Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2010, 07:32   #1
BHPian

Default Ready to soar

I have ben reading BHP forums from the sidelines for quite some time. When it was time to add a sibling to our 10 year old Santro, I rummaged through the pages of the forum to finally buy a Honda Jazz - and what a car it is! 10,000 kilometers and a year later, we are buying the Yeti to get a bit wild.

I have spend nearly 25 years of years pursuing aerosports like soaring (flying sailplanes and gliders) and Hot Air Ballooning. I worked for Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) for nearly 20 years. Among other things I taught how to fly gliders - and how to teach how to fly them. I have made nearly 20,000 flights in more than 40 different types of sailplanes. A sport that takes to air without an engine has also deeply inspired me to be in touch with nature; to protect and conserve it.

I love being on road too - to lose myself in order to find thye real me. I haven't met with success though. I love to travel to remote adiwasi villages, and hills and mountain communities. I presently work with a Non-Profit called Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR) that works with resource fragile, rainfed non-irrigated and very poor communities. Our starting point is water and soil conversation with holistic and integrated community development.

By education I am a system dynamicist. It is a fancy way of saying that I love to study systems and model them to discover their non-intuitive nature, which in itself is a consequence of a world that is inter-related, interconnected and interdependent; the system being bigger than sum of its parts. It is a fascinating journey for me.

I love photography in all its glory. My pictures are mostly those of people at work and the landscapes in which they work. I also like to capture birds and animals whenever I can.

My wife is an airline pilot. We share the journey together. Although her job means that we can't really go on long holidays together. But she joins in whenever she can. She too is a natural photographer and she loves to drive. It's amazing with what ease she can get familiar with a new car.

We have a son, Mehul. A teenager who knows more about cars than he knows about himself. I guess that is how teenagers are.

My mother lives with us.

Some very close and special friends are also part of this family. They too share our interests, and enthusiams.

Love for cars and aeroplane is challange for a family that loves nature so. It creates a dialectic tension that's nearly impossible to resolve.

I hope to actively participate and discuss various options that are available or will inevitably become available in future that help reduce carbon footprint and load on the environment we so much love.

Thanks for accepting me as part of the community.
Old 5th December 2010, 16:12   #2
BHPian

Default Welcome aboard Captain.

WoW!! What a pleasant surprise! Its raining aviators in TeamBHP now. First a Fighter Pilot(well, not forgetting 747 and airbus pilots already here)then a Aero engineer, now a Ex-DGCA official with lots and lots of flying experience. TeamBHP showed itself that road is not its limit. It does calls people from the skies.

Nice to have you here sir. A warm welcome from a Newbie.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:40   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Ready to soar

Hi Sushil,

Welcome aboard!

Must say I envy you for the being able to pursue your true interests. Something beyond most mortals who are torn between their true interests and the exigencies of real life.

I stole sometime last year to briefly step out of my usual life and experienced the sheer delight of Paragliding at Kanifnath near Pune. I also had the opportunity to ride a Sailplane (as a passenger ) from the Gliding Centre at Hadapsar. The three days I spent at Pune will for ever remain etched in my memory.

At the Gliding Centre I met a few aero modelling enthusiasts who showed great skill with their remote controlled air planes. I'd like to learn the hobby and I still regret not having taken down their contact details. Any possibility of you being able to help me establish contact with anyone of the breed?
Closed Thread