Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 28th April 2004, 18:45   #1

Name - Sawan Gupta
Age - 26
Status - Married w/ 4 month old daughter
From what I remember I have always liked cars. My 2 brothers also like cars.
I got into bikes when my uncle bought himself one of the first Kinetic Honda's. I hadn't even learnt to ride a bicycle then. But when the kinetic came, I wanted to get on it so bad, that I learnet to ride a bicycle and within 2 weeks I was on the kinetic. My folks hated me on bikes, but I always managed to ride now and then.
I got my first bike after about 11 years of pestering. My Dad got me a 1999 Honda CBR600F in November 2001. I took my bike riding very seriously. I first went through a regular riding school in London, after which I went to the Ron Haslam Race School in London. I am quite proud to say that I can kick some ### on a bike! I had done this bike up with a Micron Full-on racing exhaust (105db) and K&N Air FIlter.
After I sold my bike in June 2002 (due to pressure from my mom), I got into cars. I bought a lancer and started looking at how to blow it up (not literally of course). I got a plug-n-play turbo kit from Australia. It came with 3psi already set. After a few months I wanted more boost. So i ordered an intercooler (which I later cancelled since it took too much time) and also started incresing the boost. I took it to 7psi which was a maximum suggested limit when not running an intercooler. One sunday morning, when I had planned to go for a blast down the east-cost road (mainly straights with a few amazing corners) I filled up on POWER (from HP). When I was about half way out of the city, I started feeling a loss of compression. I somehow managed to drive back to my house. When I sent my car to the garage, I had been told that the gas was so bad and low on octane, that the engine detonated. There was a hole about 1/4" in diameter from 1 of the cylinders to the other!!!!! Guess what - I had managed to blow up the engine. I then pulled out the turbo from the car after coming to the conclusion that the bl**** fu***** at our petrol bunks will never ever change! Pure for sure - my a**!
excuse the french!
I am now driven around in a Sonata. I am trying to find a supercharger for it from America. I will let you guys know if I succeed on that front.
My older brother has a vectra, which I have done up with a K&N Air Filter, OWS spark plugs, twin pipe high flow end can and a few bits on the body from Irmscher. This car flies and sounds just superb.
My plans for the immediate future (end of the year) - E270cdi for my older brother (will put in a brabus chip later), and Ducati 998 biposto for myself. I might go in for the 999 if I cant find a good 998.
Old 28th April 2004, 18:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oye Sawan,

From a CBR to a turbo Lancer to an E270...those are some sweet rides you have there. You seem to be heavily into modding machines yourself, and we do have some members who thrive on the same. Shame for the experience with the blown engine though.

How come a Sonata?

Welcome aboard

GTO
Old 28th April 2004, 19:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome in Sawan,
Im new too but still this place is already comfy.
BTW u'll love ur E270 CDI, And may i suggest you get it after Jan05'? Every year MB adds something to cars after Jan... Eg. This year they added the 4 zone climate ; Wood Steering ; phone connection

Next year maybe Memory seats ?? Or that hot panorama roof!!

Have fun...

Old 28th April 2004, 20:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey there Sawan.
Welcome to teambhp.

(Asuming that the Lancer you bought was the HM product and that you live in India)
With a 7psi boost, i guess your engine might have been producing around 125 to 135 bhp!!! Correct me if i'm wrong.

That's pretty good power for Indian conditions. That engine blow up incident really shocked me for a sec. Can bad fuel quality really have such a drastic effect on TC'd engines?

i've seen engines explode on TV but those were hotrod dragters with close to 1000 or more bhp.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Old 29th April 2004, 04:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Sawan,

welcome!
a CBR600F after 11 years of pestering isnt a bad deal at all!
About the engine blowup - how soon after going up to 7psi did it happen? also IM NOT SURE but power's octane rating is stated as the RON which will be a lot higher than the MON. And i guess the common system used, or taken for granted when octane levels are mentioned (atleast in the states) is the average of the RON&MON. [(RON+MON)/2)]. Maybe that was a contributor?
Sounds like u are having a great time with doing up your relatives cars!!
goodluck with finding your 998!

cya
Rehaan
Old 29th April 2004, 11:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (sawan @ April 28 2004,17:15)]I got my first bike after about 11 years of pestering. My Dad got me a 1999 Honda CBR600F in November 2001.
Who dosen't have that bike high on his / her list? Rtech will agree.

Welcome aboard dude.
Old 29th April 2004, 12:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sawan

A CBR 600 not bad at all. My brother now wants to get a bike and hes now pestering us to get one for him. It was great to read bout your Lancer but the engine blowup was unfortunate though. You seem to be into car mods and we could use your technical knowledge for the forum

Welcome aboard

P.S: Where are you living currently

Cheers
Old 29th April 2004, 14:19   #8

Thumbs up

Thanx guys!

Oy GTO - I dont have the E270cdi yet. I plan to buy it for me bro after the new exim policy is out by the end of the year (hopefully it will bring down the duties by then).
My family thought I needed a big luxury car after I got married - hence the Sonata. I personally think my bro wanted me to chill out as he thought I was going nuts.

Hi S-E - Thanx for the advice. I'll keep that in mind when planning my new-e. BTW, why did'nt u buy the S320cdi. The cdi engines are so much more superior, less polluting and literally start flying with the brabus chip!

Hi Shan2nu - My lancer was probably 100bhp at 3psi. and maybe around 120 at 7psi. I was level with a friends modded city. That car was a flyer too.
The bhp level for 7psi is quite low. The good thing about this TC kit was that it gave me super amount of torque. That made city driving so much more easier and taking corners so much more fun. I am getting this kit installed (with lower boost this time) in my friends lancer. I am installing his normally aspirated mods (filter, bigger throttle body, plugs, wires and exhaust) in my lancer for my younger brother to use for the next 3 months. He is studying in the US and is coming back for 3 months of holiday. He wanted the turbo installed in the lancer for him to use, but I think he cant handle it yet. So the next best thing at least i thought!
About the blow-up, it wasn't exactly smoke billowing out the exhaust like in F1 cars! It was basically a samll hole in the head (next to where the gasket sits) between 2 cylinders. You can feel this, because there is a loss of compression at one particular time (when it is time for that particular cylinder to fire).
Quality of fuel is the most important thing for TC cars, as chances of detonation are so much more! I think POWER is not a higher octane rated fuel. It is only regular fuel with some additives. I think my bunk added some additives of their own that day! I say THAT DAY because I was running with 7psi for almost 2 full months before the blow-up.

Hi Rehaan - RON & MON are basically the unit of measuring octane levels. RON is research octane number and MON is motor octane number. I have mostly seen RON only being mentioned everywhere. Even on bikes fuel tanks, I have seen RON only mentioned.
BPCL has finally decided on launching 97 octane gas. I hope they hurry!

Hi Aditya - Thanx!

Hi Dippy - I got into car mods because of a friends dad actually. He is one mad parsi! He is totally into cars. He has a BMW330 which he has just got supercharged. He has a Lexus GS300 which also he has souped up to 450 bhp. He has a indian lancer, in which he has put a 175bhp mitsubishi mivec engine with NOS. He is setting up a 2nd lancer with an EVO engine - should be ready in about 1 month. He is the one who got me totally into modding cars. He has also set up a small store that sells some of this stuff in Madras (where I live) as a hobby.

I have done a lot of research and spoken to people all over the world regarding TC's, SC's, NOS, LSD kits, and whole lot of other sh**. I'd be glad to help anyone out if they are planning to soup up their cars.

SG
Old 29th April 2004, 16:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (sawan @ April 29 2004,12:49)]Hi S-E - Thanx for the advice. I'll keep that in mind when planning my new-e. BTW, why did'nt u buy the S320cdi. The cdi engines are so much more superior, less polluting and literally start flying with the brabus chip!
Im kinda against mods' esp. related to engine. .. another thing is i dont find the diesel so attractive esp when you compare the price. And then it's CBU so double RTO and stuff gets too expensive and Im not sure abt the models after face lift but pre- facelift you could not get Long wheelbase in the S320CDI!!

But believe me im too happy with the 350 so much at times im so glad i did not think of the S500!!

But when you talk of BRABUS I'm thinking of the wheels maybe 20"
Old 29th April 2004, 18:15   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] another thing is i dont find the diesel so attractive
I agree, for me an S Class can be only one thing....A Petrol!!

GTO
Old 29th April 2004, 18:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 29 2004,16:45)][

GTO
Not even a 400 V8 diesel - think of the torque !!!
Old 29th April 2004, 20:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ April 29 2004,17:05)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 29 2004,16:45)][

GTO
Not even a 400 V8 diesel - think of the torque !!!
S400CDI with 5 Spd. Auto = 85,608 EU.
S500L with 7G = 86,594 EU.

Wud u still choose the CDI??
Old 29th April 2004, 20:34   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ajmat,

Fine. Cant argue with 413 lb/ft of torque now, can we? And that too at a brilliantly low 1700 rpm!!

GTO
Old 30th April 2004, 04:02   #14
BANNED

exim policies r they gonna change?? if yes when and how. thought the new budget did all they could to free up the imports1
Old 30th April 2004, 11:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ April 30 2004,02:32)]exim policies r they gonna change?? if yes when and how. *thought the new budget did all they could to free up the imports1
I think by April 05' things will be easy. I also hope with ease of import they rationalise the import duty, I was talking to my dealer abt importing a CLS500, But then he told me how there still remain a few hurdles in the way and i hate the fact that you can't equip your car with distronic in India
So i even hope they let cars have that would be fun on the expressway ...
Closed Thread

« Hi All | hello »