Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2015, 16:00   #1

Default Here I am

I am 30 and a lawyer by profession. Located in central Kerala. Have been really interested in mechanical and technical things since I was a kid. I generally love hunting for things not easily available. Sort of gives me a purpose. Stepped into the automobile field buying a rusted (yet running) Yezdi CL-II for Rs.2000 with my brother in 2001. Disassembled it to its last screw without any decent tools and irrecoverably ruined it in the process learning quite a bit about engines and motor vehicles in general.
First car to drive and own was a 1985 SS80. Learned driving in it.

Name:  SS80.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  113.1 KB

Upgraded later to a 1995 Tata Sierra and has been using it since last 10 years. Here he is:

Here I am-img_20150801_165908.jpg

An Alto 800 came and left in between. A die-hard fan of Sierra now though I doubt whether I would be able to hold on to him for long. We have managed to keep him unmolested (unmodified) and original as far as possible. I keep hunting for parts and stuff for it. There are plans for some DIY projects involving it. I am primarily here for discussions on Sierra.
Shreekz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:17   #2
BHPian

I have great memories of the Sierra from college days. Great vehicle to go touring in.

I remember when a drunk/speeding Maruti 800 driver crashed into the Sierra's rear end and totalled the car. The Sierra just had a few paint scratches.

We too hunted around for parts at the time, I remember we replaced the windscreen because it had become hazy due to age. Fun times.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:49   #3

Default Re: Here I am

Aha! Same stories with every Sierra owners! Lots of tiny scratches like that on the metal bumpers! And I'm seriously thinking about either getting the windshield a polishing (still figuring out its wisdom) or replacing it totally. Nice to meet another person with memories of the one and only, drsingh!
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hi Shreekz,

Welcome to Team-BHP. The SS80 and Tata Sierra are in my list of favourite Indian cars. I drove an SS80 for a while, but never owned a Sierra.

The Sierra was the only vehicle of its kind back then. Tata Motors should have worked on updated it from time to time and kept it in production.

Trust you have been through Team-BHP's posting rules.

See you on the forum.
Old 5th August 2015, 19:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome aboard Shreekz!

Amazing to see a Sierra that is still up and running! Though I bet it must have needed some amount of time and money investments! Curious to know what you plan to do with it.

By the way, that's a cool profile pic. Is it from some hiking trip?
Old 9th August 2015, 12:32   #6

@Aditya: Thanks! I have gone through the rules. You have put only minimum reasonable regulations. Will try my level best to abide by them.

@Amitoj: Thanks! And yes, it requires some regular investments. Keeps demanding one work or other all the time. However, ride and feel compensates everything. I fixed everything last week and suddenly power steering oil started leaking. Got to fix that. I'm planning to install a solar panel on its roof for powering a ventilator. The project is in teambhp's assembly line and I will finalize it soon.
Old 31st August 2015, 01:41   #7

@Amitoj: Sorry for the late reply. Had missed your question. The profile image is from a snow hike in the Gharwal Himalayas (2013).
Closed Thread