Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2009, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Default Team BHP effects.. a newbie's perspective

Hey all

Just joined here and thought I will say a quick hi to all the motor heads around here. I am what you may call a newbie in matters of Cars et al. Learnt to drive ..actually touched the steering wheel only when I bought our first car (Wagon R) in 2008. It is the first car in our family. I bought it from my 3rd salary. Getting a 4 wheeler was one of the first things I did as soon as I was capable of doing things. The true joy of taking the whole family out ( at once in same vehicle) is something only 2 wheelers guys can understand.

Rain turned from a nuinace to symphony of sound originating from the roof (not to mention the sexy weather!!). Hot Summer afternoons turned from 'boil ho jaoge' to a perfect time to go out on empty roads. Traffic jams became from sweat fest to a veritable picnic ( what else would you call sitting in Ac,
listening to your favorite music and munching chips). I can go on but I think you get the drift.

Its been 1.5 years and the car has behaved admirably. never gave any trouble except for a few flat tyres. This initially posed a much bigger problem than it seems beacause I wasn't able to judge whether the tyre was flat or just noisy. As a result I have had to replace the tyre tube every time i had a flat. Apart from this, Car has been impeccable in all respects. Good speed and accleration ( kept up with camary on a moderately busy highway ), compact enough to weave out of jams and great FE in city.

Pre Team BHP, deciding for a car was a much simpler affair. We used the simple step to select ours

1. Decided the budget
2. Went to Hyudnai (Santro) and Maruti (Wagon R)
3. Sat in the driver's seat and made some whrrooom whroom sounds ( You see.. thats the only thing I knew to do with steering wheel)
4. No TD hassles( for reason see above)
5. No dealer hassles either. Bro's long lost school friend turned out to be a salesman at Maruti. He said " I will get you the best deal". We said "ok". That was it (faith in people you see).
6. Got a Lxi model i.e. no revmeter. So no way of telling when to shift gears except relying on engine sound ( must say it was a boon in disguise)

Its been 1.5 wonderful years with my Red Wagon-R and it was perfect in every way. Then one fine day I chanced upon Team BHP and now..

1. Steering which used to feel so 'light-and-nice' has suddenly become 'Detached-from-road'
2. Money spent on rear speakers which was 'money-well-spent' has become 'could-have-splurged-on-components' doubt.
3. Gear changes at 10-20-30-40-50 which have faithfully given me FE of 15 has now become boring and now I am always raring to 'Rev-it' , 'Red-line' etc.
4. From being content with overtaking vehicles with sheer driving skills and dexterity, I now want to rely on power too ( 'pocket-rocket-CrDI-Getz' or 'push-you-back-in-seat-Swift-D')

But all said and done.. I am much better informed about buying my second car or for that matter, in advising my non tbhphied friends on the nitty gritties of cars

Thanks Team BHP!!
Old 9th June 2009, 16:29   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishant B View Post
Hey all

But all said and done.. I am much better informed about buying my second car or for that matter, in advising my non tbhphied friends on the nitty gritties of cars

Thanks Team BHP!!
Hi Nishant, welcome to TBHP and what a superb entry speech! Hope to here your inputs regularly on various threads in future.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:34   #3
BHPian

Hi torotiseNhare, Thanks for the welcome. I will be try put in my 2 cents wherever deemed necessary or not
Old 9th June 2009, 16:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome, Nishant.
Yours is the best intro i have read in a long long time!

Quote:
1. Steering which used to feel so 'light-and-nice' has suddenly become 'Detached-from-road'
This was hilarious!! Good one!
Old 9th June 2009, 17:24   #5
BHPian

Thanks amitoj for the kind words. Unlike some people I have to TRY to be funny. Am glad that this particular try was successful by your standards
Old 9th June 2009, 17:36   #6
BHPian

Hey nishant,

welcome to TeamBHP.

Nice intro there. Have fun and hope to see more of your lovely posts.

Don't forget to go through the announcements section.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:06   #7
BHPian

Welcome to the forum, truly enjoyed reading your post.

Drive safe.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks amitoj for the kind words. Unlike some people I have to TRY to be funny. Am glad that this particular try was successful by your standards
Looks like all that practise is paying off.

Nice intro. Enjoyed reading it.

Cheers from another Wagon Driver
Old 9th June 2009, 18:16   #9
BHPian

@sideways and leadfoot : Thanks for your welcome.

I have been quite a voracious reader of team bhp till now. I have known a few motor heads from my IIT days but you guys here absolutely take the cake. Glad to be amongst you all
Old 9th June 2009, 18:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ha Ha Ha, one of the best introductory post i read till now
that too from a Techie from IIT,
Welcome, i am sure with your sense of humour and creative writing, you would be popular in T-BHP

Have fun
Closed Thread