Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2009, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up 3 Years with TEAM-BHP

I have been a silent observer of Team-Bhp. A little late in the day, but finally I thought to start afresh with an introduction on my 3rd anniversary of joining Team-BHP. In these three years Team-Bhp has grown from strength to strength and today it can be safely considered as a Bible on Indian Cars and Indian Automotive scenario.

The generals first
Name: Manoj
Bread earning means: Have been in IT for 10 years now and am a program manager in a Telco.
My current Cars: 2006 Hyundai Getz & 2003 Tata Indica
Past Cars: 1980 HM Ambassador (Dad's Company car), 1983 Fiat Padmini, 1990 Maruti 800, 1995 Fiat Padmini diesel, 1997 Maruti Esteem (Dad's Company car), 1997 Maruti 800

My love for cars stems from my early childhood, when dad bought a second hand fiat in 1988. I was 10 years old and always dreamt of driving the car. The car used to be maintained at dadís company garage which ensured that the car always was in pristine condition till the day it was sold. This has carried on and all my cars are till date maintained and kept in pristine condition.

My family has been in Navi Mumbai for 26 years now. I learnt to drive in a friends Mahindra commander when I was in eighth and my feet used to barely reach the brakes and accelerator. Dad realized my passion and once I reached eleventh, he used to let me drive the fiat (It was a great car at that time and was fun to drift in monsoons, being a rear wheel drive, a feature that I sorely miss in my current cars). Yeah it was an era when there were few cars and lot of open space to learn to drive. The cars were simple to maintain and nobody used to worry about the carís warranty and it getting void.

I donít remember how I discovered Team-BHP, but since then there has been no looking back. I have referred to Team-Bhp endless times for potential car issues, new car reports, new car launches and scoops, Rudraís car care guide (Incidentally Rudra & Viper are the only team-bhpians I have met till date. I still remember, my Getz was only 2 days old. I was getting my music system installed at sound factor in Bangalore and when Rudraís gleaming Optra [2 year old at that time] came there, I was looking for a place to hide my Getz), Samís great Yeti Blogs (My Laptops F5 key is due for replacement now :-) ), the ICE section(where no budget is enough), Samuraiís thread on living with Jeeps, Viperís Honda City Build, etc. There is so much wealth of knowledge in this forum and its members, so much to learn & enhance my knowledge on cars. Must thank GTO for starting this forum & the entire mod team for managing this forum so well that it is always a pleasure to be here. Team-Bhp is 5 now and I wish endless more years to it!

Drive & Live to Drive!!
Old 12th April 2009, 19:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome Malgudi. (should I even say it since you've been here so long).
Anyway, what took to so long to come on board.

BTW, isint Malgudi a small town in KA?
Old 12th April 2009, 19:20   #3
BHPian

Welcome board again.(since you were a silent listener here for a long time)
Old 12th April 2009, 19:40   #4
BHPian

Thumbs up Malgudi...

@malgudi, agree with you... I too discovered Tbhp a couple of years ago and haven't looked back since then. (Though I started posting only since Jan 09) I was amazed by the collective passion at Tbhp for anything on wheels, preferably with an engine! I have spent hours and hours going through the travelogues, through the vintage cars section etc. and yes, someday when I bump into Rudra Sir, I need to ask him to explain what does 'Oculus Negra' mean.

Welcome onto Tbhp and see you around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

@Mpower, actually 'malgudi' is a fictional village in Karnataka. Made popular as the location for the 'Malgudi days' by RK Narayan.

Last edited by hotstuff : 12th April 2009 at 19:41.
Old 12th April 2009, 21:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
Welcome board again.(since you were a silent listener here for a long time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
Welcome onto Tbhp and see you around!
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Quote:
Was in between Jobs and my new job involved lot of travelling.

Quote:
@malgudi, agree with you... I too discovered Tbhp a couple of years ago and haven't looked back since then. (Though I started posting only since Jan 09) I was amazed by the collective passion at Tbhp for anything on wheels, preferably with an engine! I have spent hours and hours going through the travelogues, through the vintage cars section etc. and yes, someday when I bump into Rudra Sir, I need to ask him to explain what does 'Oculus Negra' mean.
Hotstuff, you must see Rudra's Optra. You would be spell bound. It can put a brand new car delivered from showroom/factory to shame.

Quote:
Quote:
@Mpower, actually 'malgudi' is a fictional village in Karnataka. Made popular as the location for the 'Malgudi days' by RK Narayan.
@Mpower, As hotstuff has already mentioned, malgudi is a fictional village.
To say the truth, I have spent 7 years in Bangalore & there is a famous restaurant on HSR road by the name Malgudi whos food was my favourite. I liked the name & picked it as my nick.
Old 12th April 2009, 23:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Malgudi, I am glad you finally decided to introduce yourself. better late than never.

I have to confess, I clicked on this thread because of the handle Malgudi. Although it is a fictional village, it was almost brought to life by Shankar Nag in the doordarshan serial Malgudi Days in the late 80s. It was filmed in Agumbe, a tiny town 50Kms from my place.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It was filmed in Agumbe, a tiny town 50Kms from my place.
Samurai add to it , Talguppa also.(though not much)
This place is between Shimoga & Sagara
Old 13th April 2009, 11:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
I still remember, my Getz was only 2 days old. I was getting my music system installed at sound factor in Bangalore and when Rudraís gleaming Optra [2 year old at that time] came there,
Long time no see! Glad to see your introduction.
Quote:
and yes, someday when I bump into Rudra Sir, I need to ask him to explain what does 'Oculus Negra' mean.
Oculus Negra is latin. Oculus=Eye and Negra=Black. Black eye is my camera.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Hotstuff, you must see Rudra's Optra. You would be spell bound.
I thought it was his Amby that was the 'talk of Bangalore'
Old 13th April 2009, 22:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome Malgudi, I am glad you finally decided to introduce yourself. better late than never.
I agree Samurai. Better late than never. I have realized that I have missed a great oppurtunity to make so many friends in the last 3 years.

Quote:
I have to confess, I clicked on this thread because of the handle Malgudi. Although it is a fictional village, it was almost brought to life by Shankar Nag in the doordarshan serial Malgudi Days in the late 80s. It was filmed in Agumbe, a tiny town 50Kms from my place.
Have read your blog(if i am not mistaken) on farms in your native. It was a great pleasure to read. You do seem to have access to the most beautiful countryside and am envious of you for that my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Long time no see! Glad to see your introduction.
Rudra Sir, it feels good to be here. Still remember your advice on ICE tuning in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I thought it was his Amby that was the 'talk of Bangalore'
Navin, I havn't had the pleasure of personally seeing Rudra's Amby but looking at the pictures in the forum I know it would be one of the most sought after cars in entire Karnataka. Hope Rudra has electric fenced parking for it .
Closed Thread