Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2016, 06:11   #1
BHPian

Post Hello BHPians!

Hello fellow BHPians,

I wish you all a happy and prosperous new year

I am Gopinath, 27 from Salem, Tamilnadu and now residing in Stuttgart, Germany. This is my first post in Team-BHP and I thank the moderators for approving my membership request.

About myself:
I am an Automotive Electronics Engineer working in the topic of Engine ECU algorithms development with a top automotive supplier company for the past 4 years initially in India and now in Germany and in between worked with one of the top 3 OEMs in Germany. I do not know whether it is a coincidence that I was born in a car, be passionate about automobiles and working with cars in my profession and I am feeling lucky for this. My primary interest is in technology especially in electronics, automobiles and telecommunication and other hobbies are music and reading books. I am a regular visitor (almost everyday) of Team-BHP and I thank the members of this community whose posts helped me a lot from making decisions about buying cars to solving niggles. Always my first pit stop is Team-BHP for automotive news updates, new car reviews, ownership reviews, maintenance tips and solution for niggles.

About my ride:
My first ride was Tata Sumo 1996 model. My house is located in a village and we had no other option but to buy Sumo which was one of the modern MPVs/SUVs in late 90's. We still own this car in the family. With 1,55,000 kms in odo it is still running as a family workhorse without any major mechanical issues in engine, suspension, etc. I do not even knew the model year of this car until when I took PUC for this car and the guy in the shop asked me the model year and then I was shocked to see that we own a 20 year old car!
My next ride was Yamaha FZ-S 2009 model. I bought this as a commuter for office but then it turned out to be a tourer. I used to go for weekend bike trips in groups frequently. It is one of the best motorbikes in its category and I still admire the riding position, dynamics and stability of this bike. Unfortunately I have to sell it when I moved to Germany but still I love to own a bike and go for bike trips and it is really a different experience to forget about everything to enjoy the ride in a bike.
My latest ride is Maruti Ertiga Diesel SHVS Vdi. Since it baecame difficult to drive Sumo in city traffic without power steering and A/C and due to frequent long distance airport trips, we planned to buy a MPV and had bought Maruti Ertiga last month. I have driven the first 1300 km and ran-in the engine as per Team-BHP advice. We are very much satisfied with Ertiga since we want a 5-seater with big boot most of the time and occasionally a 7-seater. I feel like driving a hatchback when driving Ertiga and it is very comfortable. I do not think there is any other MPV at this price point which can match Ertiga in terms of utility, driving comfort, maintenance and FE. I love the mild hybrid technology and it brings smile in my face whenever the green SHVS light comes on the instrument cluster.

Thanks for your patience for reading a long post and I look forward to contribute to Team-BHP at my best as per the Rules of this forum and of course to meet the fellow members whenever possible.

With best regards and wishes,
Gopinath
gopi_rm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 15:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hello BHPians!

Welcome Gopinath! Your intro is quite detailed , just like the threads of Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Stuttgart, Germany
Quote:
I am an Automotive Electronics Engineer working in the topic of Engine ECU algorithms development with a top automotive supplier company for the past 4 years initially in India and now in Germany and in between worked with one of the top 3 OEMs in Germany
Dream career for a car guy, eh! Congratulations. You've obviously worked hard & planned the route with perfection to get where you are.

What car do you drive in Stuttgart?

Hope to see you active in the Technical forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
My first ride was Tata Sumo 1996 model. My house is located in a village and we had no other option but to buy Sumo which was one of the modern MPVs/SUVs in late 90's. We still own this car in the family. With 1,55,000 kms in odo it is still running as a family workhorse without any major mechanical issues in engine, suspension, etc. I do not even knew the model year of this car until when I took PUC for this car and the guy in the shop asked me the model year and then I was shocked to see that we own a 20 year old car!
The Sumo was a true game changer. It alone made Tata the no.1 player in passenger MUVs and, unbelievably, was developed in a record 18 months. Tata takes longer for a facelift today :(. Sucks to see how Tata went from hero to zero in UVs and practically handed the segment to Mahindra on a silver platter.

I have fond memories of the Sumo. Used to love driving it around - felt so macho & truck like. I've even driven the Sumo 3.0 (with the Tata 407 engine).

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 15:22.
Old 9th January 2016, 22:08   #3
Zed
BHPian

willkommen bei T-Bhp! Nice to see a new member from this neck of the woods.
And that too from the automotive tier-1 fratenity. It guess this is a good cue to plan a t-bhp meet up in baden württemberg.
Old 10th January 2016, 01:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dream career for a car guy, eh! Congratulations. You've obviously worked hard & planned the route with perfection to get where you are.
Yes it is dream career and I did put in lot of effort to achieve it. I am passionate about it and learning new things everyday which is exciting.

Quote:
What car do you drive in Stuttgart?
I am yet to buy a car in Germany but the need came now so I started searching to buy a used car as it would be my first car in Germany. I will start a new thread about my buying experience soon!

Quote:
The Sumo was a true game changer. It alone made Tata the no.1 player in passenger MUVs and, unbelievably, was developed in a record 18 months. Tata takes longer for a facelift today :(. Sucks to see how Tata went from hero to zero in UVs and practically handed the segment to Mahindra on a silver platter.

I have fond memories of the Sumo. Used to love driving it around - felt so macho & truck like. I've even driven the Sumo 3.0 (with the Tata 407 engine).
Absolutely true GTO. Sumo and Safari made Tata the leader in UV segment those days but it could not retain it due its long and late product development cycles without proper updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
willkommen bei T-Bhp! Nice to see a new member from this neck of the woods.
And that too from the automotive tier-1 fratenity. It guess this is a good cue to plan a t-bhp meet up in baden württemberg.
Vielen Dank! Nice to see a fellow BHPian from Germany.
Yes of course I am looking forward for such a meet up.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2016 at 12:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Welcome Gopi and thanks for the nice introduction. You are one of the select few lucky guys who works in the same field as your hobby/passion !

My first ride in a Sumo was during a visit to a construction site in Jamnagar in the late-nineties, and I was extremely impressed how quiet and smooth the vehicle was, in-spite of being a diesel. Around that time, I used to own a Maruti Gypsy , which was smooth in terms of the engine/transmission, but the ride was pretty stiff and bouncy. The Sumo was way ahead of the other diesel vehicles that we were around - such as the Mahindra Jeeps (the word SUV was just being introduced in the country) and I was tempted to buy a Sumo as a replacement for my Gypsy.

Congrats on the Ertiga SVHS and was curious to know about the mileage it gives.

Regards
Old 11th January 2016, 23:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Welcome Gopi and thanks for the nice introduction. You are one of the select few lucky guys who works in the same field as your hobby/passion !

My first ride in a Sumo was during a visit to a construction site in Jamnagar in the late-nineties, and I was extremely impressed how quiet and smooth the vehicle was, in-spite of being a diesel. Around that time, I used to own a Maruti Gypsy , which was smooth in terms of the engine/transmission, but the ride was pretty stiff and bouncy. The Sumo was way ahead of the other diesel vehicles that we were around - such as the Mahindra Jeeps (the word SUV was just being introduced in the country) and I was tempted to buy a Sumo as a replacement for my Gypsy.
Thank you. As you said, Sumo is one of the modern UVs during that time and even still the ride quality is good in broken roads. We have planned not to sell it since all the mechanicals are in top condition

Quote:
Congrats on the Ertiga SVHS and was curious to know about the mileage it gives.

Regards
With 1500 kms in odo, the current average FE is 19 kmpl (calculated using tankful to tankful method) in mixed driving conditions (city+highway+rural roads). I hope it will increase with increase in odo mileage due to various ECU adaptions and less friction once all the mechanical components ran-in.
Closed Thread