Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 16th March 2017, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Post The toughest part of a conversation!

Hi fellow Team-BHPians

It gives me great pleasure to be part of this exclusive club of people with a passion for automobiles. Thank you GTO!

As I have said in the subject line, talking about myself is the toughest part of a conversation for me. The song from "Love Story" comes to my mind at this time; "Where do I begin?".

I suppose the best place to begin is at the beginning. My first memories of my personal toys were imaginary cars made of small blocks of wood which I would "drive" around the "highway" on the parapet wall of my house, at every given opportunity. More than I remember anything else, I vividly remember a Chevorlet, Impala, Standard 10, Standard 20, Morris Minor, Landmaster, FIAT, Ambassador, Dodge, Bedford, Lambretta, Vespa, Triumph, Java, Bullet (gears on the right with a neutral lever) and such which have been consigned to history. You may have a rough estimate of my age, going by my association with the names above.

By the time I was 8, I had assisted my father who used to overhaul his cycle every month on a Sunday. When I was 10, I could carry out the overhaul without my father's help. When I was 11, my brother had his first vehicle, a lambretta which had a registration number which I remember even today; ADY 0732. That was also the first motorised vehicle that I rode.

Fast forward to the time when the Himalayan Rally was one of two most prestigious motor sporting events in the country, the other one being the annual races at Sholavaram during February every year. While I would wait eagerly from every New Year to be at Sholavaram, the Himalayan Rally was a distant dream during its first few years. Thankfully the wait wasn't long since many of the people officiating in various capacities were outsourced from the Madras Motor Sports Club. Your truly was also one of those and it was during those wonderful years that I had the opportunity to meet up and know the who-is-who of motorsport in the country. I had the wonderful opportunity to see a large portion of our wonderful country, thanks to my association with motorsport as an officiating member for close to two decades.

I would try my best to contribute in any which way that I can and I also look forward to expertise from the experts here. I thank you all in advance.

While I love driving, I certainly separate commuting from competitive driving and don't mix the two.

I wish you all a safe and enjoyable drive at all times.
swissknife is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 15:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The toughest part of a conversation!

Welcome Swissknife! Very well-written introduction .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
You may have a rough estimate of my age, going by my association with the names above.

a lambretta which had a registration number which I remember even today; ADY 0732.
Your memory of number-plates is as good as your friend - Behram Dhabhar's. That man was able to recollect the number of every car that he'd owned or test-driven!! Crazy.

Quote:
Your truly was also one of those and it was during those wonderful years that I had the opportunity to meet up and know the who-is-who of motorsport in the country. I had the wonderful opportunity to see a large portion of our wonderful country, thanks to my association with motorsport as an officiating member for close to two decades.
Sweet! We have some lovely threads on the scene from those days. Hope you share some experiences.

Welcome again; it's great to have you with us.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Behram Dhabhar's. That man was able to recollect the number of every car that he'd owned or test-driven!! Crazy.
Behram could remember the registration plates of every vehicle that he ever drove. One may say, not very difficult to remember. One may add, the colour of every vehicle. Not too difficult again. But then, one should remember that he worked at automobile manufacturing companies like Premier Automobiles and Mahindra. Now, considering the number of vehicles that would be available at their disposal to drive, remembering number plates, colours, their unique attributes etc. required a memory that would put elephants to shame. It is so sad that he has left us at such a young age.

I remember once when Behram drove us from Mumbai to Nashik, in a Tata Estate, in the early '90s. He drove the wheels off that car when we had to fill in as a route opening car, for a motorcycle rally, since the designated car had developed issues. We were four of us in that car along with rally supplies and not at one moment did we feel we were in, what was considered to be, a dud of a car!

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2017 at 10:29. Reason: Typos
swissknife is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 09:27   #4
BHPian

Welcome to the forum SwissKnife !!

Very knowledgeable and informative posts. By reading your posts, I felt you must be some Journalist or Novelist. Both your posts are worth to be called so !!

Wish to see more creative posts from you !!
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 10:11   #5
BHPian

Talking Re: The toughest part of a conversation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Welcome to the forum SwissKnife !!

Very knowledgeable and informative posts. By reading your posts, I felt you must be some Journalist or Novelist. Both your posts are worth to be called so !!

Wish to see more creative posts from you !!
I feel flattered here! ; ) Unfortunately you are off the mark on both counts. I am neither a Journalist or a Novelist, at this time. Who knows what is in store in the future. I have always wanted to write an autobiography, primarily for me to be able to recollect happenings in my life if and when my memory decides to give up on me : D

-SK
Closed Thread