Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 27th August 2009, 20:32   #1

Default Auriga - Celestial Charioteer

Hi Everybody,

I have been an ardent fan of team-bhp and have surfed the site on a fairly regular basis for a couple of years now. I have always loved cars and longed to drive ever since I was a kid and rode in our family owned bottle green Ambassador Mk II. However a plethora of reasons, mostly the fact that I studied for quite a few years in residential educational institutes, meant that I never managed to learn to drive till I was almost forced to learn while on an onsite assignment in the US. Once there I drove on a plethora of vehicles like a 2006 Ford Mustang, a 2006 Mazda 6 (personal favourite), Chrysler Sebring and the quintessential rental car – the Ford Taurus. Needless to say, driving these fine machines on the awesome interstates over there was a lot of fun.

Coming back to India in the fag end of 2007, I was flabbergasted. I had no sense of driving in the chaos and mayhem of Bangalore roads and pretty much didn’t have the nerve to try. Got myself an old Maruti 800, thinking that since I am anyways going to unlearn/relearn why not do so on an old beater. But frequent travels kept interrupting my plan to take to driving again. Kept a driver and was pretty much done with driving for a while. But all the time kept visiting team-bhp to keep the thrill of driving alive in me.

Finally a couple of months back I came back for good and concentrated on getting my driving skills back. The old beater was duly employed to be the taskmaster and it took me a couple of weeks to feel comfortable enough to undertake my 40 km daily commute all by myself. Needless to say, I am beginning to enjoy my commute one again and am yearning to stretch my legs on the adjacent highways in and around Bangalore. Team-bhp’s ‘street and travel Experiences’ section only adds fuel to the fire and I thoroughly enjoy reading the posts over there.

A couple of more sections that I like the most are the ICE section and the section on modifications. Like many people before me, the section has also resulted in me biting the ICE bug. I just changed the ICE in the Maruti completely. The esteem is due for a makeover in October and the Honda goes under the scalpel once the warranty expires. I would love to share my ice experiences with other team-bhpians.

As of now, I have owned or do own the following vehicles:
1. 2004 Kawasaki Bajaj Wind 125 - Lying idle
2. 2004 Maruti Esteem LX - My first car and currently with my parents in Calcutta. Although this was my first car, I have never driven it except for a couple of hours now and then.
3. 2002 Maruti 800 AC - Bought by me in 2007 and still being run around 1000 km/month. It’s my beater car.
4. 2009 Honda City - My current ride

I do like to dabble in quite a few things. My hobbies include photography, philately, simulation and embedded programming. All this is in complete variance to my professional profile, wherein I work as a management consultant. Gadgets and hacking them give me a thrill.

I am looking forward to interacting with all the other members and contribute to the discussions.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:14   #2
BHPian

Hi Auriga welcome to Team-BHP. It must have been a shock to drive on crowded Indian roads after driving in US. Good to have you here. I am sure you are going to have a great time here. See you around!!
Old 28th August 2009, 19:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Auriga,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
...the section has also resulted in me biting the ICE bug. I just changed the ICE in the Maruti completely...
I'm guessing you could say that your ICE costs more than your car?
(I have a feeling you're not alone here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
...My hobbies include photography, philately, simulation and embedded programming....
I think we have a thread for each one of those! (Though i'm unclear on what you mean by "simulation?) :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html (The Official non-auto Image thread)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html (The Auto-Image thread)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-s-thread.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hlight=arduino (Are there any ATMEL-AVR geeks around)

cya around!
R
Closed Thread