Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2017, 20:33   #1

Thumbs up Hello All!

Hi I'm Kumar, I've spent most of my life in England but have now decided to take it easy and hence retired to Goa to live the easy life.

I enjoy driving and have been driving for over 35 years. Had all sorts of Cars over the years either owned or company provided ones - from high performance cars, basics cars and also luxury ones too.

My current Car is a brand new Swift ZDi - igets me around, its comfortable, easy to park and very economical. Swift serves my purpose for now but eventually plan to get a mini-SUV when some thing worthwhile gets launched. Also on the look out for a e-bike for nipping down to the beach and going to the local shops (would welcome any recommendations from owners).

Left UK last year and had to let go of the one Car I really loved my MK IV VW Golf GT TDi, owned it for 11 years did 100,000 miles and never ever let me down once, never had to replace any major part, car was quick, comfortable and solidly built. I genuinely felt sad when I sold it to move to India.

Before that I literally had "The Beast " a Subaru Impeza 2000AWD Turbo. 220BHP Boxter engine, permanent 50/50 4 wheel drive. 0-60 mph in 6 secs! Could overtake and maneuver at extra-ordinary speeds. Once hit 145MPH! - one can see the fuel gauge needle move down in real time when you reach that speed! Had a lot of fun in this car but in the end was glad to move on, too uncomfortable for long journeys got bored of others trying to race me all the time. Got so good at controlling this monster after 2 years it was plain futile for anyone to try it on with me.

OK enough ranting for now hope to interact with fellow forum members on Cars, Travel, Hiking, Music and many other subjects
Kumar101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 21:14   #2

Default Re: Hello All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar101 View Post
Before that I literally had "The Beast " a Subaru Impeza 2000AWD Turbo. 220BHP Boxter engine, permanent 50/50 4 wheel drive. 0-60 mph in 6 secs! Could overtake and maneuver at extra-ordinary speeds. Once hit 145MPH! - one can see the fuel gauge needle move down in real time when you reach that speed! Had a lot of fun in this car but in the end was glad to move on, too uncomfortable for long journeys got bored of others trying to race me all the time. Got so good at controlling this monster after 2 years it was plain futile for anyone to try it on with me.
That's my dream car right there. consider yourself lucky to get hands on one.
welcome to the forum btw.
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 21:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi I'm Kumar...
Welcome aboard Kumar101. You started driving even before some of us were born!

VW GT TDi, Subaru Impeza and Swift Zdi - interesting range of cars. Do share your experiences with these steeds.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 21:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
That's my dream car right there. consider yourself lucky to get hands on one.
welcome to the forum btw.
Yes they are extraordinary cars most successful rally car ever made and the road version was more or less the same as as the racing one. Now in my mature years I think back on the way I drove this it seems pretty surreal its as if I'm watching movie in permanent fast forward when reminisce and replay some the those driving moments in my head.

The other Car I had a lot of fun with was Ford Sierra Sports which my Company gave me brand new one in the mid 80's one model down from the legendary Sierra Cosworth(google it). V quick and very comfortable and in those days there were no speed cameras and roads not congested so a lot of fun to drive around.

Last edited by Kumar101 : 8th March 2017 at 22:18.
Kumar101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 21:55   #5
BHPian

Welcome sir, a great car and then a lazy life in Goa. A dream come true for many I guess. Welcome aboard
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 22:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Welcome aboard Kumar101. You started driving even before some of us were born!

VW GT TDi, Subaru Impeza and Swift Zdi - interesting range of cars. Do share your experiences with these steeds.
Thanks fro the warm welcome.

Swift ZDi - is nice little car but the build quality is suspect I drove a 2 year old one for a bit before getting this and it was shake, rattle and roll. I did consider getting a Polo but the VW dealerships here GOA are dodgy none seem to last too long; they keep closing down and another pops up eventually. For me Swift was a safe bet but was very frustrating having to wait 4 months for basic car .

VW Golf a Car that has it all - speed, comfort, practicality(can fill loads of stuff with the seats flattened at the back, has all the mod cons, fantastic build quality the 1.9 Ti engine can run and run for years. They are one of the most popular cars to own in Europe and I hope the Golf eventually gets made India. One thing I don't understand why mid sized Hatchbacks are not made here in India many good ones are available like the Honda Civic, Ford Focus etc.

Impreza - its scary thing, lethal in the wrong hands.
Kumar101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 22:22   #7

Quote:
Yes they are extraordinary cars most successful rally car ever made and the road version was more or less the same as as the racing one. Now in my mature years I think back on the way I drove this it seems pretty surreal its as if I'm watching movie in permanent fast forward when reminisce and replay some the those driving moments in my head.

The other Car I had a lot of fun with was Ford Sierra Sports which my Company gave me brand new one in the mid 80's one model down from the legendary Sierra Cosworth(google it). V quick and very comfortable and in those days there were no speed cameras and roads not congested so a lot of fun to drive around.
That is super cool! two absolute classics! I know the sierra Cosworth. I used to drive it all the time in Ford racing(game) .

It would be great if you could share with us your experience with these cars. btw, have you ever driven an Audi Quattro? My all time favourite.
Old 8th March 2017, 22:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Welcome sir, a great car and then a lazy life in Goa. A dream come true for many I guess. Welcome aboard
Thanks it's good to escape the rat race and live the lazy life.

Only have to worry about dodging the hordes of drunk, stoned, inexperienced, incompetent Scooter riders when I get behind the wheel.
Old 8th March 2017, 23:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
That is super cool! two absolute classics! I know the sierra Cosworth. I used to drive it all the time in Ford racing(game) .

It would be great if you could share with us your experience with these cars. btw, have you ever driven an Audi Quattro? My all time favourite.
I was teenager when the Audi Quattro was King I use drool over them never had the opportunity to drive one alas. VW were a bit of an iffy make before they bought out Audi and its Audi DNA that made VW great.
Old 9th March 2017, 00:51   #10
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hello All!

Welcome back to India! Welcome to Team-Bhp!!

Man isn't it cool? To retire at the age of 57 to live the easy life at Goa. No, it is terrific ! You are rocking !! At some point everything becomes pointles, ain't it ? The mad rush, the rules, the regulations, the routine, the schedules, the deadlines, the targets, the money, fame, power, everything. You just got to breakfree, sip that lazy morning coffee, listening to that soulful music, while looking at the sun rise over the sea. Just an easy life to share the love, peace and happiness.

Team Bhp is a great place to be. In fact "The Best"place to be for an automotive enthusiast.

Bring it on Sir! Waiting to hear the good, bad and ugly of the 35 years of driving experience in England. God only knows what the Subaru Impreza had gone through in your green years

And the Swift Zdi has got miles to go before.....err... it is replaced with an SUV.

Good Luck! Love and Live to Drive!
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Welcome back to India! Welcome to Team-Bhp!!At some point everything becomes pointles, ain't it ?

This is very true make the most of this life because this life is the one and only life you will get!

When we eventually enter into twilight years sitting on that old rocking chair on the patio all the we have are but our memories. Be they memories of the runs you scored on that fabulous innings, the goals that you scored on that special night, the night to remember you spent with that super-hot chick , the adrenaline rush you got from your vehicle, the beautiful view you saw that has been permanently etched within your memory or the musician who totally mesmerised you.

Enjoy it while you can

Last edited by Kumar101 : 9th March 2017 at 11:38.
Kumar101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread