Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 11th October 2009, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Talking Vroom Vrooom...here I come!!!

Howdy folks .

I am Rahul and I work in the not so interesting field of IT. I have been following tbhp for several years as a passive user. It was only when I decided to buy a second hand royal enfield I tried to register with tbhp. And what a surprise, my registration was accepted the first attempt. I have read some guys in this forum say they had to try several times before managing to register. Guess I was lucky for a change atleast in something! My dream machines are the RE Bullets and the Jeep / SUV kind of vehicles. I love doing road trips and have done my share of trips on my wheels, except that now I am married for over a year and my wife prefers comfortable travels and doesnt like road trips :(.

My first bike was a RE Thunderbird 2004 (TN Registered). It was an amazing experience owning the legend. But extended periods of stay on and off the country made me sell my bike since there was no one back home to take care of her. I sold for a throwaway price of 50K ( I had bought it for 84). Not that I wanted to sell or I was short on Vitamin M. It was just that the so called experts around me (read parents, family, friends etc) said the bike will not perform well if u keep it idle, parts could rust, you will not get any resale later on, etc etc.

Wish I had known of a site like tbhp and I would have asked the 'real' experts for some suggestions on whether I could keep the bike for long periods without using and what would be the impact on engine, performance etc. The wealth of knowledge in this site is amazing. and I have no regrets in accepting that.

Ok fast forward to 2006 and I got a 2nd hand HH Passion (AP registered since I was in Hyd then). Got her for 29K with 25K Kms on the odo. It was mainly bought since I was still in a stage where I may fly abroad again soon. The bike was highly reliable. I really recommend this bike to any person looking for VFM and a plain bike with no styling or show offs. I have this bike till date (now converted to TN registration since I moved to Chennai). Had some engine work last year and spent close to 5K in doing that and bike runs like a new one now.

On to 2008, my family moved with me to Chennai. We were originally based in Bombay (err, sorry Mumbai - sorry MNS, bhai log marna mat). So I decided to upgrade to a car. Again lots of confusion. Used to surf tbhp then, but not very actively. So finally after TDs of Opel corsas, Santros, Wagon Rs, Altos, Ford Icons etc I decided to go for Wagon R. I chose this mainly because this being my first car and my complete lack of knowledge (heck I dont even realise if my tyres have a puncture when I am driving). I got a superb car for 2.9 lac with ~25 K on odo (again, same like my bike). No scratches, engine superb and yes the dealer was known to a very close friend, so I trusted him when he vouched for the car. Ok after my share of crashes and bangs (the scars of which my poor car still bears), I can drive damn well now.

I am amazed at the knowledge which many of you possess. I pretty often read some posts of guys like Sankar, bblost, V12, Gordon, Khan_sultan, GTO, 4X4 rider, Dirty Dan, Nitrous etc etc. Sorry may have missed many names but just putting across the ones coming to top of my mind now. The recommendations you guys give are amazing and I am going to take this opportunity to gain my knowledge on bikes, cars and the likes.

I feel so excited reading the posts of these 4X4 restorations by guys like Harjeev, FK, etc. I have made up my mind to buy a battered gypsy or a MM army spec and do the restoration some day soon. Not to show off or follow the pack, but because I really love the jeeps. My second 4 wheeler would surely have been some SUV or Jeep even if I hadnt been on tbhp. But I am glad I am here.

It has been a really long post, its just that I am so excited to be here. Please dont swear at me; thanks a lot friends for going thro' my post. Heres some pics of my wheels (new and ex), dont have any pics of the Passion, should take some day!
Attached Thumbnails
Vroom Vrooom...here I come!!!-dsc00437.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 11th October 2009, 14:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Rahul, welcome to TBHP. Glad to have you onboard.

That is an interesting writeup about your interests.
Keep visiting the 4x4 section regularly, and you'd soon jump on and get yourself one.

Keep the contributions coming, and add to the storehouse of knowledge.

P.S. : I would suggest a quick glance through the Announcements section, just to keep abreast of the guidelines.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:19   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the welcome benbsb29

I am almost on everyday in the 4X4 and the bikes section, simply love this community. I have started setting aside funds, I am sure next year I should have my 4X4.

Hopefully I learn enough on this site to contribute 2 cents of my own
Closed Thread