Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 4th August 2009, 21:51   #1
BHPian

Default Hello, from an old car lover

Hi. I've been interested in cars ever since my father taught me the alphabet - A for Austin, B for Buick, C for Cadillac, D for Dodge, right down to Z. My first car was a lovely low mileage Vauxhall Vyvern; I was the second owner. I sold it in Hyderabad and would love to know if its still there. It was registered TMZ 6056. I then picked up a basket case MG TC for restoration and a Fiat for daily use. I sold the Fiat and then drove as daily transport, cars that belonged to friends and relatives; a Morris 10, 1938, a 1933 Austin 10 Saloon ( in which my parents had gone for their honeymoon) and a Standard 10 Companion, before I settled for a 1950 Morris Minor, two door model. She was joined by a 1933 Austin Seven and then I bought back my Father's Ambassador, 1964 model. The longest I've taken for a restoration was 14 years, for the MG and the shortest, 3 months, for restoring a Chevy Fleetmaster that belonged to the Svetoslav Roerich and Devika Rani estate in Bangalore. Right now, I'm starting work on a mother of all basket cases, a car that I've owned now for close to 12 years. Just researching it and collecting parts has taken that long. That will be my swan song. I like to drive my cars and usually take them out on Sunday mornings in Bangalore. I love the vintage and classic section and am learning a lot from team BHP
Tonrag
Old 5th August 2009, 12:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Tonrag! This has got to be a rare introduction thread where I don't know some of the cars being spoken about. But hey, we have other vintage car lovers onboard. I think your newest addiction starts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Hi. I've been interested in cars ever since my father taught me the alphabet - A for Austin, B for Buick, C for Cadillac, D for Dodge, right down to Z.
Classic! Only a car guy.

Do take a quick pitstop by our board rules section just once, we'd appreciate it.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi welcome on board. Expecting to view your vast exploits with those lovely cars in days to come.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:52   #4
BHPian

Welcome onboard Tonrag! good to have a vintage car lover in the forum, some pics from your end would be fantastic.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Tonrag ji,

While i can neither relate (am stumped) to some of the things you said, nor afford them - but I must stop by to salute both your experience and your age. Its a pleasure to have you around sir!

PS: That's a mighty complicated nick!
Old 5th August 2009, 13:33   #6
BHPian

Hi Tonrag,

Welcome to Team BHP, would love to see pictures of the cars you mentioned above.

Good Luck!
Old 5th August 2009, 15:55   #7
BHPian

Hi Tonrag welcome to Team-BHP. It's good to have a vintage car lover. They are quite intriguing a set of wheels.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hi Tonrag, welcome to TBHP. Do share with us your car restoration experience and pictures (if any), if not please do start taking some to share with all of us

Enjoy your stay.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:01   #9

Hi Mr.Tonrag,

Welcome to Team BHP.

Gasoline
Old 5th August 2009, 21:14   #10
BHPian

Tonrag, Welcome On board. I could recall from my dad some of the old cars from the list you have mentioned above. Hope to see some pics as well.
Old 6th August 2009, 15:23   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the interest. I'm really intrigued that some of you haven't heard of the cars that I mentioned. Time really flies and whats commonplace for one generation is unknown to another! I've attached photos of the cars I have, except for the Ambassador. I've also attached photos of the Chevy I restored, as it looked on 17 Aug 2004 and then on 17 October, 2004. I hope the attachments load; I'm new at this.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello, from an old car lover-zzj_40.jpg  

Hello, from an old car lover-zzj_picture-107.jpg  

Hello, from an old car lover-zzj_picture-3282.jpg  

Hello, from an old car lover-zzj_picture-3.jpg  

Hello, from an old car lover-zzj_picture-35.jpg  

tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2009, 17:08   #12
BHPian

Nice to have your expertise onboard SIR welcome and yes fabulous pictures
Old 6th August 2009, 20:19   #13
BHPian

Hello Tonrag,
Nice set of pictures of real cars! I had once stolen a short drive in a Morris that belonged to a friend's father. The feeling was simply great.
Hope to see more of you around.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:22   #14
BHPian

Really nice collection. Specially I liked the pre & post photos of your restored Chevy. I love that car. but there were few such cars along with huge fleet of Ford fourdoors & Mercurys at my home town.
Old 7th August 2009, 17:16   #15
BHPian

Welcome aboard tonrag. Awesome experience and passion. Those vintage beauties would do Rani Gayatri Devi proud.
Closed Thread