Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2006, 17:46   #1

Default call me tragic

but for romantic/nostalgic reasons i want to buy an ambassador. I was offered a 1999 1800 ISZ with AC but no power steering today in Karol Bagh, Delhi, in good (apparently) condition for Rs1,10,000. A dealer who wants a Rs3,000 commission said the price will come down to Rs90,000.
Good deal? Where can I get a mechanic to check it over before I part with cash?
Any other top tips greatly appreciated.
cheers

deano
Old 13th January 2006, 17:56   #2
BHPian

Welcome to the team. Please refrain yourself from posting duplicates. They take up space and are irritating.
Old 13th January 2006, 18:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdiga
Welcome to the team. Please refrain yourself from posting duplicates. They take up space and are irritating.
I wanted to introduce myself, but I also wanted advice from the forum where it's most likely to be found. Is there a way of posting to several forums without taking up too much space?
Is everyone here as friendly as you?
Old 13th January 2006, 18:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

welcome to tbhp.
please go through the announcement section before you begine posting.
enjoy your stay

Rev
Old 13th January 2006, 18:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Haha, welcome aboard. Meet Mr Rudra Sen, Ambyphile since birth! His Ambassador is something that you can see yourself in!

Some of us are more friendly...

Last edited by v1p3r : 13th January 2006 at 18:33.
Old 13th January 2006, 18:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano
I wanted to introduce myself, but I also wanted advice from the forum where it's most likely to be found. Is there a way of posting to several forums without taking up too much space?
Hmm, so where's the introduction ???
Do tell us more about yourself.

Read the announcement section while your around.

If you do post in the wrong section, someone would point it out sooner or later and your post would be moved by the admins.

About the ambassador mechanics in delhi... sorry, not my area!
Old 13th January 2006, 19:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

hey mod's.... FYI....

there are 2 threads for the same topic... the other one is "Call me wierd".... this is very very wierd.... why post 2 threads for 1 topic?
Old 13th January 2006, 19:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano
Put up a proper introduction. It'll help everybody here to know you better.

To know something about your Amby purchase decesion, you need to to go through the forum threads. It has multiple benefits...You get to know the forum better. You probably will have most of your answers without asking. You get to know the members better. You get to know the forum's flow better.

Go through this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ar-review.html
It may help you. Post this if you have questions, put up here or pm me.

For your information, everybody's is friendly here.

Welcome to TBHP.
Old 13th January 2006, 20:14   #9
BHPian

Hey deano, welcome to the forum man...have a great stay! How about a little more about yourself?...there isnt much info. that you have given us about you.
Old 13th January 2006, 21:38   #10

Default ok, i'll start again

I'm a correspondent for a London newspaper. I moved to Delhi in Sept with my family - my wife and our three children. We moved from Edinburgh in Scotland. We support Tottenham Hotspur in a manic way, and Hibernian (local team) in a casual way. We don't know enough about cricket, and not nearly enough about cars. But I do occasionally get asked to write about them (my newspaper has a magazine supplement called Driving, which has Jeremy Clarkson as a columnist) - like my other post about Tata's plans for a one lakh car.
I drive a 1974 VW Kombi Camper van in the UK, which is currently standing in a barn in East Lothian, covered in oil to protect against the winter rust (along with a friend's combine harvester). i imported the van from Australia (no rust) as the vehicle of my midlife crisis, and miss it terribly. The ambassador I crave is a local nostalgia trip to make up for the one I'm missing at home.
So, can anyone give me any top tips on Ambassadors?

luv and peace

deano
Old 13th January 2006, 21:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

That's a good and detailed one. How long are you planning to be in India? If it's for a short time, then I suggest it's no point looking at an Amby. It'll take too much of your time and energy.
No matter what your Karol Bagh dealers are telling you...Amby needs real good attention to be in shape.

Price what they're asking for, also is on higher side according to me. I may be wrong cause I don't know Delhi market. So double check.
Old 13th January 2006, 22:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to team-bhp. I used to own and drive an Ambassador a long time ago. Ambassadors have no resale value as the only people who buy them are taxi operators. Rs. 110,000 for a six year old Amby is a lot of money.
The Amby is an old design with bad fit and finish. It rattles like hell and parts need to be tightened pretty often. However, its Isuzu engine is very good. Be sure you have a lot of time on your hands if you want to own an Ambassador.
Old 13th January 2006, 22:21   #13

[img=http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4268/10001543ur.th.jpg]

thanks for the tips. this is my kombi before it was garaged!
Old 14th January 2006, 08:43   #14

what is the going rate for a 99 amby?
Old 14th January 2006, 09:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

You should not offer more than 70000/- for an ISZ1800 Amby. Check the engine condition from a proper garage. A new ISZ engine runs trouble free for almost 200000 km. Check engine bedding mounts. Check for any differential hum (Most probably it will be there if it's not a ISZ differential box). Try to get one with front disk brakes.

If the overall condition is good except for the engine...you can still pick it up. A little investigation in the market should fetch you a good ISZ engine within 10000/-.

But, as I mentioned before..you need to have lot of energy.
Closed Thread