Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th March 2014, 16:26   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A story of 3 workhorses: 2 Santro's and a Manza, Edit: Santro sold, Manza at 100k

@Amit, Congrats on the 100k ! Happy to see you enjoying the car, and wishing you a long happy ownership.

Maintenance at the rate of 1 Rs per km is actually pretty good.

I just wish Tata had given it better looks. IMO, it would have been more popular than it is now.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A story of 3 workhorses: 2 Santro's and a Manza, Edit: Santro sold, Manza at 100k

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I just wish Tata had given it better looks. IMO, it would have been more popular than it is now.
Dear condor, Tata has listened to your wish (though late) & they are coming up with the Zest. It is nothing, but the Manza in a new avatar, with projector headlamps, LED taillamps, completely new interiors & most importantly a well integrated boot .

Only issue here is they are late by at least 2-3 years & they will have to fight it out not with one but three competing cars in the segment the Dezire, Amaze and now the Xcent. Wishing them the very best.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 17:10   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
EDIT - in other news, my wife is in love with her new Grand i10. Even I love to drive that car. So smooth, silent and feature rich car that is. Suspension is also so unlike Hyundai !! Amazing mileage, we are getting about 16.5kmpl in city. We did only one highway trip to Punjab (600km) and it was 20.5kmpl. I am not making a mistake in typing here! This car is at 2k km's now with first free check-up service done.
Congratulations for new Hyundai Grand i10, the FE is simply good for 1.2 Kappa engine, both city and highway.

Until i read your previous post i thought it was a CRDI

And congratulations for 100k on your Manza.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 10:58   #109
BHPian

Default Manza at 105k km's and first breakdown

Manza has just touched 105k km's and unfortunately let me down twice on last 2 weekends.

On 6th Apr, we went for a family dinner and parked the car in CP area. After dinner we figured the car battery is totally down, central locking not working and no lights on instrument cluster and no cranking. Checked battery connections - all good but battery totally drained. Everything was normal when we parked. Jump started with the help of a car parked next to us. It was a Swift Dzire diesel and a friendly driver agreed to help immediately. Thankfully, I carry jump start cables with me all the time. Car started immediately but battery was not accepting charge i.e. I could drive but as soon as RPM would go down to idling, headlights would go dim and ABS + some more lights would light up on instrument cluster. Reached home safely and next morning got the battery looked at. It was showing12v on standing but as soon I'd turn on the ignition (not even cranking) voltage it would fall down to 5v. Anyway, 19 month and 1 week old Amaron battery gave up on us all of a sudden just after 1 month and 1 week its warranty expired. There we no sign of weak battery earlier. Did not have a lot of time on 7th Apr and I could get same Amaron Black 65ah battery easily from local shop so replaced with the same. Had a second thought of not going for same battery again but decided to give Amaron another chance thinking this as a one off case. Total damage rs4,000 after exchange of old battery. New battery is working fine as of now. So Manza is on third battery now, OE Exide lasted 31 months and replacement Amaron lasted 19 months.

Then next week end again on Saturday after some shopping and dinner we were on the way to home. From a red light stop as I tried to start in first gear, clutch pedal sank in and did not come back up. I thought master or slave cylinder is gone and I was 22 km's away from home at 9 in night with family. Thanks to some tips in this thread (Emergency driving - Without clutch), I drove for those 22 km's without clutch and for the first time in my life. It was some experience.

Next day morning had a look at the car and found the clutch fluid pipe had come off from the slave cylinder. Both cylinders looked okay. Pipe is attached to slave cylinder through a wire type lock and it had come off. If you read my previous posts, you will see that I got the clutch switch changed a few days back and I also got clutch bleeding done that time which involved removing this lock and putting it back after bleeding. So I headed straight to the nearby TASS (who did the bleeding) in my other car, got a senior mechanic with me home and asked him to remove slave cylinder and check. Slave cylinder was fine; the wire type lock had become a bit loose and hence could not hold the pipe in place. We put the pipe back in, tightened the lock carefully, topped up the fluid and bled the clutch and it's been working fine since then. Total cost for this only rs.80 (250ml clutch fluid) but inconvenience and experience was priceless!

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 19th April 2014 at 11:03.
amit1234singla is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:24   #110
BHPian

Default Re: Manza at 110k km's

Manza has been running very well is now at 110k km's. I got the car serviced at 107k km's and got engine oil, oil filter and air filter changed. Engine oil used was Mobil Super 5W40 fully synthetic (same as in link below). Total cost of the service was rs 2,800. (2,100 for oil, 250 for UFI oil filter, 300 air filter and 150 for oil change labor).

At 110k km's, engine is in perfect shape. No black smoke or back pressure etc. and good pickup. Mileage on the car is still awesome, about 18 in city and 22 highways. Apart from tyres which will need replacement in next 5k km's or so, everything else is as good as it can be.

Planning for an upgrade now. Car is listed in classifieds:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ta/Manza.html/

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/oils-fluid...w-40-3-5l.html
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 13:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning for an upgrade now. Car is listed in classifieds:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ta/Manza.html/
Hi Amit, sad to know that you would be parting ways with your Manza. What month/year model is it? If the car is running so good, why the need for upgrade?

My bad luck that I am located far away from you. Had I been residing in NCR or if this car was on sale in Pune, I would have gone for it blindfolded as an upgrade over my 10 year old Indica.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 15:55   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi Amit, sad to know that you would be parting ways with your Manza. What month/year model is it? If the car is running so good, why the need for upgrade?

My bad luck that I am located far away from you. Had I been residing in NCR or if this car was on sale in Pune, I would have gone for it blindfolded as an upgrade over my 10 year old Indica.
Well the reason for upgrade is just that > 'Upgrade'!

Mine is Jan 2010 made car with 110k km's. Car is going on absolutely fine but I think we have got the SUV bug, or more of crossover bug. Planning to go for a Duster / Terrano and travel a lot more than we do currently. My son is 4+ now and we like to travel by road.
Old 10th August 2014, 04:20   #113
BHPian

My journey with Manza has ended yesterday as I have sold the car. We are taking delivery of Duster 110 RXZ today morning. Car was delivered to an individual buyer (but through the Renault dealer where we booked Duster).

Tata cars I think get the worst depreciation hit, and Manza is even worse that Indigo. I was okay to let go of my car at 3L but none of the dealers valued above 2.5L. I finally sold at 2.6L.

Summary of last 4.5 years with Manza.

110k km's, 2 sets of tires, Clutch changed once, Suspension changed once, battery changed twice and timing chain changed once. Rest all usual services (oils and filters). Maintenance cost (total including tires) rs.0.91 per km. Fuel cost (at current diesel prices) rs.3 per km. Depreciation cost at 110k km rs.3.82 per km.

So now all three cars in this thread are sold and both of our cars are newly bought in 2014.

Let's see how life with Duster goes on, for now we are starting it with a 2,000 km Rajasthan trip starting 16th August for a week!!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 10th August 2014 at 04:24.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:44   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My journey with Manza has ended yesterday as I have sold the car. We are taking delivery of Duster 110 RXZ today morning. Car was delivered to an individual buyer (but through the Renault dealer where we booked Duster).

Tata cars I think get the worst depreciation hit, and Manza is even worse that Indigo. I was okay to let go of my car at 3L but none of the dealers valued above 2.5L. I finally sold at 2.6L.
You seem to have moved very swiftly on your Manza sale and new Duster booking. You posted the ad on TBHP classifieds on 30-July-2014 and 10-Aug-2014 your car is sold. I guess the dealer sniffed your desperation to dispose off your Manza, hence the low valuation. Had you made the deal with an individual buyer, it would have easily fetched you 60-70K more, given the very good condition of your car.

Name:  Manza Valuation  Amit Singla.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  55.2 KB

Quote:

110k km's, 2 sets of tires, Clutch changed once, Suspension changed once, battery changed twice and timing chain changed once. Rest all usual services (oils and filters). Maintenance cost (total including tires) rs.0.91 per km. Fuel cost (at current diesel prices) rs.3 per km. Depreciation cost at 110k km rs.3.82 per km.
All these are regular wear and tear items. No additional costs whatsoever. The buyer of this car must really be a lucky one. In all probability the Renault dealer must have made a very fat margin on this deal.

Quote:
So now all three cars in this thread are sold and both of our cars are newly bought in 2014.
I know that you are going for the Duster, which is the other car?

Quote:
Let's see how life with Duster goes on, for now we are starting it with a 2,000 km Rajasthan trip starting 16th August for a week!!
Many congratulations on taking the delivery of your Duster today on the auspicious day of Raksha Bandhan. Wishing you many happy (s)miles with you Duster. Please do share the on-road price break-up of the Duster. Any discounts/offers on the Duster?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 10th August 2014 at 10:50.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 21:31   #115
BHPian

Amit
Sad to know that you are parting with your Manza. Your Manza thread is the best Manza maintenance reference thread I have seen and had referred quite a few friends to your thread for queries on Manza maintenance.

I sold mine exactly 1 year after purchase car at R. 6.1L through my wife company's bulletin board. Most dealers offered me Rs 5-5.75L at max with the ex-showroom price being ~6.8L. I guess your IDV on the car would have been close to the selling price.

The primary issue with the resale value is the brand image of the Tata cars. Despite Tata improving the quality on Manza leaps and bounds over Indica/Indigo, the brand image pulls down the value of an otherwise good car by quite a degree. People are unable to attribute quality to a Tata product and people just don't seem to associate top end models (ABS/airbags) to Tata cars. Insurance companies also seems to give higher depreciation in calculating the IDV of Tata cars and most second hand dealers look at IDV to find the price.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 21:53   #116
BHPian

Thumbs up All the best !

Quote:

Sad to see the car go. Your thread was one of the most detailed and informative ones on Manza and put paid to all the doubts that prospective buyers and owners had. It cleared away all doubts and misgivings that one had about a new Tata product. We sure did learn a whole lot from the thread and realised that Manza, after all, is a "Jolly Good Fellow" as the Brits say - it delivers, quietly and unassumingly.

All the same, we hope for a even more detailed dissection of the 110 Duster and the strengths and weaknesses of the car. Happy mile munching on the new car !

All the best !

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 10th August 2014 at 21:58.
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote