Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2017, 07:33   #1
BHPian

Default Anything outdoors!!

Hi all

I apologise for introducing myself so late.

I have myriad interests. I love anything on wheels and anything to do with the outdoors. I am an adventure junkie. Hiking, photography, you name it - I do it!

I regularly cycle, use my motorcycles and my cars. I am licensed to drive heavy vehicles and have driven buses also. I maintain my vehicles myself, very rarely allowing my helpers to clean them. I have a very diverse collection of bikes and cars, all of them in pristine condition. I have a 1994 Shogun which still looks almost new, a 2005 petrol Innova, a Ford Figo (old one with fantastic handling), a Harley-Davidson Street 750 and have just bought an Isuzu Dmax Vcross. I learnt driving on an Ambassador, graduated to a Maruti Van, used to maintain an MM 540, drove a Matador F305 and F307 and fully agree that a good driver is far superior to any mechanical aids a vehicle may have.

I divide my time between Rajasthan and Uttarakhand and so have access to some of the nicest driving areas in the country. My vehicles have been chosen accordingly. I had been reading the Team-BHP forums for a long time and felt that I had things to contribute and also realised that this is the only place where I can get to exchange views with like-minded auto nuts!

I grew up in those times when Premier Padmini and Hindustan Ambassador were the main cars available. Only a few people were interested in the Standard Gazelles, etc. Mahindra jeeps had 3 gears and were extremely uncomfortable. Then Maruti came and it was a different experience altogether to drive a Maruti Van.

I had the first issue of The Indian Auto Journal till a few years back which got misplaced during shifting.

I was taught driving by my father. The bench seat of an Ambassador is a very good place to start learning driving. My father would let me handle the steering wheel. Then once he judged that I could negotiate turns and reversing, he taught me how to use the gear and clutch. He only allowed me to drive myself after I turned 16 and that too on private roads.
After I started using my own two-wheeler when i got my license, he insisted that I first get a full-face helmet. This was 30 years back! He was a fast driver and always emphasised the fact that rash driving at any speed is more dangerous than fast driving done under control. So, I grew up in an atmosphere where your father taught you driving and also the nitty-gritties of maintaining a car. He used to drive a Haflinger before I was born and used to talk about rear and front differential locks and how Mahindra jeeps could not even come close to the abilities of a Haflinger. (We went to buy one in a good condition from a Tibetan gentleman from Delhi, which is another story by itself). I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that our family is from Bombay, the only city in India where road manners are practised and the original auto-nuts, the Bawas, live!

I wish more parents nowadays teach their children driving techniques and safety norms before indulging them with brand-new vehicles. It shall really help in bringing down road fatalities in the country.

Happy motoring to all BHPians!!
Alfresco is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 09:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Anything outdoors!!

Welcome Alfresco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
I have myriad interests. I love anything on wheels and anything to do with the outdoors. I am an adventure junkie. Hiking, photography, you name it - I do it!
After reading this, I scrolled down on your post to see what cars you own and was happy to see this...

Quote:
have just bought an Isuzu Dmax Vcross
What a sexy pickup ! Congrats.

Quote:
I am licensed to drive heavy vehicles and have driven buses also
Sweet! We have some lovely threads in the commercial vehicle forum. Hope to see you there.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 10:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Alfresco. That was a wonderful intro. Welcome to the forum. Please share the wealth of knowledge you have with the forum. Am sure you have a lot of interesting tales to tell.

Looking forward to a bus review too.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What a sexy pickup ! Congrats.
I think a lot of people were in the same predicament as me - between Thar and Gypsy. Lots of pros and cons for both. Neither suited me as a whole package as I wanted every day usability also. The Vcross does not tick all the boxes but comes close to being a perfect package. My MM540 experience could never let me be convinced about Thar and vis-a-vis Gypsy, though a great dedicated off-roader, zero creature comforts is something you cannot live with nowadays.

I think the Grand Vitara would also have been a good package, if priced below 20L OTR.
Alfresco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 14:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hello Alfresco. That was a wonderful intro. Welcome to the forum. Please share the wealth of knowledge you have with the forum. Am sure you have a lot of interesting tales to tell.

Looking forward to a bus review too.
Growing up in the times when you could get down and dirty with the mechanics does take your knowledge level above average!

I still love hanging around to see how things are being done. I caught a lot of desi lingo also that mechanics used. Not everybody here can understand the phrase "Cycle ke kutte fail ho gaye !

I don't know about 'wealth' of knowledge. I think we had no choice when we had to make cross-country trips in a Mark II Ambassador in the pre-Maruti era. Because of that experience, I know what 'reliability' means and am put-off whenever I read about quality control and ASS issues with automobiles.
Closed Thread