Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2016, 18:17   #1

Smile Glad to be part of this community

Hi,

My name is Ashish, settled in Bangalore from past 8 yrs. I own a Honda City and an Amaze, both petrol models. I have been following Team-BHP since 2012, when I was about to purchase my first car.
I love doing road trips (once in every two months), exploring new places, tracking the Indian car market (few segments that I keep a close watch on include C2, SUV, and D1).
My favorite car: Honda City iVtec; Car that I aspire for: Range Rover Evoque.
I look forward to learning more from this forum and also returning the favor in terms of informative and experienced-filled threads/posts.

Cheers and keep revving...
Ashish0485 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Glad to be part of this community

Welcome Ashish! It's great to have you with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish0485 View Post
I own a Honda City and an Amaze, both petrol models. I have been following Team-BHP since 2012, when I was about to purchase my first car.
Congratulations. First car in 2012 and already bought another one by 2016. Didn't feel like getting a little variety for the 2nd - no other brands considered for the second car?

Quote:
tracking the Indian car market (few segments that I keep a close watch on include C2, SUV, and D1).
Nice. I am obsessed with the mass market segment and track everything up to & including the D2 segment closely (hatchbacks, sedans, MUVs, you name it). However, the segments above 20 lakhs don't interest me at all. I'd rather spend an hour reading about Tata's new hatchback than a new Porsche SUV (just as an example). Even when it comes to official reviews, I'll happily spend 15 days working on a C2 sedan review...but I don't remember the last time I spent anytime at all on a luxury car's official review.

Luxury cars are boring to read about, but fun to drive .

Quote:
I love doing road trips (once in every two months), exploring new places...also returning the favor in terms of informative and experienced-filled threads/posts.
Look forward to your posts and perhaps, a travelogue or two as well .
Old 9th August 2016, 14:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome Ashish! It's great to have you with us.

Congratulations. First car in 2012 and already bought another one by 2016. Didn't feel like getting a little variety for the 2nd - no other brands considered for the second car?
Hi GTO,

My first car was Swift Vxi (bought in 2012), which I sold recently. Second car was Honda Amaze (bought in 2014) and third Honda City (bought in June 2016). I didn't mention about Swift as I don't own it anymore. I am bit of an impulsive buyer and seller.

Back home (in Bhopal), we also have a Jetta and a Gypsy (owned by Parents).

Last edited by manson : 9th August 2016 at 14:35. Reason: Fixed quote.
Ashish0485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 15:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish0485 View Post
Hi GTO,

Back home (in Bhopal), we also have a Jetta and a Gypsy (owned by Parents).
Welcome Ashish and hope you are missing, both, the Gypsy and the Jetta - each one has its unique character. You can't be wrong with a Honda, but I am curious to know what drove the decision for the City after the Amaze?

Keep posting !
Old 10th August 2016, 20:12   #5

Glad to e-meet you too,
Let me set the context first. So, Honda City was a car that I wanted to own since 1998 (I was 13 yrs at that time), when the first gen Honda City (Some call it even third gen) arrived in the Indian scene. That time, it was just the looks that inspired me but as I started gaining more information about the vehicle, it made it even more enticing. Right now, there are many cars in India that are at par or above par compared to the City. However, in the early 2000s, it was hard to imagine a car with that kind of wheel base, road presence, comfort, splendid vtec engine, acres of rear leg room, electric steering so on and so forth. Obviously, the Mercedes and BMWs have always been there but I am talking about an aspirational car for an upper middle class Indian buyer.
I started earning in 2010 (after completing my MBA) and after two years thought of buying my own car in Bangalore. So, the first car that came to mind was Honda City but it was far beyond my budget at that time.

In 2014, my baby angel was born. Now, there was a practical challenge with using the Swift as our family car (especially for road trips). The boot of the swift can either accommodate her stroller or the luggage. So, there was a need felt for a sedan. Additionally, we also felt need of another car as my wife would be carrying my daughter and dropping her to the daycare, on her way to work. She previously use to commute on her Activa which was now out of question. So, again the first thought that came to mind was to buy a Honda City but again that could only have been possible if I would have sold the Swift as I didn't wanted to spend a lot on down payment. But the decision was to keep two cars. So, came the question what are the leading entry level sedans available. The answer was Swift Dzire and others. But as we already owned the Swift, we decided to go for a little variety and looked at other options. The other options considered were Amaze and Xcent. Now, Out of these two, my wife liked the Amaze more. So, Amaze it was.
Now, in 2016, I felt a need to upgrade my Swift and here again the same first thought came to mind, go for 'Honda City'. However, I was aware that there are other cars available in this segment. My primary requirement was to buy a petrol vehicle (considering the increasing proximity between petrol and diesel prices) + my running which is less than 1,500 kms/month. So, cars considered were Honda City, VW Vento, Hyundai Verna (didn't consider Maruti Ciaz as I think it has everything working for it other than the engine under the hood, which is a big turn off). After taking the TD of the three vehicles, eliminated Hyundai Verna after the test drive. It just felt lifeless and no steering feedback at all. Out of Vento and Honda City, to be honest I liked driving the Vento more; a function of my sitting position, steering feedback, engine peppiness, and overall control. However, other than this everything else worked in favor of the Honda City -- more space, comfortable 3 rear passengers sitting, cozy rear seats, more leg room, refined engine, better ASS, more modern looking interiors, higher fuel efficiency and the list continues...So, decided on the Honda City.
Reliability wise, I'd rate the Swift to be better than Honda. In first 2 months of my ownership, there have been multiple issues that have popped up. Owing to which, I had to give it for an early second service as well. The issues include rattling noise, braking issue (>100 kms speeds), auto function of the climate control not functioning, scratches formed on the display screen of the ICE and AC control. Could you believe that a dent was formed on the running board of the car as a small stone hit it at high speed (Hilarious). The sheet material is too thin for comfort.
Ashish0485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread