Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 10:11   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

How is reliability of the diesel motor?. I have been offered couple of diesel 1.9D's that has run 1 lac km.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 14:57   #17
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
How is reliability of the diesel motor?. I have been offered couple of diesel 1.9D's that has run 1 lac km.

Regards,
Vijay
The reliability is totally Dependant on the how the engine is maintained, the engine is reliable, even my car has crossed 1 Lac Km, but Engine is very smooth,
hardly feels any difference, but since 50 k Km the Car is running on Synthetic oil,
Also regular belts changes, Good filters.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 07:54   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
The reliability is totally Dependant on the how the engine is maintained, the engine is reliable, even my car has crossed 1 Lac Km, but Engine is very smooth,
hardly feels any difference, but since 50 k Km the Car is running on Synthetic oil,
Also regular belts changes, Good filters.
Nice to hear. I am also planning to change synthetic for my GTX. What I have heard is if "check engine" light comes up the engine can be cranked up, but the performance will not be same as earlier. The ultimate solution is to replace the pump cost 15K. Have you encountered Check engine light on your car?

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 01:16   #19
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Hi Parimal,
I purchased a 2005 model Palio D 1.9 with 52K on ODO in Bangalore 12 days back.
It is good to drive in city but in high way it is a medium performer. ( I am having Innova also, so may be the experience that i am having with Palio is bit different)
I replaced engine oil with Salenia 5w40 (Rs 650/Ltr) , diesel filter (Delphi) Rs 2850, air and oil filters, transmission oil , pwr steering fluid etc.
Also changed the 2 head light assembly and also placed a spacer in 4 shocks,
Got 12 Km/Litr mileage (30% high way +70 % Bangalore traffic) , but today i had a 380 KM trip and i got 15.5 KM/L with 5 people ,A/c 85% on. (I used 2 bottles of injector cleaners to run 740 KM)
Will come back with my updates soon.
Regards
Denny
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 22:57   #20
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi Parimal,
I purchased a 2005 model Palio D 1.9 with 52K on ODO in Bangalore 12 days back.
It is good to drive in city but in high way it is a medium performer. ( I am having Innova also, so may be the experience that i am having with Palio is bit different)
I replaced engine oil with Salenia 5w40 (Rs 650/Ltr) , diesel filter (Delphi) Rs 2850, air and oil filters, transmission oil , pwr steering fluid etc.
Also changed the 2 head light assembly and also placed a spacer in 4 shocks,
Got 12 Km/Litr mileage (30% high way +70 % Bangalore traffic) , but today i had a 380 KM trip and i got 15.5 KM/L with 5 people ,A/c 85% on. (I used 2 bottles of injector cleaners to run 740 KM)
Will come back with my updates soon.
Regards
Denny
Congrats for the Purchase, Its good car for City, but even on highways if the speed is 100 -120 Km/hr its good, the comfort and the steering input is great, good that you have checked all fluids, how much oil did they put engine. Also check the condition of timing and alternator belts, if found cracks replace it.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 13:33   #21
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

I checked up my Palio 1.9 D at a garage and they found that the timing was not right. Once it was corrected the engine noise reduced by 30%-40% percentage.
Hope now the mileage and the driving experience level also will go up.
Mechanic told me that the timing belt is new but its not original and should be replaced with OE. I saw the name written on the belt was "dayco". Not sure if it is OE.
Hope you are referring to the long belt, when i enquired about that one the mechanic told me that no need to replace now as it will call for replacing some other parts like some bearings also and the cost will be 7.5K. The mechanic is a bit known guy with Fiat folks in B'lore.

I will update the experience post timing correction soon.

Planning for a 'pipercorss' Air filter. It seems like it is good for improving driving experience and efficiency. Unlike the other performance filter which allows the dust particles to creep in this one seems to be good. I've met a gentleman who is using this one since few years in his Siena and Palio.

Does anyone have experience with "pipercorss" here?


Regards
Denny
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 14:16   #22
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Congrats for the Purchase, Its good car for City, but even on highways if the speed is 100 -120 Km/hr its good, the comfort and the steering input is great, good that you have checked all fluids, how much oil did they put engine. Also check the condition of timing and alternator belts, if found cracks replace it.
Hi Parimal,

Sorry, missed answering your query. I've bought Salenia 4 litres as loose from Concorde Bangalore.
3.5 Litres were sufficient to bring the oil level to MAX limit on the engine oil dip stick.

I think its better to use mineral oil or semi synthetic 10w40 ,which is cheaper and increase the oil change frequency. What do you say?

Anway i am waiting to see the changes after I fit the "pipercross' air filter.

Thanks & Regards
Denny
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:51   #23
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi Parimal,

Sorry, missed answering your query. I've bought Salenia 4 litres as loose from Concorde Bangalore.
3.5 Litres were sufficient to bring the oil level to MAX limit on the engine oil dip stick.

I think its better to use mineral oil or semi synthetic 10w40 ,which is cheaper and increase the oil change frequency. What do you say?

Anway i am waiting to see the changes after I fit the "pipercross' air filter.

Thanks & Regards
Denny
Hi Denny,

Stick to Selenia its full synthetic, i changed the oil after 15k no issues at all, engine runs very smooth, and even if the oil capacity is 4 lits you should no exceed it more than 3.4 Lits(As per Fiat expert from BU Bhandari, Pune).

Do let us know the change after the new filer, i have k & N stock filter but very difficult to clean and unable to find the cleaning kit as well as no dealer in Mumbai has in stock.

Do you got manual with your car .? OW OM me your E mail ID i have one in Pdf format.

And Pictures please.

Parimal Gandhe.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:14   #24
h14
BHPian
 
h14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CBE/BLR
Posts: 802
Thanked: 1,347 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Hi parimal_g & Tornado. Hearty congratulations on your beasts.

Earlier even i was on the lookout for a Palio 1.9D when parting ways with my UnoD and I ended up buying a Spark LPG fearing the fuel pump woes. Though the spark was a good car, I was never comfortable with it on the highway. Used it for a year before switching back to FIAT.

Anyways, just wanted to inform you that Selena is not fully synthetic, it is semi-synthetic and I have been using it in my Palio 1.3MJD. I'm sticking to a 15,000 km change interval.

@Tornado, please do post your views on the pipercross filters. Is it stock replacement? I've been happy with K&N in my dad's Linea and his previous Palio 1.2 and planning on the same for my Palio MJD. Maybe I will wait for your review of the pipercross filters before deciding.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:55   #25
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Hi parimal_g & Tornado. Hearty congratulations on your beasts.

Earlier even i was on the lookout for a Palio 1.9D when parting ways with my UnoD and I ended up buying a Spark LPG fearing the fuel pump woes. Though the spark was a good car, I was never comfortable with it on the highway. Used it for a year before switching back to FIAT.

Anyways, just wanted to inform you that Selena is not fully synthetic, it is semi-synthetic and I have been using it in my Palio 1.3MJD. I'm sticking to a 15,000 km change interval.

@Tornado, please do post your views on the pipercross filters. Is it stock replacement? I've been happy with K&N in my dad's Linea and his previous Palio 1.2 and planning on the same for my Palio MJD. Maybe I will wait for your review of the pipercross filters before deciding.
Hi,
If 5w40 is semi synthetic then 10 W 40 ( castrol magnatec) or Shell Helix HX-7 (10w40)is also semi synthetic.It just costs Rs1000+ for 3.5 Liters.
So 7500 KM interval with these semi synthetci might be good and economical.

When i was having a discussion with one FIAT (user) veteran ,he told me that he had used both KnN and Pipercorss on Siena and Palio, mechanic who was listening to our chats intervened and told us that the KnN was leaving dusts inside the filter elements while pipercorss was neat.

You may also try to get some information regarding the statement given by the mechanic. I think he could be right as he is a knowledgeable guy.

I was trying to contact the dealer today and he is not reachable. I have to shell out around 3.2K for the filter.

I will update the thread once i use the same.

Regards
Denny
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 09:59   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Hey Parimal,

Congrats on keeping the Italian beauty in good shape! It is a great car with amazing engine and excellent syling. I had one five years back, a brand new one bought as part of Car lease plan of company. Had to give it back when i left after driving the beauty for six months when i left the company.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:18   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 334
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Hello Denny,

Welcome to TBHP mate. Where are you getting your car checked. I also want to hook up my car to an examiner and get the timing checked. My mechanic has said the timing it correct but I would just want to get a second opinion on it so that I just dont shell out too much money on my running

Regards
Ravi
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 23:57   #28
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the welcome note.

I have done the timing correction at Gowri motors. Afterwards it became less noisy. Now i am getting 13+ mileage in b'lore traffic with 80 % A/C.

One of the Palio user group friends has given me the reference of Mr.Jacob Mathews of Miles motors in Kalyan Nagar, B'lore ( not sure about garage name though) as this place seemed more reasonable to him.
I am planing to visit this place also.

The good thing is that if you are unable to communicate in regional language then you can communicate with Jacob in English too. I had a chat with him and felt good.

Yeah, cross checking is good, prevention is better than cure. :-)

Give your email id so that i can send you both Garage details.

Regards
Denny
Responsible Driving!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Hello Denny,

Welcome to TBHP mate. Where are you getting your car checked. I also want to hook up my car to an examiner and get the timing checked. My mechanic has said the timing it correct but I would just want to get a second opinion on it so that I just dont shell out too much money on my running

Regards
Ravi
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 08:12   #29
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Hi parimal & Fellow BHPians,

I recently changed the high beam bulbs alone (philips white) it costs Rs 1000. 2 parking bulbs also came along with the package.

I left my palio D to a service station in Bangalore for arresting the oil leaks
& coolant leak.

As there was a small noise from the alternator belt side it was also inspected.
I was away from city for Onam holidays when these works were carried out.

I left the car with mechanic as i felt the place as a reliable one, Mechanic
changed the alternator pulley ( please note its just the PULLEY) and charged me Rs 5800 for the pulley alone.

I am surprised at this rate of Rs 5800 for a small pulley.

Do anyone has experience in changing the alternator pulley? Any idea how much OE costs?

Regards



Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Forgot few things to add.

1> Wiper Blade changed three times. Cost 350 Rs for both Blades, and Make Bosch.
2> Coolant changed twice Drained one done the flusing also, dont rember the exact cost, but roughly 400 Rs for Flush and 3-400 Rs for coolant.
3> Need to repair the wiring of Headlights and turn indicators, due to rat bites.
4> Blown Fuses, 2-3 each 10 Rs.
5> Change Bulbs to Osram Blue Vision, Cost 800 Rs for All H1 and H7.
6> Regularly doing the Balancing and alignment.250 Rs for alingment, weight cost really dont remember.
7> Earlier XM1s were really puncture prone, minimum 15-16 Punctures.This set is awesome not a single one till date.
8> Master Cylender changed once, Cost 1100 and labour 500 Rs.
9> Rear Break liners changed once 650Rs and one Cylender 280 Rs.
10> One door Lock (650 Entire assembley), other two doors repaied twice 250 Each.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 19:15   #30
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Life With Italian Beauty, 100,000 Completed,Fiat Palio 1.9 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi parimal & Fellow BHPians,

I recently changed the high beam bulbs alone (philips white) it costs Rs 1000. 2 parking bulbs also came along with the package.

I left my palio D to a service station in Bangalore for arresting the oil leaks
& coolant leak.

As there was a small noise from the alternator belt side it was also inspected.
I was away from city for Onam holidays when these works were carried out.

I left the car with mechanic as i felt the place as a reliable one, Mechanic
changed the alternator pulley ( please note its just the PULLEY) and charged me Rs 5800 for the pulley alone.

I am surprised at this rate of Rs 5800 for a small pulley.

Do anyone has experience in changing the alternator pulley? Any idea how much OE costs?

Regards

Hi Tornado,

The cost for the pully should not exceed more than 1700 Rs. Last month only i have changed this pully and Alternator Belt. This i brought from Shetty Moters, Mumbai the part is not a Fiat branded Box,but as per the shop owner it's OEM only.

Let me know how is the Head light through is now, are you seeing any improvement, currently i have OSRAM blue vision they are better than stock but not enough for the night driving.

Last edited by parimal_g : 13th September 2011 at 19:17. Reason: Spell check
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apollo launches Amazer 4G Life - Claimed life of 100,000 kms Tushar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th June 2016 18:39
Laura - Completed 100,000 KM on 15th May 2012 vipul_bscity Long-Term Ownership Reviews 37 14th June 2012 16:02
The Italian beauty continues to mesmerize.30,000 kms in the Punto MJD E+!!! ironshark Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 19 30th November 2011 11:36
Time to own my very own italian beauty - Fiat Linea Petrol E+ rajagopal_j Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 13th January 2010 12:51
My Italian Beauty - Fiat Linea tinkywinky Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 69 20th April 2009 17:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks