Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 2nd September 2005, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Default Hi ! Thanks BHPians

Hi,
After searching all over the net, I landed at this site. I
am impressed by this websites practical & relevant
information content. Like so many Indians out there, I was in a dilemma of choosing the right car. I had zeroed in on the Indigo, Baleno & Petra. This is
where I found relevant articles answering my queries.
This is how I arrived at my decision: We needed a car to replace our aging 800. This has seen thick and thin all these years. And the Bombay floods was the last straw.

We wanted a car:
1) Mostly for long weekend drives.(one in 3-4 weeks)
==> Small cars were out. Had enough small car exp with

M800.
2) Small family of 2 (and maybe another couple of
friends...max 5)
==> SUVs like Scorpio, Tavera were out.

3) Very little city driving....(still planned to keep the
M800, which is the best car to drive in Mumbai traffic)==> NHC is the best city car along with all the small cars...but this was not our objective.

4) With all the long drives, we still do not anticipate
using 1000+ miles per month.==> So diesels ruled out. (The performance factor was also weighed here). Even after using for 6 yrs we could not recover the diff in costs. All the more reason to go for a perf oriented petrol m/c.

Finally it boiled down to 3 cars: Indigo, Baleno & Petra.The Ikons, Accents etc were ruled out for sheer VFM factors & with some inputs from local mechanics.

Indigo: Good car, most VFM, but wife did not like the 'BOOT' stuck to the car. And given that it is mostly used as a fleet car....it was that much more difficult to say yes to it. Else, Indigo was my best bet. Yeah, the SX & GSX did make me think twice before discarding this option....but the 'BOOT' ......

Baleno: Almost decided on this one. But the Maruti dealer was not very enthu here. Did not have a new car in the showroom. And the old one looked like it had seen better times. Reminded me of how my car would look like in the next 3-4 yrs. But for its dated looks (though Black looks deadly) Baleno had all that I was looking for in my car:
- Performance (Outstanding)
- FE (10+ & 15+)
- ASS (not to mention MAruti's vast network)
- Discounts (we are Indians after all)

I am expecting Maruti to upgrade the looks of the Baleno on the lines of 800, zen and Esteem in the near future....but I need the car now.(Did consider the Esteem...but it lacked the appeal...has been here for a long time....the new look included).

Petra: Well, this was a real dark horse. Would'nt want to mention all the bad publicity in so many websites (including TEam-BHP).But my expereince so far has been nothing short of EXCELLANT.

Better by a long margin from: Opel (the new deal going on Corsa 1.4 @ 4.29 did make me think of this option). But did not get the test drive as promised. Lacklustre Sales response. M & M (was still considering the new Scorpio then). Again the test drive did not materialize ??

Maruti:
Mentioned above.

TATAid not take this further because of the 'Boot'.

FIAT: Both the Fiat dealers I contacted were very responsive:

FORTPOINT & ANUROOP. Fortpoint could not match the discounts given by Anuroop.....all the better for me since I was hesitant after reading the -ve reports about them. Anuroop promptly ( I could not believe by ears when the guy called me at 3:25 pm to tell that he was at my gates. This is for a test drive promised for 3:30 pm !!!) I was impressed. They sent me a brand new PETRA ELX in stunning Black colour. I fell for it. It has all the goodies & more (except Music System):
- ERVM
- Rear Spoiler with stop lights. (it looks stunning with this )
- Fake Wood dash
- leather covered steering & gear shift knob.
( I liked the reverse gear lock mechanism...Baleno did not have one nor did Indigo)
- Central locking
- Alloys
- Height adjustable driver seat (Gus this really is a
help)
- reading lights on the rear left & right. Apart from the once on the roof.
- rear neck rests. This suited me perfectly since I had ordered for a Car DVD system from Mumbai Mirror earlier to put it on my new car (whichever it was going to be).

Coming to the drive: The drive was magic. You cannot hear the engine in idle......need to rev it up to be sure tha tthe engine is running. And it idles at 1000 rpm ??not sure if this is normal or it explains the FE figures.The pick up was nothing short of a take off...at least for my friend who was in the passenger seat.Within no time we touched 100 + in Bandra-Kurla. The std equipment is very well thought out and that includes the position for the Music System/
2 problems areas though are:
1) REversing.....cannot see the rear properly.
2) U-Turns are a pain.
I can live with this as this constitutes less than 1 % of the total driving. Can's get ALL.

All said and done, I was ready for the price negotiations. Got good quotes from both dealers..compared....re-negotiated and got the best deal possible.4.83 on the road for EL OR 5.14 for the ELX. (includes Finance discounts). Both are the best deals that are available here in Mumbai. By the way, it makes good financial sense if you buy FIAT products in Mumbai.

Here is why:- No seperate Octroi/non-Octroi rates since it is manufactured in Mumbai. Everybody wants to register in Thane to avoid Octroi. So no trouble here.(makes a diff of 20 - 25 K).
- Very good dealer in Anuroop. (unlike TVS Sundaram in B,lore) - Rs 31000 for alloys, leather str, height adjustable seat, spoiler, ERVM, rear head rests & fake wood dash was not a bad deal.
FE is 10 & 14 . Not much diff from the Baleno which costs a cool Rs 90000 more @ 6.04 onroad in Mumbai ( best bargained price after dealer discounts for the LXi) I am going to Anuroop in a couple of days to sign on the dotted line. Kishore' article on the checklist before taking delivery of the car will come in handy. I am indebted to thie website for all the information I could make use of.Let me know if anyone can cross question the well thought out (atleast I think so) decision I finally arrived at.

Thanks BHPians,

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd September 2005 at 07:29.
Old 2nd September 2005, 14:03   #2
BANNED

GOOD GOD thats a LONG POST.!
Welcome anyway to the forum!
Old 2nd September 2005, 14:42   #3

welcome Scorp72 on board. very nice note on your decision making process- to the point.

btw my requirements / expectation / budget are same as mentioned by you - and i booked maruti swift.

it seems you were considering smthg with boot only (having two small cars is no point).

good choice buddy. enjoy ur drive and update the forum with your driving experience.

vivek
Old 2nd September 2005, 15:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey @scorp, what was the ex-showroom price quoted to you for the ELX .. would you mind giving a break up of the original cost and the discounts that brought it down to 5.14 ..

out here , they quoted 6.16 for the ELX !
Old 2nd September 2005, 15:40   #5
BHPian

Great decision and you'll never regret. Actually I thank FIAT for creating such a great machine after every long drive.
Old 2nd September 2005, 15:45   #6
BHPian

I really envy you. I had to settle for EL as there was no ELX available last december. Enjoy
Old 2nd September 2005, 17:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
hey @scorp, what was the ex-showroom price quoted to you for the ELX .. would you mind giving a break up of the original cost and the discounts that brought it down to 5.14 ..

out here , they quoted 6.16 for the ELX !
The ex-showroom price is Rs 5.29 Lac + 28K for egn + 20 k for ins.
Discount of Rs 63000 was thrown in for good measure (I am going in for the finance option).
This is the best possible buy, at least for Mumbai (mfr's base)

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:08   #8
BHPian

Hey scorp72 welcome to team-bhp, Fiat petra is a good choice and you won't regret it.
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey scorp welcome aboard

Enjoy your stay

petra is a wonderful car, hope you enjoy it..
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:32   #10
BHPian

hey scorp72 - great reasoning, all of it correct...

as a fiat user (palio d), i will only congratulate you on the choice of a fantastic car. you will find many supporters of the fiat performance here, but nobody who will condone the mess that fiat has got into.

just go for it - you will not regret it...all the best, tell us how it turns out - and don't forget to upgrade to some classy looking alloys and tubeless tyres before you take the fiat on those long journeys - drive safe.
Old 2nd September 2005, 18:33   #11
BHPian

Lightbulb

hey scorp,
welcome to the forum!
it seems a lot of buyers are understanding that the true value of a car does over-ride things like bad A.S.S (which by the way need not be as true as is brought out to be).
"surprise" had mentioned earlier today about how you can easily influence the service personnel in helping you get a good service. By influence, i dont infer bribing or something but talk to them like you would like to be talked to if you were in their place..
ok its kinda getting off line.
but it really feels good when like minded folks decide to go for the best package around for the best price.
im still hoping of getting the kind of bargain that you guys at mumbai are gettting for the petra 1.6 ELX
i know i wont! but what's there in having some hope
do read surprise's comments on the blog at the #9
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...310#post114310

Last edited by AvinashKeezh : 2nd September 2005 at 18:41.
Old 2nd September 2005, 19:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp72
The ex-showroom price is Rs 5.29 Lac
Wow ! that really is some bargain .. they quoted 5.73 ex-showroom at Kolkata .. that's almost half a lakh diff !!!
Old 2nd September 2005, 19:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
hey scorp72 - great reasoning, all of it correct...

as a fiat user (palio d), i will only congratulate you on the choice of a fantastic car. you will find many supporters of the fiat performance here, but nobody who will condone the mess that fiat has got into.

just go for it - you will not regret it...all the best, tell us how it turns out - and don't forget to upgrade to some classy looking alloys and tubeless tyres before you take the fiat on those long journeys - drive safe.
It comes with alloys . I checked with the Sales guy. He suggested to go with the original tyres. Not sure what option I have here. Remembering that I would need a puncture wala who understands tubeless from the normal ones on my long drives. Would take suggestions here sine I myself wanted to change to tubeless ones.
Old 3rd September 2005, 07:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to TBHP and congratulation. Have a great time with your new car.

From next time don't hit the 'return' key after every line.
Old 5th September 2005, 13:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Amazing.

You know, you Petra ELX guys are making me jealous. Only if I had waited. :( Not saying that I dont like my car, but you guys seem to be getting a better deal. Enjoy your car.

And you know what, your reasoning process was almost the same as mine. I did not go for the Baleno for exactly the same reason as you.

BTW, was it Sunil Jomraj from Anuroop? He is a good guy. Thanks to Cream for putting me onto him.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 5th September 2005 at 13:03.
Closed Thread