Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 05:07   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mhow
Posts: 18
Thanked: Once
Thumbs up Hi

Started driving in Dehradun - pushing my grandfather's Premier Padmini out early in the morning to a safe distance (out of earshot)... soon found myself driving up to Musoorie and back... Grown up in other grandad's Ambassador Mk-I (MYB-1227 "Mysore state" registration) and Dad's Mk-III (MEA-535). Dad soon advanced to a Maruti 800 DX and settled on an India V2 DLS.

I have now come of age - with my VERY OWN CAR - a DZire VDi! And I can't wait to get behind the wheel every morning. I maintain my logbook which I'm dying to share here!

Managed my membership second time around http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/I%20Rule.gif ! Ya Ya !

I'm a Major in the Indian Army (Infantry). Have spent quite a bit of time dune bashing in Army Maruti Gypsy MG-413s in Southern Rajasthan and the Dunes of the Nubra Valley in Ladakh (along the Shyok River). Have a bit of experience with Tatra 6x6 trucks as well... I'm a die-hard Turbo-Diesel fan and while many tried to convince me about the pros of the petrol engine, my search for a car was filtered initially by the "diesel" string...

More to come...
jonathanarmy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:57   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,998
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Welcome to the team!

Would love to hear about your experiences and travels with the army! Also congrats on the new Dzire.

Cheers!

PS: Full respect to you for being in the Army, sir. Really appreciate the effort you guys put in for the rest of us.
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:03   #3
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 403
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Welcome Major!

Have fun here, the 4x4 section will be delighted with your experiences.

TBHP is a great place and in fact the rules are quite like the army too...

But its automobile to the core. You've got a nice car too, sounds like the calmer side of you, LOL

see you around!

cheers

Last edited by johnda : 3rd September 2010 at 23:06. Reason: spell
johnda is offline  
Old 4th September 2010, 11:38   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mhow
Posts: 18
Thanked: Once
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Welcome to the team!

Would love to hear about your experiences and travels with the army! Also congrats on the new Dzire.

Cheers!

PS: Full respect to you for being in the Army, sir. Really appreciate the effort you guys put in for the rest of us.
Thanx
And I look forward to sharing whatever (limited) experience I have with the motoring world here. I see some really informed comments on the forum and it really is heartening to see people with some much knowledge and experience on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Welcome Major!

Have fun here, the 4x4 section will be delighted with your experiences.

TBHP is a great place and in fact the rules are quite like the army too...

But its automobile to the core. You've got a nice car too, sounds like the calmer side of you, LOL

see you around!

cheers
Thanx johnda!
I know - i can see the discipline around here and its really nice that they make sure they know who you are before they approve you!
I've already ordered the $5 sticker set and can't wait for it to arrive.
thanx once again for welcoming me.

regards.
jonathanarmy is offline  
Old 4th September 2010, 15:26   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,358
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Welcome Sir,

Now we have a person to know the details of Army auctions (jeeps/gypsy's) and the etc..

Btw why dont you enlighten us with the gist of the training one undergo when joining army? i heard you need to get up at 3am get ready by 4 and be there for training ground by 4.30 etc,is that true?
joshguy is offline  
Old 5th September 2010, 10:35   #6
BHPian
 
manishk83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Welcome Sir,

Now we have a person to know the details of Army auctions (jeeps/gypsy's) and the etc..

Btw why dont you enlighten us with the gist of the training one undergo when joining army? i heard you need to get up at 3am get ready by 4 and be there for training ground by 4.30 etc,is that true?
Yes. And do share too your travels in Ladakh & Rajasthan in your gypsy. these places have so far remained only a dream for me.

Welcome to TBHP!
manishk83 is offline  
Old 8th September 2010, 13:02   #7
NFS
BHPian
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Major Saahab ko Salam,

Welcome to TeamBHP, looking forward to interact with you.
NFS is offline  
Old 8th September 2010, 13:40   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

Welcome to the team bro. Nice to see another Doonite on the forum. More than half of all my doon friends are in the forces so I am sure we will have some common friends
I too was supposed to join IMA (PC 105) along with my gang of 3 best friends, but life had other plans

Have a wonderful time here.
p.s. You doing your YO's? Your location says Mhow so wanted to check.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th September 2010 at 13:42.
sammyboy is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks