Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 31st July 2016, 16:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Greetings from Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
Ah! You'd have been OK ...
Was there for the first fifty-three years of my life. My final decade or two were spent in the Manor-Park/Forest-Gate area of East London.

But India is home, now, and UK is strange.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st July 2016 at 16:58.
Old 31st July 2016, 17:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Was there for the first fifty-three years of my life. My final decade or two were spent in the Manor-Park/Forest-Gate area of East London.

But India is home, now, and UK is strange.
You must have seen the UK go through many changes, some for better, some for worse.

I stay in Greenwich in the week but my home is Northampton.

I love and hate London in equal measure. Some days it seems like the greatest city in the world, other days the place just makes you mad!
Old 1st August 2016, 12:50   #18
BHPian

Rob - Welcome to Team Bhp. I hope you will have a lovely time here. Please share few of your stories along with photographs.

You will find may bhpians who have stayed and drove around the UK. I usually visit UK once in every year. Have stayed in Ipswich, London, Cardiff etc etc places. Have driven to almost every places possible in the UK. I too admit driving is very safe in your country as long as you are following all the rules. And may be someday everyone will follow such rules in India too
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 15:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
Hi BHPians, I am Rob from the UK. I am 38 and work as a consultant in the banking industry. I split my time between home in the middle of England and London where I work. Although I am a suit and tie guy in the week, I enjoy working on cars and bikes at weekends.

My current motley collection of vehicles includes:

2010 Lexus GS450h (daily car)
2006 Toyota MR2 (weekend car)
1999 Honda VFR800 (regular bike)
1989 Honda XBR500 (sunny day bike)
1987 Nissan Laurel (project car - put back on the road once but now needs more work)
1980 Honda C90 Super Cub (project bike)
1985 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (in storage)

I have always been a petrol head. As a small boy of 3, I had a pedal car which I could skid by stamping on the pedals. My father had to rivet the steering back together often due to my exuberance, and nothing much has changed!

So, as a non-Indian living in the UK, why have I joined Team BHP? It is simple. As I travelled around in your great country it came to me that one day, I must ride there overland from the UK, or back to the UK from India. This has become my dream trip. It won't happen any time soon but one day! I often read this site to learn more about riding and driving in India, and it would be nice to join in now and then.
Welcome to the Team, Rob.

My introduction to the car was also at a young age of 5 and I was lucky to spend much of my time in our my dad's automobile workshop. The cars we owned were mainly from England:
Standard-8 (1939), Rover-12 (1945), Hillman Minx (1950) which were all pretty old technology, but great at that time - and now vintage, no more with us.
Your current collection is awesome and so are the pics. I have driven quite a bit in the UK, but you deserve the adventurer's award for having the courage to drive in India.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 15:15   #20
BHPian

For those asking for an ownership thread... I wrote one yesterday on my VFR which has been added to the superbikes section by the moderators.

I will write one for one of the roadworthy cars next when I get time - which is the more interesting ride for you guys, the Lexus or the Toyota?
Closed Thread