Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2017, 19:40   #1
BHPian

Default Brother of a BHPian!

Hello friends,

"Introduce yourself" is probably the most asked and oft answered question in career interviews. Way back in 2006, while attempting to land my first job, I was asked the same and I remember answering it confidently- the confidence of a rookie who thinks he can conquer the world.

A decade down the lane, having realised why and how even Alexander the Great couldn't legitimately claim himself to be the emperor of the world, I am trying to answer the same question once again.

I reside in the small but extremely beautiful town of Chikkamagaluru. While many of you plan long trips during weekends or holidays to enjoy Malenadu, I have soothingly fresh air for breakfast, greenest of the green mountain peaks for lunch, reserve forests and dense vegetation for dinner. At coffee time, I of course enjoy the aromatic and refreshing coffee made out of locally produced beans. Every day is a Coffee Day(pun intended) for me.

I teach at a Government college; have been doing it for the past 6 years. I became a teacher by choice and hence am very happy with my profession. Reading is my poison and I must admit that of late, this forum has been guilty of poisoning me quite a bit. I play table tennis occasionally and am an aspiring gardener. I am the second bhpian of our family. My brother has been a member since February 2015-the brother whom we welcomed home on 29/12/2010, barely three months after I myself became a father !

Please don't get any wrong ideas. With the moral support of my parents and better half, a DD from SBI and truthfully the last rupee from my pocket, I adopted him 6 years ago. When he was four, an age when normal kids join LKG, my brother took fancy to an addictive site, ordered some stickers from there, pasted them on himself and became a self proclaimed bhpian. While I call him my brother, the world outside identifies him as Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo-Lxi.

At various points of time, we have had a BSA bicycle, a TVS Champ, an LML Vespa, Hero Honda Splendor, Bajaj Chetak, Kinetic Honda 4S, Honda Activa and Bajaj Discover as our rides. My current daily drive is the Estilo. I am planning to buy a bicycle soon-to lessen my own weight and thereby lighten the load on mother earth.

Team-bhp has been my window to the outside world for the last couple of years. I am really glad to be part of the esteemed forum and hope to make constructive and consistent contributions in the future. I am not a passionate driver; I drive because I have to, daily. Hence my handle. However, I love automobiles-they are an integral part of my life. Hence Team-bhp.

Thank you moderators for letting me in and thank you innumerable bhpians who inspired me to want to get in.

Last edited by ampere : 12th February 2017 at 19:49. Reason: Formatted for readibilty
dailydriver is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 10:21   #2
BHPian

Default re: Brother of a BHPian!

"Goood maaarning Sir". This is how we used to greet our teacher every morning.

Very interesting intro! I had to really read twice to understand 'your brother'.

"Teacher out of choice" is a rare commodity. May your tribe increase!!

And, welcome to TBhp!
shifu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 11:52   #3
BHPian

Lovely story and welcome to Team-BHP, I myself being a very new member

No matter what, if we drive for passion, or we drive to get from point A to point B, automobiles connect us all here and is the driving force behind everything.
rshnvjy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
"Goood maaarning Sir". This is how we used to greet our teacher every morning.
The kids these days barely manage to stand up and acknowledge the teacher, let alone greet him. I, therefore, make it a point to wish them good morning myself!

Quote:
Very interesting intro! I had to really read twice to understand 'your brother'.

Quote:
"Teacher out of choice" is a rare commodity.
It is indeed a rarity these days.

Quote:
May your tribe increase!!
I wish the same.

Quote:
And, welcome to TBhp!
Thank you very much.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Welcome aboard sir!

Let me start by saying that I envy you , all thanks to the fact that you stay in chikkamagaluru. A beautiful place indeed.

Very rarely that we see someone taking teaching up as a profession or passion as I like to put it. Many fail to realise that we need good teachers apart from young talent in India.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum soon.

Regards,
Vishy76
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP and this intro was very catchy. I first assumed you to be the brother of someone I know Chikkamagaluru is the town where my dad did some of his schooling as well as his engineering and we are regular visitors there. Since my uncle stays there, we make frequent visits over weekends and am planning to spend more time there. Forget the touristy places, still it is a region where you really forget threads like 'Rants on Bangalore traffic' etc and actually enjoy nature.

Lets have a meet in Chikkamagaluru sometime, since there is a growing tribe of Bhpians from or close to there and enjoy those roads and Masala Dosa in Town canteen

Welcome to the forum and have a great time here!
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 12:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Guten tag. I am sure you know a lot about the forum. Welcome and look forward to useful interactions and contributions from you.

May I suggest you monitor the style/trend before getting active in a big way. Please keep posting, since it will get you through your probation period. I know posting on something which is active, with a 'wait' period is a pain, but you have to live with it.

Welcome once again.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 13:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Welcome aboard sir!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Welcome to TBHP and this intro was very catchy. I first assumed you to be the brother of someone i knew.
In a way, we are all brothers on the forum, aren't we?
Quote:
Forget the touristy places, still it is a region where you really forget threads like 'Rants on Bangalore traffic' etc and actually enjoy nature.
I was in Bangalore for six years. I can completely relate to your feeling. These days, especially on weekends, Chikkamagaluru too experiences traffic snarls, thanks to Bengalureans .
Quote:
Lets have a meet in Chikkamagaluru sometime, since there is a growing tribe of Bhpians from or close to there and enjoy those roads and Masala Dosa in Town canteen
Sure.Town Canteen is passť now, specially for locals. I will treat you guys to better butter dosas.
Quote:
Welcome to the forum and have a great time here!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Guten tag. I am sure you know a lot about the forum. Welcome and look forward to useful interactions and contributions from you.
Sir, I have seen you encourage many newbies. Thanks for your kind words.
Quote:
May I suggest you monitor the style/trend before getting active in a big way. Please keep posting, since it will get you through your probation period. I know posting on something which is active, with a 'wait' period is a pain, but you have to live with it. Welcome once again.
Sure. I will do both.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 14:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
No matter what, if we drive for passion, or we drive to get from point A to point B, automobiles connect us all here and is the driving force behind everything.
Well said. But for our love of automobiles, we couldn't have seen such an eclectic group of individuals getting together in this space. Thanks for welcoming me.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 17:10   #10
Zed
BHPian

Welcome to the forum!
I cant recall if it was Henry ford or Lee Iacocca that said that in a rational world, the best of us would be teachers, the rest would have to settle for something less. One of my best friends gave up a lucrative corporate career to pursue his passion for teaching. I take my hat off to you for choosing this noble profession. And wish you a great time at team-BHP
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 18:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Welcome to the forum!
I cant recall if it was Henry ford or Lee Iacocca that said that in a rational world, the best of us would be teachers, the rest would have to settle for something less. One of my best friends gave up a lucrative corporate career to pursue his passion for teaching. I take my hat off to you for choosing this noble profession. And wish you a great time at team-BHP
Thank you. It was indeed Lee lacocca. I firmly believe that a teacher should always be a student. Team-bhp has taught me a lot of things; things that I have passed on to my students. My compliments to your friend for his bold move and to you for acknowledging and appreciating it.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:24   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Brother of a BHPian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Hello friends,

"Introduce yourself" is probably the most asked and oft answered question in career interviews. Way back in 2006,
Welcome Dear Poet to the Team BHP world.

Your Introduction is Very Poetic and deserves to be studied RATHER than Read ! !

I love teachers (Especially, Language Teachers)for the same reason. The way they open up a discussion in a poetic way always inspires me.

When I read this introduction, I remembered my High School Kannada Teacher (N R Eshwaraiah).

When he entered the class, he used to start discussion with a highly unrelated topic and we all students used to have a debate on which chapter is he going to teach today.

He used to link the topics after topics and bring the link finally to one chapter(Usually he used to teach chapters at random. Not sequentially)

Your style of writing just resembles his way of teaching !! Are you, by any chance, NRE's Student? Are you Kannada Teacher ?

And last but not least, Thanks for making me remember my Teacher
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Brother of a BHPian!

Welcome aboard Dailydriver - Always happy to see someone from the Land of Coffee - A fellow BHPian from my own countryside!

And should I narrate that instance here now that you are a BHPian finally?

Quote:
If I recall, it was some time last year during one of those regular visits to Chikkamagaluru. I had parked my Ertiga opposite to Town Canteen facing the compound wall of the Govt. Diploma College.

After relishing the Dosas, I was walking back towards my car and then I hear someone calling walking towards me and asking me "Are you Parag Sachania?".

The face wasn't of someone I could recollect - Didn't look like my School mate or my Engineering Classmate too.

Then the Gentleman says I certainly wont know him but he knows me - Then I ask how, and he says he follows my write-ups on Team-BHP and recognized me from my Ertiga parked there and was waiting for me.

That was perhaps a very humble moment for me and I learnt that he wasn't a BHPian yet but follows the forum very closely.

We exchanged our numbers but never interacted after that. And then I get a WhatsApp message 2 days back sharing this news that he has finally made it to the forum as a member
Trust me, I had forgotten to save his number but his message to me helped me recall who this gentleman was. Won't mind sharing the screenshot of that message here:

Brother of a BHPian!-screenshot_20170213114039.png

See you around mate!

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th February 2017 at 11:46.
paragsachania is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Welcome Dear Poet to the Team BHP world. Your Introduction is Very Poetic and deserves to be studied RATHER than Read ! !
Extremely humbled by your response. I do read poetry extensively, but can't write a single line of verse-even at gun point .
Quote:
And last but not least, Thanks for making me remember my Teacher
Teachers are like that-you can love them or hate them, but you can never ignore them. Good or bad, you remember them for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Welcome aboard Dailydriver - Always happy to see someone from the Land of Coffee - A fellow BHPian from my own countryside!
Thanks. You have been an inspiration to me.

Quote:
And should I narrate that instance here now that you are a BHPian finally?
As you can see, the place where you parked your car that day is home to innumerable cars day in and day out-courtesy the Town Canteen.

I keep scanning for team-bhp stickers on bumpers. When I see one (I do find them a lot), I try to look for signs of a dash camera; for a lot of cars sport the stickers these days and dash camera is a distinguisher. I then try to match the cars to their owners/team-bhp handles.

That was one such day. The only difference was that I waited for and spoke to you.

And, your question about my membership subconsciously lingered in my mind and acted as a trigger now.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th February 2017 at 20:31. Reason: Posts merged on request.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread