I'm not against buying cars, but in fact I love cars too much. The reason that I'm holding on to my Zen is because it ain't broken. Besides I can't imagine someone abusing the car if I sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Great OP
2) For the Automatic trouble -
http://www.cityclutch.com/

Costs 45,000Rs.
Thank you svsantosh.
Did you just give my Zen another 5 years of life?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome Rational Dude!

I'm glad that you found my thread helpful. It's the principle I live by = Buy the best car you can in the budget and use it for a long time.

BUT, even though my thread encouraged you to wisely hold onto your car, 15 years is good enough. It's time for a change .
Wonderful to have you onboard!
Dear GTO,
Thanks a lot for letting me in. I would definitely look into buying a modern car with safety features.
Old 6th April 2015, 15:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
alpha1,
I'm a scientific person and all progress mankind made was due to science. When my daughter was born, the hospital gave a form to fill and there is a column to specify religion, I have filled it NO RELIGION. I was born into a semetic religion.
Ahh good, that means you won't support a fellow rationalist/scientist, simply because he is in that camp; it is the though process that matters not the person behind it.

Thank "goodness" there are such people ... I can understand the situation especially with the bit about the particular religion(s).
But then how do you manage to live among the sheep?

Are you also a skeptic?

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th April 2015 at 15:52.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
safety features.
Welcome mate- Incidentally enough, my grandfather was 1939 born, and has the tendency to use a *single* car for more than three decades- 'Tis a 1972 FIAT 1100D.

So, you say- 15 years? Nah- you have a lonnng way to go.

Great to have people like you here- Rationalists are threatened in various parts of our country. Many a time, I've been subjected to 'not-so-pleasant' looks, if I suggested someone not to rush to a quack (and visit that doc in a 5 star hospital- such as Fortis)

In fact, I know of instances where people living in (supposedly) 'posh' housing societies (a.k.a my very own neighbours) following superstitions to quite an extent. This MUST be eradicated- But let's discuss that later, shall we?

P.S: I'm a bit superstitious, you know. XD

Last edited by FINTAIL : 6th April 2015 at 20:01.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hope to catch you guys on the forum. Thanks for reading through.

Doc, What a write up and YAY - Another Investment and Finance geek ! Thanks for sharing that life story, very humble of you to speak of your family's origins despite having come a long way.

BTW, what a perfect handle for someone who invests in equities. Stocks ain't no place for those without a rationale or a sound framework.

I read the intelligent investor too and it has greatly helped me hone my investing skills, although I think it's a bit too old school for today's market.

I would love to discuss about Kerala based public companies with you. I invest quite a bit too and have made money thanks to the Modi rally in the markets.

The thing is I invest in companies where I know the management or have an idea of who the people are. Being a Telugu and Hyderabadi, my greatest skill is making money within the companies that are owned by other Telugus or Hyderabad based companies as I know them like the back of my hand.As we all know there are tonnes of shady promoters in the markets and buying shares of their enterprises would be close to gambling. So I never invest without looking at the owners of the companies. But the problem with this is your options are very few and select.

For people like me the only other options are big Indian names like Mahindra, Tata, Kotak, etc. But I would love to widen my radar so I have a greater map of Indian equities and the people who work to make their value go up, or go down.

Perhaps we can have a nice private chat about who the trustable guys in Kerala are ? I can divulge information about the big names from Andhra/Telangana that you can't go wrong with as far as finding the best promoters to put your money to work to in the form of buying shares of their businesses.

I know Kerala has several successful businessmen, and I'd love to side with them in their growth. I can shoot you a list of listed companies from my region and who you should pay attention to and who you should avoid. Vice-versa would be nice too ?!

Last edited by D33-PAC : 6th April 2015 at 20:39.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 22:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP, Rationalist, Its a pleasure to have you here. Excellent introductory write up, you write very well, and seem to be all heart.

Great to see that you've applied some of the advise and helped move along the path to financial independence. Being financially stable helps you in more ways than one can imagine.

The Zen is an awesome car, in its original avatar, and I wish you many more miles of safe driving in it. All the very best doctor.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 09:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Rationalist!

Lovely write up. Looking forward to your threads. Another wildlife enthusiast here.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 10:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful and engrossing write up there! I too have saved at least a couple millions by choosing Fiat cars for myself. Except a Palio SDX I bought as new(Dhamaka offer where OTR was as cheap as 2-3yr old Palio), rest of my Fiats have been used cars. Fiats have super low resale value and I used it to the best

Only issue is, I don't know where the millions are

Happy motoring and warm welcome to Team-Bhp!
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 10:54   #43
BHPian

A lovely introduction and what a great read. Welcome to Team-BHP and I'm sure you will have an awesome time here.

I still drive a 2003 Zen, which my grandfather gave me as I started working. I've driven cars and nothing brings a smile more than the zen does. Everytime I park it, I have to look back as I walk away. Your description of your experiences with the zen truly made my day ! A big thank you !
anand_lukose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 10:54   #44
BHPian

Wow, that was a refreshing read! Congratulations on the membership and welcome to the best thing that connects us all
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:22   #45
BHPian

Welcome aboard doc! Now, that was one lovely read. Must say I was touched to the core. I'm from Cochin too, we should catch up someday. I'd love to see your Zen too!
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread