Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 19th February 2008, 11:46   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Default Wonderful forum!!!

Before I introduce myself I'd like to congratulate and thank the brains behind this forum...its just what enthusiasts in India needed to bring it all together. Going through many of the posts of members its so evident that there's a little something of value that every person adds and (with help from moderators) the knowledge and experiences shared here can prove to be invaluable in furthering the passion for all things automotive for the present and future generations.

I come from a family that has owned automobiles from the time they first came into India. Leon Bollee, Itala, De Dion, Renault, LaSalle, Buick, Hudson, Austin, Ford, Vanguard, Hillman, Vauxhall, Plymouth, Chrysler,Morris,Ambassador,Fiat,Chevrolet, Dodge, several Packards, Honda Civic, Toyota Landcruiser (am sure I've missed a few...need to pick my Dad's brain to document the full range) are some of the marques my family owned in four generations. Its been a remarkable journey...or I prefer to call it a love affair that's lasted over a 100 years!!

The 1929 LaSalle (built by Cadillac) now with an uncle completes 78 years in the family, since it was bought new in '29 by my great grandfather. I inherited my passion for cars from my father who represents that generation that used all these cars as daily drivers and knew them intimately. He remains a veritable storehouse of knowledge on whats original on most models of yesteryear. My Dad and I maintain three Packards, a Hillman and a Mercedes at home apart from the usual modern stuff. Another indulgence is a 1998 Honda VFR 800 which I had the pleasure of buying in Dubai where I lived once and imported it back into Hyderabad in 2000. She completes 10 years with me and still looks fresh.

Professionally the bulk of my years have been spent with a dealership in Dubai representing Honda, Chrysler and Volvo cars and now in Hyderabad with Honda and growing the used car business.

As a hobby I've had the pleasure of rescueing a 38 Packard (Many a enthusiast had written her off and almost had gone to the breakers) and in five months, singlehandedly(with no help), I overhauled all the mechanicals, ie the engine, an overdrive gearbox, the brakes, and the differential and brought her back to life. The pictures of this project are on a website Zorpia: Deepak's Homepage for anyone interested along with pics of our other Packards. I now need to complete the paint and trim work to finish the project.

After years of riding alone, on and off a few guys joined but dropped off, since May 2006 I've finally managed to build a group of riders (full strength approx 20) with whom every Sunday without fail we ride out 100 to 200 kms on radial roads around Hyderabad on the most amazing superbikes. We have VFR's, R1's, R6's, CBR 1000's and 600's, ZX 10, a 636, ZZR 14, 2 Ducatis, Fazer...losing track!!!...its an amazing collection. All the riders use the best in safety gear and its a sight to behold...all that colour. Its a matter of great pleasure to see that the group activity has now a life of its own and even if someone drops out a weekend there's always someone riding. This past December 5 of my buddies went on a marathon New Zealand trip doing 2500 kms on bikes in 10 days. Pictures of our regular riding are hosted for your viewing pleasure on HYDERABAD BIKE ZONE

My current passtime apart from completing restoration on the Packard and a Mercedes is an RV (motorhome, truck camper) I am constructing at home. Using bus structurals and doing it all in aluminium its turning out to be a wonderful experience. I intend travelling in it with my bike.

Further I am in the process of shifting the Nizam's cars to Chowmahalla Palace...guys you need to see these cars when the museum opens for display. They are without a doubt the most exotic pieces of machionery this planet will see in one location!!!! 1912 Rolls Royce with only 356 miles, a throne like rear seat with a domed roof and crown to top if off, two Napiers...I need to confirm the age but most likely they are 1904-07, a pre 1915 Wolseley, an imposing pre 1915 Fiat, a Harley and an Indian with a sidecar. Drop dead gorgeous stuff. I've cleaned the cars thoroughly and have recommended to the Nizam's estate that unless they are restored authentically they are better off displaying them in a weathered condition. As is they look mindblowing!!!

Well friends...as much as I tried to keep it short...I realise this intro is ridiculously long...but what the heck....I know someone somewhere digs all this stuff. Have fun.
Old 19th February 2008, 13:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic intro! Welcome to the forum Deepak, that's been quite a journey for you & your family!

Can we have more pictures of all the nice beauties that you & your family have had over the years? And if possible those of the Nizam's collection too?

And most importantly have fun here!
Old 19th February 2008, 13:59   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Would be a pleasure to share all the family cars' pictures. Do please check out the biking shots at HYDERABAD BIKE ZONE and the car restoration pictures at www.zorpia.com/deepakgir Hope you enjoy them

The Nizam's cars I need to get their permission before I can share them on a public forum...will ask.
Old 19th February 2008, 14:15   #4
BHPian

Fantastic, it is pleasure reading your introduction, look forward to meet.
My family also used to own some of cars, Buick, Ford, Chevrolet, Morris,
Austins 8,10,12, Hillman, Mini Morris, Rover, Fiat 7 seater-30's, Herald, Hindustan-48, Dodge, etc.

It is very nice to read the details about your collection and will love to see
pictures of your collections and Nizam's collection.

If I am not wrong, I met you on 6 June 2006 in Deccan Heritage car rally held in West Maredpally, Hyderabad. You brought your green ackard car. Which Hillman model, year do you have?

Please write more about Nizam's cars with pictures.

Good luck & best regards,
Old 19th February 2008, 15:18   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Its a 1954 Hillman Minx Mark VII. These are with the bigger trunk. A very handsome car. I am the second owner. Its a Hyderabad car and is very original. Until 1996 it was a daily driver but since has just been parked at home. Will post pictures of it for your viewing pleasure.
Old 19th February 2008, 15:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

A fantastic intro there Deepak. I went throught your Lambo and Ferrari experiences. Amazing writeups. Hope to hear more stories from you. Do go through the rules of the forum.

Welcome to Team BHP
Old 19th February 2008, 23:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Great intro there Deepak. You've already stormed us with lovely threads detailing your Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari experiences. How about giving us an entire thread in the Vintage and Classic Car Section detailing your restoration experiences.
Old 20th February 2008, 00:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Deepakji! Welcome aboard, good to see you have joined us atlast!

One of your friends (xoticars) who also is a good friend of mine, has already been a member here for quite some time although visits once in a while.
Old 20th February 2008, 08:56   #9
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Deepak , thats a nice collection of cars you have . Please post pictures of the Nizams cars and your restoration projects.
Old 20th February 2008, 09:30   #10
BHPian

What an intro!!! I can feel the passion you have for automobiles.

Welcome to Team-Bhp Deepak. I saw the pictures on Hyderabad Bike Zone....Truly Mind-blowing pictures. You guys seem to be having a blast. All the very best with your restoration(s) and your camper project.

Enjoy your stay at the Forum. Keep the pictures and coming!!!
Old 20th February 2008, 09:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to T-Bhp Deepak, an impressive intro must say.

I am sure lot of people here would love to hear your experiences with the classics.
Old 20th February 2008, 09:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome sir!!! Its good having people like you here. Pls start a dedicated thread on your cars!
Old 20th February 2008, 10:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Team BHP Deepak, great to have you on board. After reading your intro, I assure you that you will spend hours together reading through the archives here. The Vintage and Classic section will be of particular interest to you. Please share your experiences and pictures with us.

In the mean time, I had found these two pictures online a few years back, of the Nizams Fiat and Rolls.

Cheers
Karl
Old 20th February 2008, 10:13   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for such kind words of appreciation. The feeling is almost like when you've been journeying solo for years and suddenly you find an entire herd of like minded people. What all of you are doing personally furthering this passion for automobiles is truly precious and I have no doubt, reading such a deep and wide range of posts at Team-BHP, that the scene in India is as potent as it has been elsewhere around the world.

Its so important to share the fun each one of us is having be it solo or as a group, for in that there's a learning experience for all to realise the full potential of this passion.

I will encourage two other friends, one being Ajit from Madras and Parwarish from Hyderabad to join us too. They are veritable storehouses of knowledge and every time I meet these guys I come away in awe as to the extent they took their individual passion. All of us can draw heavily from their experiences. I know amongst most you I will find similar depth in experience and knowledge and look forward to learning more from your experiences.

Its a pleasure to invite all on their visits to Hyderabad to feel free to come home and see the cars and also join us on the bikes rides should you so desire.
Old 20th February 2008, 10:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deepak! That is a real good intro and, what can I say, two thumbs up!

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay here!
Closed Thread