Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2015, 13:47   #1

Default Hello from South Africa

My fellow BHPians,

This is Kashif from Bangalore, currently working in Johannesburg, South Africa. I am 36 years old. I am a Mechanical Engineer by training and work as a Service Delivery Manager with an ICT firm.

These are the vehicles that I have been afforded the privilege of driving:
>> My Dad's 2004 Maruti 800 AC - Still parked in my house in Bangalore. I will not sell this car ever and plan to modify it once I am back in Bangalore
>> Fiat Palio MJD SDX 2008 - First car that I bought. Lots and lots of unforgettable memories. Sold in 2013 before I moved to Jo'burg for the long-term (owned for 5.5 years)
>> Nissan Tiida Hatchback - My first car in South Africa and the most comfortable car that I have ever driven until now
>> Toyota Corolla - The most bland & tasteless car that I have ever driven. Really didn't understand why this car demands such high reviews. Worst driving experience for me
>> Chevrolet Spark - Used for 3 months only
>> Open Corsa Automatic hatchback - The best automatic car that I have driven so far. Very solidly built
>> Fiat Punto - It was like a seamless shift from the Palio almost as if I had not driven any other cars after having driven the Palio
>> Alfa Romeo 159 Automatic sedan - What a car, what a car !!! Loved every minute of driving it and loved everything about it right from the looks, the leather interiors, the butter-smooth engine, the brakes, the automatic climate control, the rain-sensing wipers, the automatic light-sensing headlights, the super enteratainment system, etc etc. Except the petrol consumption figures of 25 ltrs/100 km or in other words, a mileage of 4 kms/ltr !!!
>> Nissan Tiida Automatic sedan - Safe choice after the hectic adrenalin experience of the Alfa. Easiest car to drive. Loads and loads of space in the car and the boot
>> Toyota Yaris manual sedan - Gentle car with the right mix of frugality (petrol consumption, maintainance cost) and excitement (dash off from the traffic light, pick-up, incline ascent). Will live with it for some more time before the next car, hopefully a Honda Civic automatic sedan
>> Toyota Etios Liva hatchback - My in-laws' vehicle that I drive when I'm on vacation in Bangalore

I am very happy to have joined the august company of such enthusiasts and experts as Team-BHP. Hope to learn so much for all of you. And thank you for letting me be here :-)

- Kashif Baig
kashif_baig is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 19:45   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hello from South Africa

Welcome on board! Wishing you a lovely stay here.

Remember to go through the rules before posting.

Your lucky to have owned quite a few lovely cars. I'd really like an ownership review of the Alfa and the Tiida.
Also, mind sharing the mods planned for the 800?
Turbo_asd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 20:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
Welcome on board! Wishing you a lovely stay here.

Remember to go through the rules before posting.

Your lucky to have owned quite a few lovely cars. I'd really like an ownership review of the Alfa and the Tiida.
Also, mind sharing the mods planned for the 800?
Thank you for the warm welcome. I shall adhere to the forum rules at at all times.

I'm planning an extensive rejuvenation/ modification program for the M800 keeping a budget of around 1.5 lakhs initially with a further leeway of around Rs. 50k to rectify anything which might present itself after a couple of months of the upgrade.

These are some of the things that I plan to address off the top of my mind:

1. Complete Mechanical & Electrical overhaul - Engine, Gearbox, Differential, Suspension, AC, Wiring, etc
2. Tyre upgrade - Wider width tyres but on the original re-chromed rims
3. Painting - Same red shade
4. Power windows installation
5. Rear windshield washer/wiper installation
6. Upholstery - Leather seats, door pads and gear lever gaiter
7. Reverse parking sensor
8. Headlight lamps upgrade
9. Cleaning and if not possible, changing the headlights, rear lights and indicators as they are "fogged-up" with condensation
10. Steering wheel & gear lever knob upgrade
11. OVRMs upgrade to ones with integrated blinkers
12. Side sills
13. Remote fuel-lid opening mechanism
14. Remote boot opening mechanism
15. Once the above are done, I'm hoping of going through any others that may be suggested by you & the others who have trudged this same path earlier
kashif_baig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 14:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hello kashif_baig,

Welcome to the forum

It is heart-touching to see your love for your dad's M800. Do start a thread as and when you begin the overhaul process.

Quote:
5. Rear windshield washer/wiper installation
13. Remote fuel-lid opening mechanism
14. Remote boot opening mechanism
It will be particularly interesting to see these modifications, the reason being, none of the versions of the Maruti 800 came with these. It was only the Alto 1.1 vxi which had these. Will wait for your update to know whether it will be possible installing these or not.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 19:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Hello kashif_baig,

Welcome to the forum

It is heart-touching to see your love for your dad's M800. Do start a thread as and when you begin the overhaul process.

It will be particularly interesting to see these modifications, the reason being, none of the versions of the Maruti 800 came with these. It was only the Alto 1.1 vxi which had these. Will wait for your update to know whether it will be possible installing these or not.
Thank you S2 for your kind words. I intend to start off on the mods once I'm back in India around Aug-Sep timeframe this year.

For the above 3 mods, I have seen a post on another forum where this has been achieved by another M800 lover. I hope to try them out myself as a DIY mod and not through a mechanic.

I have added to the above list too with the following:
15. Interior Vinyl flooring
16. Chrome plated door dandle cover
17. Front armrest console
18. Chrome dicky (boot) beading
19. Chrome plated side beading
20. LED blinking bumper protector
21. Hella Dynaedge Wiper Blade, 17"
22. Recaro/Sparco mud-flaps
23. Tail lamp & indicator lights steel moulding
24. Brake boosters
25. Ignition key light ring