Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 28th September 2016, 23:43   #1

Thumbs up Love automobiles? Blame your genes! I certainly do

Greetings to all enthusiasts!

(Warning: Long post ahead.)

Team-BHP has attained a legendary status in the field of automotive forums and not without just cause. It has is (IMO) the best forum for all motoring enthusiasts to meet and discuss all things important in life, especially if they revolve around a pair of wheels or two.

Like many, I have taken joy in vicariously experiencing adventures on wheels, both on and off the roads. I felt it was high time I started thanking the ones who share their amazing experiences with all of us.

Without meaning to demean the Lady enthusiasts, I strongly believe that love for automotive comes strongly embedded in Y Chromosomes. What other reason can there be for the widespread fascination of boys with wheeled toys, irrespective of their age?!

I have always been in love of bikes, cars and planes. Sheer speed was never as important a factor as the visual appeal, the "aura" emanating from the sleek machines. I love an Enfield Bullet over a Harley, a Kawasaki Z800 over the 'Busa and F-14D over the F-35 jet.

As a kid, I loved the Gypsy, especially those of the armed forces. In their dark military green shade or the sedate blue of the Air Force, the vehicles seemed omnipotent to my eyes. I would often look out of moving trains and buses and imagine riding one over the varying terrain, off-roading sans any and all practical limitations. The Gypsy remained a favourite for several years, even after a couple less than comfortable rides on school outings to Army posts on excursions.

And then I saw the Mitsubishi Pajero SFX up close and it blew me away. Some call it boxy, some call it bulky but it was just perfect for my eyes. It's been a decade since that revelation clad moment and I still can't think of any other SUV I'd rather own. Not a Q7, not G-Wagon and not even a Range Rover Autobiography edition, however much I like that car.

I had a dream of acquiring a Pajero SFX as soon as I could earn rights to its ownership apart from financial feasibility. The launch of the Pajero Sport shattered my dreams of buying one off the showrooms. I hope to get my hands on a pre-worshipped (God, I love that term over 'second-hand'!!) specimen and customise it along the lines of the amazing job by Tejas Sir on T-BHP.

My Dad has Kawasaki Bajaj Caliber Croma and I now ride an Apache RTR 160. As to the car we own, we have a Tata Nano LX that is nigh on a decade old. It is a 2009 model and the third one in Bangalore. My Dad bought it as a surprise and boy did it deliver on the surprise. My Mom and I didn't much care for it's tiny looks and more so because of the terrible Tata reputation. If consulted, I would have pushed for a used Swift or Santro Xing at the very least but then, I wasn't.

The Nano, with it's wide happy smiling facia has grown on all of us in an unbelievable manner though! The car is peppy (upto 50 Kmph with 2 or 3 occupants) and has a super small footprint. I zip around the congested traffic of Bangalore without a worry and the parking is hassle-free, at least space wise. The (power?) steering feels mighty hard only when stationary and turns great rest of the time. The mileage doesn't hurt and the cabin space, according to my parents, is better than Swift Dzire my cousin owns. As far as sheer driving pleasure goes, Nano delivers, at least when you are restricted to under 60 Kmph by traffic. Love automobiles? Blame your genes! I certainly do-13734870_10153832522007643_5506259237355862809_o.jpg

Over the years, I have driven several cars including Swift, WagonR, Scorpio, Bolero, Maruti 800, Ritz, Dzire and a very special Premier Padmini. Few cars provide as much thrill as the body roll laden Nano!

As should be quite evident by my (overly?) long post, I like reading and occasional writing. I dabble in amateur photography as well. I am pursuing my CS from ICSI and am partway through the finals. After a couple years of working in a CS/Legal firm, am in pursuit of a vocation that allows me to enjoy my vacations.

Look forward to (virtually) meeting you all!

Regards,
Gautham

PS: Sorry for the long post, but hey, no one-liners allowed, right?

Last edited by bblost : 29th September 2016 at 00:15. Reason: Removed an extra smiley. Please note no more than 2 per post.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 00:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Love automobiles? Blame your genes! I certainly do

Kind of reminded me of my 3 year old son who started screaming and then begging the other day asking me to let him drive the car.

I like the way you have edited that picture. Looks very nice.

Welcome aboard. Have fun.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 02:20   #3
BHPian

Default re: Love automobiles? Blame your genes! I certainly do

Welcome mate!

Wish you a warm stay here. By the way, I cranked the engine of my father's Ambassador when I was 2 years old. At that age I didn't even know how to speak and walk properly!

Best regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 08:41   #4

Default Re: Love automobiles? Blame your genes! I certainly do

Thanks!

When it comes to unauthorised cranking, I remember turning the key on a Matador that was my school van. The driver was dozing while we waited for some others and had one rude awakening to the sound of the engine turning over! I happened to be about 4 or 5 years and was maybe the reason wasn't spanked.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 19:32   #5
BHPian

Welcome to Team Bhp! Your intro is more than enough for us to understand how much you love cars! Must say you are at the right place buddy. From yesterday i was reading few introduction posts in Team Bhp and must say yours is one of the best and most interesting write up. Loved reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
When it comes to unauthorised cranking, I remember turning the key on a Matador that was my school van. The driver was dozing while we waited for some others and had one rude awakening to the sound of the engine turning over! I happened to be about 4 or 5 years and was maybe the reason wasn't spanked.
For me it was at the age of 4 too! I cranked my dad's 1100D !

Last edited by Samba : 6th October 2016 at 19:34.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 23:32   #6

Thank you @Samba!

About my enthusiasm for all things automotive, I guess it takes one to know one!
Thank you for your kind words.

I see that you are an avid photographer apart from an automobile enthusiast. My first reaction on visiting your website as the beach picture came up was, "Wo..w...". Then came the macro shot followed by the brilliant "Pan-shot" of the chariot. The contrast of unmoving wheels with the frenetically moving horses took my breath away!

You certainly seem to explore different genres of photography, from Landscapes to Macros, Portraits to Pan-shots and even covering events. I guess you will be seeing a few notifications from me every time you post such good stuff on the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome again!

Regards,
Gautham

PS: Age might vary but am sure most of the members here have similar memories of unauthorised attempts to take control of the machines they love!
Closed Thread