Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2009, 08:35   #1
BHPian

Default My Classic Bikes

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. Still trying to get the hang of it.
I am 60 years old. Did my Degree in Physics from Kerala University and Joined ESSO Refinery Bombay as Instrument Tech. After 3 years joined an Offshore Oil firm in middleast and worked for 35 years in Instrumentation Dept. Recently retired from service. Settled in Bangalore since '81.

My first car was a Standart Herald MK-II. Then an Amby(Diesel), Maruthi-800 (Still with me after 21 years), a TATA Safari, And an OPEL Corsa (still with me).

I had a Enfield Bullet in the 80's which I sold. I bought a 1950 model Sunbeam S-8 in 1985 ( Basket case) and restored it mysely. It took me about 3 years. I also bought a BSA-A50 (1963) in 1987 un-restored and still running.

I Will post the Photos when I figure out how to do it. As I am retired now, I intent to work on those 2 bikes now.

Pls note.
Non-original items such as Horns & Trafficators etc were removed since.

Regards

Sathish
Attached Images

Old 9th April 2009, 10:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. Still trying to get the hang of it.

Sathish
sudharma: Sir, firstly welcome to Team-Bhp and thanks for bringing us your story. I loved the pictures and the restorations you undertook- especially poignant is the Sunbeam inline twin because I rode a similar machine here in Bangalore some years ago.

You've done a marvellous job bringing her back her lost spiff and glory. Please post pics of your BSA restoration-along with the adventure- when you have the time. There are many petrolheads like me who enjoy these machines and have overwhelming memories.
If you are interested in reading similar stories, you'll find them here on Team-Bhp- heaps of vintage/antique bikers here. Some machines I can recall are a Triumph Speed Twin, BSA Goldie (pic posted by someone other than the owner) etc.

Though I've since graduated to fast and ferocious Jap superbikes, I myself owned an ex War Dept Triumph 350 OHV single many years ago- in fact cut my biking teeth on her. She was my pride and joy!
Old 9th April 2009, 11:03   #3
BHPian

Sir, Welcome to T-BHP! Great to have you on this forum.

My late grandfather used to ride a Sunbeam amongst his other bikes and four horses! The Sunbeam was disposed off when I was a child but we have grown up hearing his 'actions stories' with the sunbeam. (He held high posts in Cutoms and Police). Looking at your bikes took me in that era.

Last edited by Bouncer : 9th April 2009 at 11:06. Reason: Grammar
Old 9th April 2009, 11:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Sir, Welcome to T-BHP! Great to have you on this forum.

My late grandfather used to ride a Sunbeam amongst his other bikes and four horses! The Sunbeam was disposed off when I was a child but we have grown up hearing his 'actions stories' with the sunbeam. (He held high posts in Cutoms and Police). Looking at your bikes took me in that era.
Thanks.
I will update as soon as possible.
Old 9th April 2009, 12:47   #5
BHPian

The joy you feel when you are riding one of these old bikes cannot be expressed in words. You may know the difference since you had ridden both the Japs (what the old school calls the "Screaming Devils" ) and the old british bikes.

This is only my observation and meant on offence to the Japanese bikes. My appologies if any one feels offended.
sathish
Old 9th April 2009, 13:15   #6
BHPian

Hi Sudharma - Welcome to TBHP.
You have a very good motor cycle. Please change the tail lamp of Enfield Bullet to a BSA one on your bike. Even the rear number plate seems from a Bullet.
That will add more originality in my opinion.

Regards
Old 9th April 2009, 14:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Sudharma...Welcome to this awesome world of T-BHP.
Thats quite nice bikes you have.
Keep checking out for meets and reunions.
also you can post your gallery once you reach minimum number of posts.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:35   #8
BHPian

The sunbeam is a beauty.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:44   #9
BHPian

Mate, Good to know that you used the hard earned oil money for restoring such wonderful bikes. appreciate your efforts.
Hats off to you!
Old 9th April 2009, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Sir, A Hearty Welcome to Team-Bhp. Those are 2 beautiful bikes that you have there. Looking forward to the BSA Restoration.

Cheers!!!!
Old 10th April 2009, 09:19   #11
BHPian

You are absolutely right. I am trying to get the original lamps and number plates for both the bikes. I had been outside the country for most of my working life and now back home.Got plenty of spare time now. Valuable comments from the forum is always welcome.
Thanks for the response.
Closed Thread