Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 22nd October 2009, 22:49   #1
BHPian

Default And so I wake up finally!

Hey Folks,

After months of reading through, I finally decided to start chipping in - to start off, am true blue Madrasi (now Chennaiite) at heart settled in Hyd for the past 5 years. I sell techies for a living (that's what BizDev in IT co's is mostly about!) and am a bit of an auto enthusiast (let's say 5 on a scale of 10). Am fascinated by large machines (lately the Volvos), love driving and reading about cars. Don't have much technical knowledge about cars, chauffer driven in the mornings (wifey doesn't know to drive) and constrained on long drives by my 1.5yr old son, an energy ball whose tolerance limit to be in a same position and not running around is 20 minutes . I look forward to knowing more about cars, reading those fantastic travelogues, getting to see new places through the pics in there and meeting some like-minded folks.

Came across this forum while crawling the web, and I must say this is one of the most professional and courteous forums I've come across for any genre. I've seen auto forums in which members loyal to specific auto cos fighting with each other (Honda v/s Hyundai), bad mouthing cars, getting personal etc., etc., This is one forum where disagreements are dealt with firmly but still in a courteous manner and people agree to disagree! Now that's quite a feat in public forums and I must congratulate the mods for keeping a hawk eye to ensure proper decorum is maintained.

The first vehicle I owned was a "Mofa". Not sure how many of you know/remember this moped that was a nice little product from the Enfield stable. I then graduated to a Suzuki Samurai, was kicked by the power of the 2-stroke bike, and drove it around for few years. Though it was powerful and fun to drive, it was a drain on maintenance - bought a 6yr old vehicle (1995 model bought in 2001) and had to get every part redone from wiring to engine re-boring. It's still around in my garage and I really don't know what to do with it - it's stuck with a TN plate in AP, a sitting duck for the cops around the HiTech/Gachibowli area.

I then decided to play it safe while moving to a 4-wheeler and bought a 2003 Alto in 2005. It had just done about 16Kkms and the dealer (Talwar) assured me of maintenance free run for the next few years. True to his word, the Alto continues to run without any hitches (not even a flat tyre) all these years. It was a great first car, peppy, easy to drive and I thought it was all that 4 wheels could do for someone who does 99% driving in city - until I decided to upgrade to a sedan (pre-owned again) and came across this forum which made me go in for a beast: Geez, now I know what FUN is driving a car!!

Let me stop my rant here and move to the What Car forum to talk about my latest purchase. BTW, any guesses on what my latest upgrade could have been

Cheers,
Sriram
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sriram

Thats a very nice intro there. Glad to have you aboard. The Alto is a perfect city and can go on for years without any hiccups. However we would really like to know about your beast. Take a stop at the Rules section to familiarize yourself with the working of the forum.

Welcome to Team BHP.
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:21   #3
BHPian

Hey Sriram, Welcome to the gang. Let me take a guess on your car - Is it a Verna/Elantra?
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP, Sriram. I remember the Mofa quite well. There was a guy in college who used to ride it and we used to tease him saying "he has landed in a Helicopter!".

The only beast I know as of now is the 110 BHP/240 Nm Torque Verna CRDi that I am totally enjoying right now! So what's yours?
Old 24th October 2009, 12:49   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the warm welcome dippy!

@newcoolgadgets/ElantraGT - Damn right - a 2005 Noble White Elantra CRDi LP it is!! I guess the term 'beast' is associated with jus a couple of these cars - glad to have one in my garage!

And yes, the Mofa used to be an object of ridicule at school. But the boys never missed a chance to take a 'round' in it though!
Closed Thread