Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th May 2011, 11:10   #1
BHPian

Default Maruti Ritz : My First Car. 28,000 kms report!

I just got the Team BHP stickers, loved the ‘Love Cars, Live Cars’ sticker. And the first sticker that I put on my car was ‘Live to Drive’.

I own a Maruti Suzuki Ritz, Vxi ABS. It has been almost one and half year since I bought it. And I am loving it. It’s our first car. So here is the story and experience with her till today.

Buying the Car,
Honestly, It was not simple. Probably as everybody faces it. I was excited, eager & confused. There was Power, Looks, fuel efficiency, leg space, boot space, Price, after sales service, ground clearance, Brand image and what not to consider. Man!

I kept on going from one manufacturer to another. Not that I was not sure on what I wanted. But every car was better than other in at least one aspect, so it took me quite some time to finalize. Finally it came down to (If I may say) the Most trusted brand of India in Car Industry. Maruti.
It was last quarter of 2009, Ritz was fresh by that time in market. Many (many) people were talking about how bad it looked from Rear. But the front part grew big on me and I always loved it. I was not gone go for Swift or Dzire, just because it was too common by that time (no offence people). So we finalized the Ritz.
I booked my first car from SK Wheels, they did not assure any quick delivery neither of any goodies. Took my mom dad to Automotive showroom, just to show them car once more. Got into discussion and they assured me quicker delivery with some goodies. So I cancelled the SK wheels booking, and booked car with Automotive. It was still a three months wait. But then on one fine morning got a call from them that they have a Vxi ABS available, but in a different color. I jumped onto it. It was my second choice of color. I paid 5.2 L for the car on road. Paid another 20k for accessories like leather seats. ICE. It was September 2009.

Now, in the last one and half year, I have clocked almost 28k on the dial. Have done quite a few road trips, through Kokan, Goa, places around pune, Mumbai. And she has always been with us.

With this experience, I can put down some pointers on the plus and minus side of the car.
1. Power : Its powered by the K12 petrol engine. Its peppy. It does rev up quickly if you put down the peddle to floor. But having said that, it’s a 1.2 liter engine afterall. You put five people in the car with bags filling up the boot. It does run out of breath. I found that in the kasara ghat on way to Nasik. I really had to downshift and push hard to get ahead of traffic. Perhaps, I was asking too much out of other wise efficient engine.

2. Engine Noise.: It is silent, unless you compare with a Honda or something. You don’t get too much of ‘engine’ noise in the cabin, but man the tyre noise is bad. You drive on the Mumbai pune express highway or any other cement road. All you have to do is put on the music a bit loud.

3. Space : It feels roomy. It has more than ample head room. I am 5’9 and still have quite some space over my head. That’s good! It really gives a feel of a roomy and spacious car. I am stressing on “feel”, because? The shoulder room makes it just about average. Five people is not comfortable in this car. You have four, and all of them will be satisfied.

4. Seats : Front row seats are comfortable. Back row, HARD. Not comfortable for long distance at all.. My wife has put in some pillows for the back seats now. Just to add some comfort for the back seats. Have been in the font row, right side seat all along in these 28k run so I am happy!

Ride quality at back is not good at all, you can count all the pot holes, the driver has taken you through. The hard/ flat seats don’t make it any easy either. Zero marks for the back seat ride.

5. Interiors : Interiors are good and have a decent build. The dual tone dash board is a nice addition. Tacko meter which pops up on the dash board is a new addition. I try to keep that in mind while changing the gear. Switch up always in the range of 1900 to 2000 range. I had read it somewhere, and have been following . Then there is the pocket on the dash that’s a good uitility to put in all your toll receipts and petrol fill up receipts. Don’t ever put in coins in that tray. It just adds up some more sound!

6. Driving position : Driving position is good, there is no telescopic stearing, or music controls on stearing but its comfortable. The view from drivers position is enough, rear visibility because of rear window is just about average.

7. Boot Space : Nothing much to write on it. Its minimal. But then it’s a car that you use for day to day use. Perhaps, your weekly tour of Big bazaars, Mores or Reilance fresh it can take it up. But you are planning a week long road trip for four people with a big bag each. You start realizing what this car is really missing.

8. Looks : Looks are subjective. You seat down in front of the car, that look makes me thing that somebody is pulling the car from behind and she is all willing to race away. She has that pulled back look. About the rear side, I won’t comment much, enough has already been said about it. But I really like the tail light design. The standard head lights (60/55), were not enough. I upgraded immediately.

9. Have I missed something?
Oh yeah, the most important Question “kitana deti hai?”

I have been using an good app on my Android phone called ‘aCar’. You can put in the details of each fill up, and it will give you all the stats you can ask for. Have been using it for almost 1 year plus. The result, Average fuel efficiency of 13.75 km/lt. Maximum 15.76 and least in Mumbai traffic was 10.5. I always try and recollect what did I do good on that 15.76 Km/lt drive. But No, cant figure out.
Having said that, I am happy with average of 13.75, with AC always on. Probably have driven just over 50 odd kms in the entire run of 28k where the windows were rolled down.

10. Scratches and dents. : Not that they happen because of your mistake all the time. But the more frustrating are the ones that happen because of somebody else’s sheer stupidity.
Out of the two that I experienced, one was because of my judgment error(50%) and the Bus driver (50%).
The second was unthinkable. A guy reversing in, hit us side on, I still can’t figure out how can you not see a whole car standing behind you especially when you are reversing. Aren’t you supposed to look back when you are reversing. When I realized he is not stopping, I wanted to take a reverse myself, but then first thing I noticed that there was a car behind me. I didn’t take back. I blew horn but invain. He hit us, and there, it had a dent on front wheel arch. It happened in Goa and that was the only sad thing. Otherwise it was a fantastic Goa Road trip.

11. Service Costs & operating cost: Servicing cost have been normal so far had one complete service where oil the oiles and filters were changed after 21k, that costed me somewhere around 6k. And except for removing the dents, it has been reasonable. The first dent that I mentioned above costed me around 5k after insurance, yeah it was my mistake so that was alright.
The fuel cost has been growing, the first petrol fill up that I did was around 51 per liter to almost 70 that we are shelling out now. Now, I am wondering should I have gone for an oil burner.

Overall, I am happy with Ritz. Its just the car you need on your day to day use to office and back. Some short trips around. Not much of maintenance and a plain workhorse. It won’t complain and will be standing by as and when you need it. Thanks Maruti Suzuki.
nacd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 11:39   #2
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ritz : My First Car. 28,000 kms report!

Nice review Nacd80.Our car is now at 30k kms because the car is almost static in our garage because my dad got transfer to kannur ,almost 100 kms away and uses train for his commute.Poor car. You forgot to mention the color of your car.
All the best for your mile munching
Sreehari
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 13:23   #3
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ritz : My First Car. 28,000 kms report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
You forgot to mention the color of your car.
All the best for your mile munching
Sreehari
Thanks SHK8896, mine is in Blue blaze. will put up some pics in a day or two.
nacd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 15:14   #4

Default Re: Maruti Ritz : My First Car. 28,000 kms report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacd80 View Post

2. Engine Noise.: It is silent, unless you compare with a Honda or something. You don’t get too much of ‘engine’ noise in the cabin, but man the tyre noise is bad. You drive on the Mumbai pune express highway or any other cement road. All you have to do is put on the music a bit loud.
Hi nacd80-
I own an 09 Ritz VXI car with around 31k on the clock (bought it used, had 16k when i bought it). In around 11 months of ownership and 15k usage, I noticed that the tyre noise is really really irritating me but thats not just me and all the Ritz owners are complaining about it.

What is worrying me more these days is the engine noise,
It seemed very silent when I bought but after using it for about 3k, I somehow feel that the engine noise is really high. I usually cruise around 90-100 kmph and in a few occasions touch 115-120 kmph but not beyond it.

Since you have owned it for long enough, do you hear any unusual engine noise inside the cabin?

I got it serviced recently at the nearest A.S.S and mentioned it there, the guy there says there is no problem and its all psychological which isn't the case.

Any suggestions would bring some peace of mind!!!!
OffDaBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 16:01   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Ritz : My First Car. 28,000 kms report!

That's a well presented review!

I own a Ritz Zxi. It has clocked about 5K kms now. I do feel that the Tyre noise is pretty high. I had discussion's with some technicians and they said it is because of the JK vectra tyres that come as stock. They advised me to switch to Michelin or Bridgestone. I will be doing it ASAP.

About, the engine noise - I have not felt anything bad from the engine as such but i do have a sweet "vroom" sound that comes because of the slight bend on the exhaust tip (which is no modification). It makes you just Revv the engine every time the vehicle is idle. I love that sound!

This is my baby..
Name:  ritz.jpg
Views: 6823
Size:  122.1 KB
Manzone799 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote